PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-27-2006, 9:53 AM
Greetings!!!!

I hope that everyone had a great time over the Thanksgiving holiday. We have visited my parents, by last and only living grandmother, my in-laws, BIL, SIL, and friends. It's back home to Arkansas today as my weekend travels aren't over yet.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Dickey. Picture of proof is in the OT forum.

We all ate too much over Thanksgiving but had a great time.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!!!!!

JayStPeter
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Aside from traveling around and visiting my family and the in-laws, I spent a little time in the basement. I finished the subpanel installation I started last weekend. Now my entire shop is moved to a dedicated subpanel. That freed up some space for circuits for the other half of the basement. I wired the sewage sump circuit and reworked the lighting circuits to make more sense. Then got a stomach virus and will spare you the details of last night. :eek: :rolleyes: :cool:

Al Willits
11-27-2006, 10:36 AM
More learning curve for the newbie here.

Saturday I mounted the last of the old kitchen cabinets on the garage wall, and made a nice rack to hold the 2 12"x12" granite tiles (I got from Beasties quest for conter tops) on the side of the last cabinet I installed.
All was going great till I tried to cut a 3/4" piece of plywood down and must have put pressure on the wrong side of the board.....
Kick back number two, it bounced off of me and I still haven't found it.

Two kickbacks in the same year should tell me something, and that's I need a sled.
Also tells me I need to be more careful on how I feed wood.

So Sunday was make a sled day, and I discovered making them darn runners tight enough to be accurate and still loose enough to slide is a
touchy, I used Brazillian Cherry and after two sets of them I'm pretty close, maybe a 1/16" play for the first 1/4 travel of the sled, then snug but smooth after that.
Not to sure how tight these things should be..?

Still not happy, so off to woodcraft I go to look at adjustable metal runners. btw thanks Mr. Parr for the info..:)

So, was an interesting weekend, hope to less exciting ones in the future though...:)

Al

Laurie Brown
11-27-2006, 10:42 AM
This weekend I got started on the 6 raised panel doors to complete my second cabinet project. Having a nice new saw does wonders for speed and accuracy, not to mention safety, in making these things!

I got all the stile and rail parts cut to length and width, and the stile profiles all routed in about 4 hours yesterday. Today I will be routing the rail profiles and cutting the door panels.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanksgiving day...turned some bottle stoppers....cleaned the gutters on the house. Went to oldest son's for dinner with the local family.

Friday...cleaned the newly installed gutters on the shop that I forgot the day before.....water and leave filled gutters just above freezing....cold on the hands! Reassembled the Diving Board. Worked on a CT scanner at local medical center.

Saturday.....No turning...bought some finishing supplies...worked on a CT scanner....

Sunday.....turned a 6" peppergrinder and matching salt shaker from canarywood. Tracked a 400# part shipping from Chicago. It made it here late last night.

Eric Shields
11-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Happy Holidays Everyone,

I was able to complete and install my first commission (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46587) piece just prior to leaving for the family festivities.

Then I loaded up the family and headed to Roanoke, VA for the family celebration at my BIL's house, complete with my parents and the rest of the inlaws. Needless to say the food and family were a great success.

The only shop time I was able to sneak in was a little post installation organization and clean up after our arrival home on Friday. Then it was back to the day job on Saturday. Hints of further projects from my FIL and SIL were thrown about during the family gathering, so there may be a few more projects before getting back to the basement transformation. I hope they don't want them in time for Christmas:confused:

Matt Meiser
11-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Lots of family time as my brothers that live in Minneapolis and Columbus were here with their wives. Spent some time in the shop on Saturday doing some welding--rebuilt the cart that came with my welder more to my liking.

Tyler Howell
11-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Lot's of family and friends.
I brined and burned the bird this year. Turned out great:D . No left overs:( . They cleaned me out!!!
Talked ship to shore to my buds that are sailing around the world. What a treat.

Took the small boat up north an put her to bed for the season. Moved some more equipment into the shop and started laying out the toyl placement (first things first).
Then started layout of the new bath room.
Met some of the neighbors, and Just hung out.
Great weekend.
Play safe.

Art Mulder
11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Bought a treadmill at a 50% off sale. I know it's too early for New Year's resolutions, but.... I hereby resolve to NEVER take the entire family (four kids, two tired aldults) into a store or mall on a Friday evening for the rest of the crazy christmas season. Argh! It's not even December yet, but what a zoo.

Enjoyed the gorgeous weather up here in Ontario and put up the Christmas lights. Also helped our (single-mom) neighbour hang a bathroom mirror.

But for fun... I spent a whole bunch of hours in the shop and built a pair of marble drop toys (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46651) for my niece/nephew.

Happy Week!

Keith Outten
11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
My 83 year old Father stayed with us through the holiday weekend and we finished the Tractor Carryall we started a couple of weeks ago. We have been building implements for my little Kubota for a couple of months now, my Dad loves to weld so I have been concentrating on projects that he can enjoy as he is unable to do any woodworking anymore.

