PDA

View Full Version : First peppermill - sycamore

Joe Fisher
11-27-2006, 9:51 AM
I recently bought some of Craft Supplies' Crush grind kits, (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=442-0100) and decided to try a mill this weekend.

Wood is sycamore, since that's what I seem to have on hand lately ;) The kit is very easy to use, but you need 4 sizes of Forstner or sawtooth bits - 1 3/4, 1 9/16, 1 1/16, and 15/16. I decided to go with the HSS sawtooth bits from Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42245&cat=1,180,42240). While a bit more expensive than regular carbon steel, or those titanium coated HF bits, these will last me a lifetime. And BOY do they cut! These things chewed through end grain with no effort at all, and didn't get hot like regular Forstner bits. I highly recommend them if you don't mind spending a little extra up front. The only possible negative is the 1/2" hex shank on the bigger ones (1" and up, I believe). They don't fit in a standard bit extender.

Which is why this mill is so short :) In addition, I misread the directions that said, "Cut the bar off 1 1/8" above the body." I cut it off 1/8" above :eek: I just made a jam chuck for the body and turned 1" off. I then made a jam chuck for the top and turned it down to match. The picture was taken before the surgery. It still looks nice, but isn't as balanced in form as it was originally.

Oh, and if you're wondering what that little hole is on the top, I'll just recommend you be careful when shaping the top, since there's a 15/16" hole drilled in from the bottom of it :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/nostalgia75/Turning/pepper.jpg

-Joe

Jon Shively
11-27-2006, 9:54 AM
That looks great. Later this winter I plan on turning a pepper mill and matching salt shaker but don't have the wood dried yet.

Glenn Hodges
11-27-2006, 9:57 AM
I am sure we all appreciate all the valuable info Joe, and the nice picture of the peppermill.

John Hart
11-27-2006, 9:57 AM
Nicely Done Joe. I sure hope my first one comes out half that good. I got started a while back and then had to abort all turning missions til I got moved. Gonna get back to it. Thanks for the lessons learned! :)

Joe Fisher
11-27-2006, 10:06 AM
but don't have the wood dried yet.
I decided to omit that step :)

I finish turned it, then left it in my kitchen for two days before gluing in the mechanism. It went a little oval, but things still fit.

I don't think I'd chance that with something that wasn't a practice piece, tho. It'd be too tough to get the drill bit back down the hole if it went too oval for the mechanism to fit.

-Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Joe........Nice first peppergrinder. They are somewhat technical and a guy has to do some advance thinking! I've learned the hardway.
I just turned one from canary wood yesterday.....a 6"er............I bought the wood. I hope it was dry and doesn't warp! It's destined to be a Christmas gift for either the MIL or my Mom....depending on what SWMBO decides.

John Timberlake
11-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Really nice. I love the way sycamore looks, but have never turned any.