PDA

View Full Version : Tag sale plane (Gloat or mistake?)

Ben Grunow
11-26-2006, 9:16 PM
Hit a tag sale (yard sale) today and bought a Record 050 plane with complete folding pack of irons and a Starrett layout tool kit (sliding square, bevel square and 45 degree thingy, the standard set but old and never used) and set of feeler gauges for $30.

I made out well on the Starrett stuff but what is that plane really worth? I put a beautiful bead on a piece of spruce 5/4 x 4 that I jointed first. Cuts like crazy and even has a little blade to score ahead of the iron. Kewl.

Any ideas on plane value? TIA

Ben

Tony Sade
11-26-2006, 10:10 PM
That (IIRC) is not supposed to be mentioned here. I routinely see these go for between $50-100, depending on condition and type. If it's complete (with the chip deflector and fine adjuster-the latter of which it may not have if it's one of the older models), you've got yourself a real nice tool.

Either way, you have a nice score @$30 for the lot.

Check on Patrick Leach's B&G for more info on the Stanley version of this plane:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0.htm

Cheers,

James Mittlefehldt
11-27-2006, 8:56 AM
How come I never see stuff like that when my wife persuades me to go to Garage sales with her. I mean heck the ruler in the Starret set would cost more than thirty dollars to replace new, and you say it is old and never used. Is it in the original box or a wooden case?

As to the plane if it works it is defintly worth thirty dollars so I would say this is a very big gloat on your part well done.

Ben Grunow
11-27-2006, 9:12 PM
No case for the Starrett items but nice and clean.

The plane has a black, plasticy looking handle and is chrome or nickel in color, no black parts at all. THere are 3 pieces that mount on the 2 cross bars, two clamp together and hold the blade (any one of 18 in the case, beading, tongue and various width flats) and there is a fine adjust screw that engages a notchin the side of the blade for advancing the blade as successive passes are made. Knurled thumbscrews hold the outrigger piece on the other end of the rods. I used it to put a bead on some scrap wood and it cut nicely. Worth $50? Sounds good to me.

BTW, the tag sale also had a delta BS and 2 older lathes and a shopsmith (? is that what its called?) but they were sold when I got there.

Thanks for the info. Ben

Alice Frampton
11-28-2006, 4:40 AM
Sounds like a 050C, Ben. Introduced around 1972 and discountinued in the early '80s. No idea of value I'm afraid, and opinion on it seems divided - some like it, some don't. Sounds like you do, so methinks a gloat.

Cheers, Alf

Ben Grunow
11-28-2006, 9:34 PM
Thanks for the info and I'll consider it a gloat!