The picture on the right is the Carryall we just finished with the trash forks that were our first project on the bucket of the Front end loader. The Carryall doubles as a drag, note the 1/2" thick steel flat bar we welded on th bottom of the frame.

The picture on the left is of my Dad with the Carryall in the background before we installed the decking and the Spike Harrow we built about a month ago in the foreground.

We sure have had a great time building these tools and we still have a couple more in the works, it is quality time for us and time, if lost, we can never get back.

Karl Laustrup
11-27-2006, 1:05 PM
Hey Dennis.

Well, it was mostly family and eating, eating and family, but I did talk Spring into making a trip up Saturday to give me a hand. With his help the jointer/planer head is now out of the X-31 and Byrd has the bearing size info. I will hopefully have a new Shelix head in the near future. Of course then it's really gonna be fun putting the X-31 back together. Me thinks Spring will be asked to make another run to help. THANKS SPRING for the help and as always it's good to talk.

Spent Sunday moving a cabinet in the kitchen. Of course that turned into a much bigger project than what it should have been. I've got to move an electrical outlet now before the cabinet move will be complete. Sheeesh! If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Have a good week y'all.

Karl

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 1:57 PM
My 9 day :D weekend was somewhat productive...

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I demolished the wood deck (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46523) behind the house in preparation for our home addition project...sweat equity to save money, if you will. It was fun!
Cooked a pumpkin pie and made the garlic mashed potatos for the holiday meal on Thursday. Dr SWMBO handled the turkey and stuffing as well as the cherry pie
Took the girls into Philadelphia on the train on Friday for some tours of the Betsy Ross house, Franklin Square and the general Independence Mall area and then had dinner in Chinatown
Did the usual Saturday running around for dance class, karate class, etc., as well as finished cleaning up the last few bits of the ex-deck. I would have liked to do more earth moving to preserve top soil, etc., but the ground was too wet from the rain we had on the holiday.
Did more work on the cherry vanity project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45792&highlight=vanity) on Sunday

Matt Meiser
11-27-2006, 3:18 PM
Took the girls into Philadelphia on the train on Friday ... Independence Mall

You went to the mall on the day after Thanksgiving? :eek: :D ;)

Karl Laustrup
11-27-2006, 3:22 PM

As memory serves me Matt, it's a different kind of mall.

Karl

Matt Meiser
11-27-2006, 3:38 PM
I know, hence the ;) I just couln't resist. :D

Rod Torgeson
11-27-2006, 3:48 PM
A couple of weeks ago I posted to this thread when my friend and I were in the process of building a model of a old house. Actually finished it and took some pictures a week ago this past weekend. Attached are a couple of pictures. As stated in the previous thread(two weeks ago), this use to be a "speak easy" during prohibition. It was then sold and the people that bought it were very poor. They did some adding on to it. This was given to the daughter of the people who bought it. She is 80 years old and her husband is 90. It was given during a birthday party for the two of them since their birthdays are a week apart.

This past weekend I enjoyed the snow and made some pens for the freedom pen project.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Larry Fox
11-27-2006, 3:55 PM
My 9-day extended weekend involved work on kitchen almost non-stop.

- Finished up the last major run of finishing.
- Assembled all but 2 of the remaining cabinets (face frames and end panels)
- Installed about 1/2 the drawer slides. I really dreaded this part as I don't care much for installing these things. The Kreg jig helps but it only alleviates so much of the agrivation.
- Ripped out the existing kitchen down to the studs
- Worked out the lighting plan and bought the lights. Ouch!!!
- Ordered the crown molding. Ouch!!!
- Rebuilt a soffit that holds some plumbing and electical.
- Ran in three new circuits.
- Ordered the countertops. Ouch!!! Spoke to the guy doing the template this morning and he estimates 2-weeks between when he builds the template to do the install. He needs all the base cabinets set in order to do the template. SWMBO wants the job done by XMAS, kithen is down to studs - pressure on.

Ugh!

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 5:31 PM

You laugh...guess where Septa's Market East Station dumps you...the Gallery Mall. It was a mob-house. Despite that, the girls insisted we eat at Mickey D's in the food court before continuing on...which was more painful than normal!!

Last year on the day after Thanksgiving, we were visiting the US Embassy in Moscow to obtain the girls' visas to enter the US as new citizens as soon as the plane touched down in PHL. This year, we spent the day where a good part of all this started...

Art Mulder
11-27-2006, 6:34 PM
Woah, dig that nail polish. awe man, I dread what I'm going to face in (...counts on fingers...) 7-10 years when my almost-6 year old hits those teen years. I hope it's just black nail polish.

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 7:51 PM
Art....one hand is green and the other is purple. Don't worry. It comes off! And much better than black which is sometimes all the rage.