PDA

View Full Version : Help with Belt and Disk Sanders

Rick Haigh
11-03-2003, 1:53 PM
For the last year I have been searching for a belt/disk sander. I am confused by the vast difference in cost between the Delta/Jet/PM and Grizzly models. Why are the big name brands so much more expensive? Why should I spend $700-1500 for a sander, when Grizzly has one for $450?

The Grizzly model I have been looking at is the G1276. Does anyone have any experience with the Grizzly sanders? What should I look for in a sander?

Thanks,
Rick

Tony Sade
11-03-2003, 2:38 PM
Hi Rick-I've got the 1276 (that's the slower speed model, right?) and think it's a gem-stout, tracks well and does everything I ask of it. I don't think you'll be unhappy. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a slot on the disk side table that runs perpendicular to the disk. I'm sure there's a work around, but I haven't taken the time to figure out how to make a circle sanding jig which would be easier with a delta-style slot that's perpendicular. HTH, Tony

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-03-2003, 7:01 PM
For the last year I have been searching for a belt/disk sander. I am confused by the vast difference in cost between the Delta/Jet/PM and Grizzly models. Why are the big name brands so much more expensive? Why should I spend $700-1500 for a sander, when Grizzly has one for $450?

The Grizzly model I have been looking at is the G1276. Does anyone have any experience with the Grizzly sanders? What should I look for in a sander?

Thanks,
Rick

What does the Grizzly 6 x 80 edge sander go for? We've got the JET 6 x 89 at the mesquite outfit and I'll only use a disc sander as a last resort anymore. Far as I'm concerned, the edge sander is much more appropriate for sanding things you'd normally use the disc for because the belt travels in a line, not an arc. You can actually get a straight edge on a tableleg, for instance. And with the little secondary table at the end, you can use the round end for inside curves.

KC

Rick Haigh
11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
KC,
I had not considered the edge sander, because I thought it may be too specialized. How often do you use the edge sander? Is it easy to change from vertical to horizontal?

Currently all I have is a belt sander flipped upside down. This is ok for small jobs, but it is really too shaky.

Thanks,
Rick

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-04-2003, 7:12 AM
KC,
I had not considered the edge sander, because I thought it may be too specialized. How often do you use the edge sander? Is it easy to change from vertical to horizontal?

Currently all I have is a belt sander flipped upside down. This is ok for small jobs, but it is really too shaky.

Thanks,
Rick

The edge sander doesn't go vertical. Check out a pic on the Grizzly website. I use it all the time...much more than I thought I would.

KC

Mike Evertsen
11-04-2003, 8:22 AM
the different might be gray and white and yellowish paint cost more than green and which color do you want in your shop?? I been pricing jointers looking mostly grey and green and white and yellowish ,,,,,,,
from what I've been reading the green tools are as good as the others so I'm going for for the 8" green and saving some green,,,,,

Lynn Sonier
11-04-2003, 8:52 AM
Bought a 36x4 belt/6"disc unit at Harbor Freight for about $75. I use the heck out of it and like it a lot. That leaves me a couple of hundred dollars to do something else with, like buy more wood to mess up.

Jim Becker
11-04-2003, 9:50 AM
I have the G1276...it's the first Grizzly major machine I've owned and I am very pleased with it. The slower speed reduces the chance of burning yet is still very effective for what these machines are designed for...shaping. About the only thing I've found with it that requires some thought is the dust port on the disk sander...but that hasn't been a problem since I've not found a cause to use it. The belt was the right tool for everything I've done so far. In fact, in retrospect (and if I had the room) I probably should have opted for an edge sander instead of the combo for "my" needs.

The G1276 is a good value, a good tool and about the best deal on the market for this kind of machine. IMHO, of course.

Alan Turner
11-04-2003, 10:13 AM
I have the WoodTek 6 x 89 edge sander, and it is quite useful. I generally run a zirconia alumnia belt (the blue one) and it seems to last almost forever. You can set the cast table at a precise 90 deg. to the belt, and when doing things like removing saw marks from a tapered leg, it is quick and accurate, and you can hold the edges to the right angle. Platen is 33" long. On a 6x48, I found that the section of a leg did not stay at all square. Plus, with the longer belt, fewer changes needed. I rarely move it off of its 90 deg. setting, but it doesn't take long to change it. This is a Twi. machine, and it seems fine. The motor is 2hp (I think), and is TEFC. No problems with it. Tracking is fine. A workhorse. About $600, if I recall. You can angle the table so that you use more of the belt.
Alan

John Weber
11-04-2003, 10:34 AM
Rick,

An edge sander is the way to go unless you need the disk. Any of the 6x89" belt machines are decent (Jet, Powermatic, Woodtek, Bridgewood, maybe others). I would stay away from the Grizzly 6x80" belt. The belts are not readily available, and I've seen 2 that had snapped drive shafts. None of the machines are super heavy duty, but the 6x89 imports have 3' plattens, belts that adjust from 0 to 90 degrees, and most include a end table for sanding curves on the idler pulley. I think the Bridgewood is the least expensive. You can check hp, warranty, local supplier, as well as price.

Good Luck - John