PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions

Owen Gregg
11-26-2006, 6:22 PM
I'm excited because I just ordered my Craftsman Professional Tablesaw. It's the hybrid saw with the 1 3/4 hp motor, and with the C-club discount, I got it for $799. It should arrive in 2 weeks or so. My question is what will I need to get it all set up? I have the shop space all ready to go, I just need to know what tools I will need to set it up that aren't provided with the saw.

My second question is what do I need to begin hand cutting dovetails? Since I've never done it, I'm gonna need lots of practice with the right tools. Thanks in advance.

Owen

Gary Keedwell
11-26-2006, 6:55 PM
Owen,

Congratulations,

For your new saw I would get some good blades, push sticks, featherboards etc.
As for dovetails ....a nice hand saw would do. Alot of woodworkers are into the Japanese style, which cuts on the pull. I think everybody should be able cut a dovetail joint by handsaw. It is a great feeling of accomplishment.
Gary K.

Scott Donley
11-26-2006, 7:23 PM
congrat's on the new saw.:cool: As I remember all you will need are a drill (for the mdf extension ) a socket set or open end wrenches, both would be nice, and a screw driver. All the allen wrenches are included. A helper for the cast iron extensions would really help also, I did it by myself and would not want to do it again. Also, I used wd40 to clean the top and other parts, worked well. Enjoy your new saw, mine has been a pleasure to use, and has done everything I have asked of it.

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 7:52 PM
Owen, congratulations on your saw order.

On your question about hand-cutting dovetails, I suggest you post a thread in the Neander Forum here at SMC as that is the domain that covers such things. You'll get a lot of fine advise there.

Dan Drager
11-26-2006, 8:16 PM
Most important two things you'll need for the hand cut dovetails are:

1. Patience.
2. Practice.