PDA

View Full Version : How to make wood chips..

will sanders
11-26-2006, 6:34 PM
and keep them. This is a little strange but I have a bunch of smaller pecan logs that I want to make into chips for my smoker. Any ideas?

Scott Neblung
11-26-2006, 6:41 PM
How big are the "logs" ?

Ive got a troybuilt Tomahawk series chipper shredder that will make nice smoking chips for arond a 4-5" limb/log.

If you can cut them down or in half that might work for you to rent a Chipper Shredder.

Scott

John Miliunas
11-26-2006, 6:42 PM
Will, know anyone with one of those smallish wood chippers? Most will take up to about 1 or 1-1/2" diameter branches. In the case of larger stuff, you'll need to rip them down to size. Alternately, do you have a bandsaw or have access to one? That's about the safest way to make small chunks out of big ones. As for storage, I love those "Rubbermaid" rectangular containers. Keeps the critters out and they're stackable. :) :cool:

John Miliunas
11-26-2006, 6:44 PM
How big are the "logs" ?

Ive got a troybuilt Tomahawk series chipper shredder that will make nice smoking chips for arond a 4-5" limb/log.

If you can cut them down or in half that might work for you to rent a Chipper Shredder.

Scott

Ahhhh....Scott, you've got yourself a "Big Boy" chopper!!! :D My little MTD would choke on something that big! :o :cool:

will sanders
11-26-2006, 6:47 PM
I really never thought about renting a wood chipper! (DOH!) Some of the logs are a nice size but I could easily split them.
Thanks!

Paul Libby
11-26-2006, 9:25 PM
You could also cut 2" to 3" thick wafers with a chain saw (from the logs) let it air dry then break up the wafers into smoking chips. If they dry fast enough you should get enough natural splitting to get you started.