PDA

View Full Version : any of you miss bein young?

Andrew Melamed
11-27-2006, 5:45 AM
Me being young stayed up all night and get to go to school! dont you guys miss these days?

Martin Shupe
11-27-2006, 8:51 AM
Enjoy it while you can, you will get old soon enough.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2006, 8:56 AM
Enjoy it while you can, you will get old soon enough.:eek:

Yup! One day you'll turn around look in the mirror and wonder...."What happened?"

Chris Damm
11-27-2006, 9:17 AM
That's a dumb question, of course I miss it.

Jim O'Dell
11-27-2006, 9:29 AM
Nope! Not one bit. I do miss my body being younger, though. :rolleyes: Jim.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-27-2006, 9:42 AM
Nope! Not one bit. I do miss my body being younger, though. :rolleyes: Jim.

Indeed. I'll skip the details.

Ted Miller
11-27-2006, 9:42 AM
I was working in my shop last night, maybe 6 hours total, sat down and was just looking around seeing things I needed to do to upgrade or just move things around, sat there for 25 minutes or so and I almost feel asleep, then when I stood up, my back was aching from sitting, getting old is hell, and the worst part I am only 42...

Al Willits
11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
At 59, them marathon bouts in the garage are getting almost to painful the next day to do anymore, the arthritis acts up when I'm standing a lot and 8 hours in the garage means the next day will be a battle just to get out of bed in the morning.
Shop time now is done in spurts, and I do every thing I can sitting down now.
I used to drive by houses, and see the old guy sitting in the garage with the big door open, and he'd be just sitting there watching the world go by, I now think I know why at least some were doing that.

So, do I miss being young?
Painfully so.

So much to do, so little time left....

Al

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I am young...in all the ways that count.

Bill Grumbine
11-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Someone once wrote, and I paraphrase here, that it is too bad that youth is wasted on the young.

I was at my 30th high school class reunion this past Saturday night. A lot of people were fat and bald. Some have died. Most of the ladies had parts which had moved further south since the last time we were together, although hair color had remarkably stayed the same, or even improved! ;) We had a lot of fun talking about the days of our youth, but I would not ever want to go back.

I could answer your question in more depth, but that would require my violating the terms of service regarding religious beliefs. :cool: If you get real curious about that, you can PM me.

Bill

Dave Anderson NH
11-27-2006, 10:53 AM
I don't really want to go back to my youth or even my earlier adult years. Frankly, it's a wonder I survived them with some of my less than responsible or careful behavior. On the other hand I wouldn't mind a few less pounds, fewer aches and pains, and a little more hair on top.

I'm a firm believer in the adage that you must grow older, but there's no need to grow up.

Mark Singer
11-27-2006, 11:00 AM
Oy veh!...........

Tom Henry
11-27-2006, 11:02 AM
I tell everyone that I have the mind of a 20 y/o and the body of a 42 y/o and that stinks considering I am only 33...:D

Rennie Heuer
11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
I don't really want to go back to my youth or even my earlier adult years. Frankly, it's a wonder I survived them with some of my less than responsible or careful behavior.

Dave,

I'm with you. In fact, you can keep the entire decade from 71 to 80! I enjoy who I am now. I enjoy being married and having all the kids out on their own. I enjoy continuing to learn and I love having enough income to support my hobby, well....most of it anyway. Most of the cares of youth were overblown and really had no long term importance (how insignificant it seems now who I took to a school dance or whether I got to go to a particular concert or hung out on any given Saturday night!) How much time and effort I wasted on the trivial!:eek:

Youth is not all it's cracked up to be (I forget who said that). I'm quite happy being in my mid 50's and I'm looking forward to having many very productive and happy years ahead. There is great reward in growing old and having a perspective that spans a lifetime. When I was young I could only base my decisions on 10 or 12 years of experience. Now I have nearly a half a century of experience to guide me.

I like my age and where I am. No thanks, I've no desire to go back.

Joe Pelonio
11-27-2006, 11:12 AM
What I miss the most is being able to read, and do detailed work especially in low light without having to put on reading glasses. Darned things are always getting dirty, have to clean them many times a day, and I'm lost without them. When I stay up all night these days it's to get a big job done, no fun at all. Enjoy it while you can, the time goes by way too fast.

