PDA

View Full Version : Shed $750+ tax +... Trailer *Free

Ned Bulken
11-27-2006, 8:03 PM
Guess which one wins?

I got word today, my driver found a hunter special which the land owner wants off of his property. Which, he's willing to let my driver have for free. Joe says I have to do a little clean-up, but it is available for free, as he just wants it off of the property.

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 8:06 PM
Umm....well....gee, that's a tough one! (Congrats...)

Bart Leetch
11-27-2006, 8:07 PM
Why don't you give us the whole picture & what your doing with it.:confused: :eek: :D

Ned Bulken
11-27-2006, 8:22 PM
Bart,
A couple of weeks ago, I was pondering finding an old travel trailer to refit as a temporary shop space in lieu of building a new shed/shop before winter came. I'm 'between' shops, and the LOML and I are planning on moving in the near future. So, just to have a place to make some sawdust, I'm going to get a 24' pretty 'rustic' camper. I'm going to move in my scrollsaw, drill press and perhaps a few other tools, and have a 'weatherproof' outdoor sawdust zone. Not my be-all end-all shop, just a stopgap until the moving truck gets backed up to the house and the storage unit and we move (estimated departure date is early summer). see this thread from a couple of weeks ago:http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45668

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 8:29 PM
Ned...a lathe will fit in there, too... ;)

Ned Bulken
11-27-2006, 8:41 PM
shhhhhhhh I realized that too, when Joe told me the size of it. one coup at a time.

Joe Mioux
11-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Ned:

Why is this thing free?

Bill Lewis
11-28-2006, 5:45 AM
Ned,
You may have to reinforce the floor with some extra underlayment, that lathe and drill press can be pretty heavy. You wouldn't want them to bust through. Travel trailers can also have pretty thin floors. Besides, I wouldn't be too surprised if you didn't find a few rotten spots.

Tom Pritchard
11-28-2006, 6:01 AM
Ned, having owned a travel trailer in the past, there are a couple things I thought of that you may want to consider.

1) The trailer will rock and sway when you move around in it unless you block the frame so that the axles are off the ground and the leaf springs are not supporting the trailer.
2) You will need to do something to improve the electric in the trailer. Most trailers use 14 gauge at best.
3) Low ceilings can be a problem. I'm 6' 2" and our 30' travel trailer had 6' 9" ceilings. It was tight.
4) As others have stated, you may need to reinforce the floor. Our floor flexed when we had 2 adults and 2 children moving around in it with no heavy equipment when it was new.

I don't want to be a dampener on your new shop idea, I just wanted to prepare you for some items that you may not have been aware of. Best of luck on your new endeavor!

Ned Bulken
11-28-2006, 7:49 AM
I used to live nearly full time for work out of a 5th wheel trailer. So I'm all geared up for jacking it up and supporting it with stands under the frame. I was also planning on checking the flooring. This being a 'well used' trailer, I'm expecting it to be a fixer-upper, including the wiring. I was planning on a nice hefty extension cord and only using the trailer wiring for lights and head at best, so, a scrollsaw, benchtop DP and maybe my little one lung DC running on their own circuit, separate from the trailer's power.

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 10:18 AM
He shoots and scores!

That is great Ned. I hope that it is in good enough condition you can take it with you when you move. Have fun setting up shop.

Ned Bulken
11-28-2006, 8:28 PM
He shoots and scores!

That is great Ned. I hope that it is in good enough condition you can take it with you when you move. Have fun setting up shop.

That might be just a bit of a Problem...

Turns out that while possession being 9/10ths of the law, that last tenth is going to be an issue. Since it was abandoned, I may not be able to get the title to it. SO, I'm back to square two. He's going to find out if the guy who wanted it removed can get the title from the former(?) owners. I can't register it until/unless we can get the title. ;(

*sigh* oh well. the LOML was making ugly noises about not wanting 'that ugly thing' in the driveway/yard anyway. SO.... time to drop back ten yards and Punt

Dan Mages
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
No gloat is official until pics are posted.

So until then... my congrats are on hold until then. ;)

Dan

Jerry Olexa
11-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Send him $1 and then its a valid sale methinks which should generate a title...

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Send him $1 and then its a valid sale methinks which should generate a title...

Unfortunately, with trailers, it's more involved...as I found out recently when I attempted to buy a utility trailer from a dude on Craig's List. He didn't have the title or certificate of origin. PA pretty much wouldn't touch it for registration. Fortunately, I figured things out before I drove and hour and gave anyone any money. 'Shame, too...it was a nice trailer for a decent price.