View Full Version : Jet Set "Putty"

Ernie Kuhn
11-26-2006, 7:40 PM
I understand that Jeweler's use some kind of "putty" that is water soluable, hardens like a rock, to hold small pieces they are working on. The advantage is that no marks are left on the pieces from mechanical vises, etc. Want to use it to hold small pieces on the lathe, something the drive spur center can go into but not leave any marks. Can not find any info on the putty. I believe the name is Jet Set. Is anyone here familiar with it?
Thanks in advance,
Ernie

Mark Pruitt
11-27-2006, 8:48 AM
Ernie,
Apparently no one here is using the stuff, myself included. I did google it though and came up with this. (http://www.jetsetcement.com/instructions.php) That might get you closer to knowing what you need.

Ernie Kuhn
11-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Mark,
Thank you. Took a look at that website, right idea but not exactly the application I was looking for. I had heard that some wood turners use the jeweler's "putty" on the rough end of small burls, to hold the drive spur, without putting marks in the burl. If I find what I think I heard about, will post a follow-on message.
Again, appreciate your response.
Ernie

Jim DeLaney
11-27-2006, 8:06 PM
Lapidary hobbiests use a glue like what you're describing. I think they use it to hold stones on a 'dop stick' while they grind them. Maybe try a local or online lapidary supply shop? I found this via Google: http://www.cyberrockhound.com/lapidary_supplies.htm#wax

Ernie Kuhn
11-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Jim,
Thank you. I had not thought about lapidary supplies. The hunt is on!!!!
Thank you again.
Ernie

Stephen Hibbs
11-27-2006, 11:17 PM
If you can't find that putty, you could always glue a small piece of wood to the end of the burl. Then cut it off later.

Gary Herrmann
11-28-2006, 8:42 PM
Sounds like plumber's putty to me. Check the borg. Mine is a gray tube that kinda looks like playdoh with a white center (think pith). Tear off a hunk, apply it to a leaking pipe and it sets like concrete.

Ernie Kuhn
11-29-2006, 5:39 PM
Had the wrong spelling when I "searched".:D
Thanks to all of you that replied. Thought I would include a description of what it is, now that I finally found it. ONe of our club members uses it to "hold" the spiked outside of natural burl box tops. He molds this stuff over the top of the "spikes" and while still soft, puts the drive center into it. Doesn't damage the wood this way. When he's done, he "pops" it off the wood, remelts it and uses it again. Anyhow, a search for Jett Sett will turn up several suppliers, quantities and prices.

Jett Sett Basic™
Fixturing Compound

A reusable ceramic/thermoplastic compound heated in hot water and formed into almost any shape you need. Use it to hold your work while engraving or stonesetting. Or you can make custom handles for your tools. Use Jett Sett™ to protect your parts while sandblasting. Make custom dies for forming soft metals. You'll discover myriad uses for Jett Sett™. And when you've finished using it on a project, just re-heat it and use it again.

Again, thank you all,
Ernie