Jim King
11-27-2006, 11:15 AM
It has been so long I dont remember enough to give an intelligent answer.

Andy Hoyt
11-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Every time I have a birthday I say to myself, "Hey! I've never been this old before and thusly have no prior experience with respect to acting my age." This makes me feel younger all over again - well, for a day or two anyway. :D

Michael Cody
11-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Miss being young .. just the body & recovery time. In my job I work a lot of 24-36(or longer) shifts installing equipment and migrating systems. Racking a whole system with multiple disk arrays, multiple servers, AS400's etc... for 8-10 hours then migrating everything is a real PIA task more so than when I was younger. I used to be able to recover in a day or so, now it takes 2-3 before I feel good. Not to mention the back & legs being stiff.

Remember a line from several songs -- "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" ... there is pain in going from young to old, I don't miss that at all and am pretty sure I wouldn't want to repeat most of it.

Also remember as Solomon learned, there is a single 4 word phrase that will get you through any trouble -- "this too shall pass" ... good times never last, bad times get over.. or as I paraphrase -- "it might not get better but it always gets over". That pretty much covers it all.

Like I said in the previous thread you started.. Don't be in a hurry to grow up .. those lessons are painful. Enjoy the moment you are in because it too shall pass.

Jerry Olexa
11-27-2006, 3:20 PM
I only look older. As WC Fields said: "80% of my money, I spent on women and Drinking. The other 20%, I wasted"..:) :D

Frank Chaffee
11-27-2006, 6:01 PM
any of you miss being young?
That’s it!!!
Thanks Andrew,
I knew I was missing something, but just couldn’t quite remember what it was.

Frank

Robert Mickley
11-27-2006, 9:59 PM
I used to drive by houses, and see the old guy sitting in the garage with the big door open, and he'd be just sitting there watching the world go by, I now think I know why at least some were doing that

Al

The sad part is if I sit in my shop door the only thing I can see is the pasture and cows. Not that, thats a bad thing. I miss the quick recovery from injuries and the stamina of youth.

On a brighter note in a few more years I can join the AARP :rolleyes:

Jack Dickey
11-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Well as a teenager of the 60's/70's , all I can say is , I am very lucky to have made it past my youth .. I shudder at the thought of the crazy things that we got into and happened to us ..
I feel blessed and somewhat guilty to have made it this far , so many of my close friends have passed away in the intervening years ..
There was a country song out not long ago that I connected with , I dont recall who sang it or the title , but there was a line that more or less said " I wonder who you'd be now " .. It was about a friend who had died , and it really hit me ..
Do I miss my youth ?? No not really , there isn't , for the most part , a great deal of wisdom asssociated with youth .. I definetly wouldnt want to be one now ..
My mother's biggest nightmare was I wore bluejeans and tshirts and had hair over my ears .. Course on Saturday night if we could scrounge up 5 or 6 bucks we had 20 gallons of gas to go cruisin or dirt road riding ..

John Hart
11-27-2006, 10:34 PM
When I was young...I appreciated nothing. And the older I get, the more I realize how little I know. ;)

Keel McDonald
11-28-2006, 7:04 AM
My grandpa used to say, "Son, there's no disgrace in growing old, but it sure is unhandy!" How true, how true!

Jack Dickey
11-28-2006, 9:02 AM
Well I think it was Doris Day who said this one , and it's true ..

The only problem with being middle aged is the knowledge that you'll outgrow it ..

John Kain
11-28-2006, 9:08 AM
I couldn't afford this hobby when I was young.

;)

Keel McDonald
11-28-2006, 9:19 AM
I can't afford it now!

I couldn't afford this hobby when I was young.

;)

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 10:04 AM
You could not PAY me to go back to high school.

College was too expensive. (Mainly because I was drunk and stupid for a couple of years!)

I'm finally settled down and happy!

My gradnfather had a very productive retirement. Dug a 20X30 footer by hand and built the concrete forms and they were only a 1/4" out of level when checked with the transit.

So I agree with a lot of the earlier post could use the faster healing and a few less aches but don't miss all the stupid stuff.

"You know your getting old when it feels like the morning after and there wasn't a night before." Can't remember who said it.