PDA

View Full Version : Need help rolling with punches

Russ Reaney
11-27-2006, 9:12 PM
I ordered a case of laser tiles ( 4 1/4 x 4 1/4) from laser tiles two weeks ago for an order I have, I called laser tiles to see where my case was and they told me in the same phone call first that their shipping clerk was sick, then they said they miss the order.
And yes the customer wants them yesterday
Now I think I should go to Lowes or home depot, purchase regular tiles, mask, laser, sandblast and paint.
White tiles with text on then, customer wants black text.
What paint and what would you recommend to seal the paint with? A clear sealer of some kind, polyurethane maybe. Any ideas?
signed out of time.

Barbara Sample
11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Russ,
I just saw a post on world of engraving and this guy bought tiles from Home Depot and some were white and some were black,
he then spraypainted the white ones with black Krylon paint and did the same with the black ones, only sprayed them white,
He then lasers photographs on them. they really look nice, and he says that even without a sealer they hold up nicely.
Hope this helps you out. He says it works great and has some photos on the forum showing them.
Very nice,
Barb:)

Dave Jones
11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
The other posibility for you is to use the version of Thermark/Cermark designed specifically for tiles.

Gary Hair
11-28-2006, 2:55 PM
Russ,
I just saw a post on world of engraving and this guy bought tiles from Home Depot and some were white and some were black,
he then spraypainted the white ones with black Krylon paint and did the same with the black ones, only sprayed them white,
He then lasers photographs on them. they really look nice, and he says that even without a sealer they hold up nicely.
Hope this helps you out. He says it works great and has some photos on the forum showing them.
Very nice,
Barb:)

That was me, or maybe you saw the original post by George P of Laser Arts. I am very impressed with how the tiles turned out but I don't know how well the paint will stick long term, but they look pretty good now. The areas of the tile where I lasered off the paint are probably rough enough that paint would stick well. I think I'll try wetsanding the tile to break the glaze and see how that works.
I'll post again to let you know how it works.

Gary

James A. Wolfe
12-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Russ,
Not sure of your application but I have had pretty good results lasaering standard, off the shelf ,glazed tile and then using a wash of 50% India Ink solution. Seal with poly and they seem to hold up well. I'm doing an outdoor weathering test now so we'll see what they look like this spring.
Jim

Joe Pelonio
12-05-2006, 8:39 AM
I recently did a bunch of small "non-laserable" tiles for a commemorative planter box. I masked the outer inch all the way around, then sprayed with gold Krylon, reverse engraved off the background paint leaving the lettering, then ran a vector outline around the letters. The vectoring did penetrate the tile slightly, enough that if the paint should wear off the lettering will still be readable. This was agreed upon by my customer since I couldn't guarantee the paint's durability.