PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Purchase out First Laser

Dennis Solomon
11-27-2006, 2:32 PM
Wow, ya'll have a great thing going on here!

We are looking to get into the engraving business. My husband is a contractor that needs a job that is a bit less physically demanding and I run severeal websites that are making me crazy! So we decided that we should do this together!

We have done quite a bit of talking and reading... talking and reading. I came across this website while looking for info and the posts that I read were from 2004. I'm certain that technology has changed since then. We are currently "excited" about two machines and we are looking for some insite. We pretty much ruled out Universal.

Epilog Helix 24- 45 watt machine: We are going to look at this machine tomorrow. Have heard nothing but good about Epilog.

Pinnacle ZX Series 35x20- 40 watt: Wow, received a qutoe from SignWarehouse today. Quite attractive. My husband is talking to some of their customers right now. I'm sure that they only gave us info for happy customers but we'll take what we have.

Here are the issues that we see:
Epilog depth is 11" and Pinnacle's is 6.5". I'd really like to know if this is really something that we need to worry about.

Pinnacle has the pass through door- nice feature. We know that there are safety issues when using this feature. My husband loves woodworking and why shouldn't I have beautiful kitchen cabinets? Well maybe not just mine but we have to start somewhere.

Any info that you could provide would be great!
Thanks!
Nancy
Soon to be... Palmetto Engraving!

Joe Pelonio
11-27-2006, 2:49 PM
Here are the issues that we see:
Epilog depth is 11" and Pinnacle's is 6.5". I'd really like to know if this is really something that we need to worry about.

Pinnacle has the pass through door- nice feature. We know that there are safety issues when using this feature. My husband loves woodworking and why shouldn't I have beautiful kitchen cabinets? Well maybe not just mine but we have to start somewhere.

Any info that you could provide would be great!
Thanks!
Nancy
Soon to be... Palmetto Engraving!
I have only needed more than 4" depth on maybe 3-4 jobs in 2-1/2 years.
As for the pass-through, the safety issue is only if you put a hand in there while it's running. My Epilog actually can do that by taking out the sides, and can fit an object under about 6"x6" any length, but so far have never needed to do that.

If you will be getting into cutting of light materials, like doing paper lettering for scrapbooking, or card-stock stencils, the Helix built-in vacuum table is a great feature (wish I had it).

Dave Jones
11-27-2006, 4:06 PM
Actually the safety issue is more an issue with reflections getting out of the cabinet. While it might not burn you after scattering around, the beam can do serious damage to your eyes even after being greatly weakened by multiple reflections.

Dennis Solomon
11-27-2006, 4:13 PM
Well, maybe I over stated the safety issue- I just wanted ya'll to know that we were aware of it. Thanks for the insite on though- I feel a bit better now.
We've been back and forth a few times with Sign Warehouse today and the deal gets a little sweeter each time. Since we can't see this machine in action, it's the only thing giving us any reservations.
Our real concern at this point is the manufacturer. Who has the better machine? Which do we want to deal with- especially if there are issues after delivery?

Thanks!
Nancy

Tim Goldstein
11-27-2006, 5:37 PM
Just went through the laser decision process myself. Looked at the GCC units (What signwarehouse sells as Pinnicale), Epilog with a visit to the factory, and Universal. When I started the GCC was my leading contender. Ended up ordering a Universal even though it was at the bottom of my list when I started.

What I found is that there is ample negotiation room in the list price. What I also found was that the features I thought we most important when I started shopping changed as I learned more and asked more questions. To me a biggie is what does it cost to get a tube replaced when the warrantee ends. Only Universal was able to give me a straight answer on that one.

Frank Corker
11-27-2006, 6:12 PM
I have a Helix and I have to be honest, the vast majority of the time the depth has been my saving grace, I regularly engrave stuff that requires the bed to be down about 9" to 10" but I could imagine there are always ways I could have avoided it (i.e. removing the box lids off) but I have never needed to. I did see stuff that had been engraved by quite a few different types of engraver before I settled on mine - so far NO REGRETS.

Gary Shoemake
11-27-2006, 6:16 PM
The bottom line is support. I have had nothing but great supporrt from Signwarehouse. If you haven't talked to anyone in tech support give Kevin Huffman a call at 1-800-699-5512 ext 2751 or if he's not available ring again and ask the operator for Rob Glasco I'm not sure of his ext. and ask the pointed questions. Kevin is a member of the forum and has helped many with questions about laser techniques and their machines.

Lots of luck in your decisions. You can PM me if there is anything that I can do.

Keith Outten
11-27-2006, 7:02 PM
Nancy,

Don't discount Universal to quickly, they have a good machine and loyal users and there has to be good reason. I suggest that you take a look at Trotec and Xenetech as well, these machines have excellent reputations. There are some really nice discounts out there right now and the more expensive machines are more affordable than you would think. Xenetech just won a competitive bid against Epilog, Universal and Trotech where I work and I am grinning from ear to ear :)

Everyone here will tell you that the dealer is more important than any other issue. NEVER purchase a Laser Engraver from less than a top notch dealer and excellent manufacturers support. You may end up with the most expensive paper weight in your home state. You may not get what you pay for, but you will definately get what you don't pay for.....

Take your time, ask detailed questions here and heed the advice you receive.

Gary Hair
11-27-2006, 8:00 PM
I bought a Pinnacle ZX from signwarehouse. After a bit of a rocky start, partly my fault and partly my lack of experience with a laser, it has turned out to be a great machine.
If you want details on my experience you can pm me and we can discuss on the phone - too much to write here. Bottom line, it's a good machine and signwarehouse did a lot of work to help me get it setup and working properly.

Good luck in your purchase!

Russ Reaney
11-27-2006, 9:38 PM
You may want to consider leasing a machine, then after the end of your contract
Revisit what you need from an engraver, I have laserpro mercury 30 watt, and love it, but I would like more power, it has the ability to do pass thru work, also look at what software you will get. I use CorelDraw 11 and photograv, they make a great combination

Mike Hood
11-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Like Gary... I have a Pinnacle ZX (40W)

I use the pass through a lot (mainly the easy open front door) and I really like the large bed. I could slide a standard house door into this thing if I wanted and have done a fair amount of cutting on RC plane parts that used the entire bed.

I've been VERY satisfied with Sign Warehouse and this is my second purchase from them. In the end, they gave me the best deal on a large bed 40W machine.

Herman Jeroue
11-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Hi
I just got my first laser about 3 months ago, it's a UniversalLaser. I have been using it almost every day for 6 hours or more. I need to learn how to do different things with it.
Today I started engraving on ceramic tile with very pleasing results. I have also done wood and acrylic. Lots of fun.
Good luck with your purchase.
Herman Jeroue

Leigh Costello
11-27-2006, 11:57 PM
I have an Epilog Mini 24 45 watt laser. I have had nothing but great results. I can only recommend that you consider your target market and choose based on what you are wanting to do with your laser. We have been very fortunate finding jobs here for our laser. Allow yourself a couple of weeks of learning and playing with settings etc. Then before you know it, you are addicted to coffee, substrates and power settings. Enjoy your new laser career!
Leigh and Jim

Dennis Solomon
11-29-2006, 2:27 PM
I'd just like to thank all of you who took the time to give us your insite!

We spent all day yesterday on the road looking at two lasers. Just to clarify- 9am until 1:15am today. What a day!

Right now we are waiting on quotes- We'll see!

Nancy and Dennis