PDA

View Full Version : NEMA Wallplates?

Frank Snyder
11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Okay...this may be a dumb question, but my local HD does not seem to have any wallplates which will fit a 220V NEMA outlet. Do they exist or do I need to make my own? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Frank :)

Rennie Heuer
11-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Get thyself to an electrical supplier. As convenient as HD is we must remember that the "H" stands for home and most homes don't have a lot of 220V outlets. Ran into the same issue myself.

Jim DeLaney
11-27-2006, 11:52 AM
They must exist, but I couldn't find one either. I ended up using a nylon (not the cheap plastic) blank plate and cutting the proper sized hole with a hole saw. 99¢ for the plate, and five minutes at the drill press. Works great...

Frank Snyder
11-27-2006, 1:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll check the local electrical supply houses. If no avail, I'll just make my own like Jim suggested.

Thanks again!

Frank

Rob Russell
11-27-2006, 4:49 PM
Are you sure? Our local HD has the larger size, single-hole, plates for the 240v locking plugs.

Jim O'Dell
11-27-2006, 4:58 PM
I bought a bunch of the single round hole plates for the 110 twist lock off the bay. Redrilled for the 220 twist locks, works fine. JIm.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-27-2006, 11:42 PM
You're right................The BORGS don't do a good job of having stuff for 220 volt, although you are seeing more equipment in that configuration. Get to an electrical wholesaler, electrical contractor, or Grainger's. One of them should be able to help you. All you need to know is the NEMA code and whether it is a "locking" type or straight blade. The sizes are a little different.

Bruce

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 9:07 AM
In my area, HD is better than Lowes in this category, but the local electrical supply has nearly "anything"...and is far closer. The only downside is the hours of operation. Business day only during the week and only Saturday morning. (Same for the local full service lumber yard) This is one thing that has helped the 'borg stores to capture so much of the DIY market...accessibility, despite deficiencies in product set.