PDA

View Full Version : The Best of Fine Woodworking DVD

Michael Fross
11-27-2006, 2:15 PM
I just received information on The Best of Fine Woodworking DVD 2nd edition in the mail. Link is:

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/011023.asp

And was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 1st edition. I was just thinking about subscribing to finewoodworking.com to get access to all the content and it seems this might be a more convient alternative, although I assume it does not have that much video content which I enjoy.

Any thoughts?

Michael

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 2:43 PM
I have the first edition and it's been quite useful from time to time...it includes a lot of article and projects that I do not have in print.

Tom Henry
11-27-2006, 2:55 PM
That is a heavy price tag for that DVD...:eek:

Rob Bodenschatz
11-27-2006, 3:00 PM
That is a heavy price tag for that DVD...:eek:

You only cry once, my friend. :D

Tom Henry
11-27-2006, 3:06 PM
I was going to change that to... Beauty is only a light switch away...LOL

Rob Bodenschatz
11-27-2006, 3:19 PM
I like: "Beauty is only a six-pack away" better.

Jerry Olexa
11-27-2006, 3:30 PM
I have the first edition and its a good source as projects come up...

J. Scott Chambers
11-27-2006, 4:11 PM
I have the first edition and its a good source as projects come up...

Is it the same stuff that is included on their website as a paid subscription? Anyone know?

Scott Loven
11-27-2006, 4:23 PM
From the taunton web site.
Almost twice the content of our highly sought-after first edition!
Owners of previous CD, call 866-845-2653 or email customerservice@Taunton.com (customerservice@taunton.com) for an upgrade.
I sell Taunton books and dvds but was just informed by the publisher that this dvd will only be available from them :(
Scott

everett lowell
11-27-2006, 4:44 PM
If you buy it for me for x-mas, I'll check it out for ya !:rolleyes:

Robert Mayer
11-27-2006, 4:54 PM
If anyone buys it ill be glad to borrow it for 10 minutes...:)

Dave Falkenstein
11-27-2006, 5:29 PM
For $125 it should be good!!! But the shipping is free.

J. Scott Chambers
11-29-2006, 7:55 AM
And was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 1st edition. I was just thinking about subscribing to finewoodworking.com to get access to all the content and it seems this might be a more convient alternative,

Michael

No one chimed in to answer this. Does anyone that has the 1st addition DVD and a subscription to the website know if it is the same information? If it is, the DVD would be a much more convenient alternative to a web subscription. If no one knows, I guess I'll just go with the web subscription.

Jim Becker
11-29-2006, 8:32 AM
I received an email back from Taunton indicating that the "upgrade" price for those who already own the original CDROM is $75.

Jerry Olexa
11-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Scott: I do not know the details but, it seems to me the 1st CD was $150 while the online sub to subscribers is about $15. I would imagine the content is similiar. Better value is obvious IMHO. Just my opinion...

Jason Tuinstra
11-29-2006, 12:09 PM
No one chimed in to answer this. Does anyone that has the 1st addition DVD and a subscription to the website know if it is the same information? If it is, the DVD would be a much more convenient alternative to a web subscription. If no one knows, I guess I'll just go with the web subscription.

While I can't speak with any authority (never stopped me before;) ), I have to believe that they are essentially the same. The web subscription has given me everything that I have searched for from their archives. Plus you get access to videos and much more that are post DVD production. While the DVD would be more readily accessible, I'll stick with the web sub. I'm never too far from the web with wi-fi anyway. :p

Michael Fross
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
While I can't speak with any authority (never stopped me before;) ), I have to believe that they are essentially the same. The web subscription has given me everything that I have searched for from their archives. Plus you get access to videos and much more that are post DVD production. While the DVD would be more readily accessible, I'll stick with the web sub. I'm never too far from the web with wi-fi anyway. :p
Thanks Jason. That's exactly they way I've been leaning.

Michael

Michael Fross
11-29-2006, 3:19 PM
Thanks for all the reply guys. I've just joined the finewoodworking.com site and am really impressed. I just watched a video with Brian Boggs tuning up card scrapers and learned a ton just poking around.

I'm going to pass on the DVD and put the money toward those Lie-Nielsen mortising chisles I've been eyeing.

I appreciate the help. Thanks Creekers!

Michael

Jason Tuinstra
11-29-2006, 3:42 PM
I'm going to... put the money toward those Lie-Nielsen mortising chisles I've been eyeing.

Ohhhhh... good call on that one. I've been eying their bench chisels. Maybe I can use your same line of reasoning since I didn't buy the DVD either ;)

Michael Fross
11-29-2006, 3:56 PM
Ohhhhh... good call on that one. I've been eying their bench chisels. Maybe I can use your same line of reasoning since I didn't buy the DVD either ;)

It's funny how I can rationalize. I was in Las Vegas a few months ago for a conference. Took 300 dollars to gamble, and I assumed I would lose it all. But once I got there, I said, "Hey, if I don't gamble it's like free money." Didn't gamble, came home, and bought the Lie Nielsen bench chisels. I love them. They are very light, well balanced, and not too tall (my main compliant about chisels).

I think I get most of my tools via creative rationalism. Now, where should I not spend $3500 so I can get the sawstop....

Good luck :rolleyes:

Michael

Dan Clark
12-05-2006, 9:04 AM
Hi. I just received them and I'm getting a refund. Here's a post describing the problems:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=47114

Regards,

Dan.