PDA

View Full Version : Circular HandSaw

Jack Dickey
11-26-2006, 5:33 PM
We're always looking for new tools and jigs , and such .. Here's one I just finished ..
Maybe shud be in the Neander section , but may get a better audience here .. It's not gonna be patented , so feel free to make your own ..

Frank Hagan
11-26-2006, 5:48 PM
I have one of those and its hard to use. You have to run around pretty quickly. But I found that if you get it balanced just right, and make sure the blade is absolutely parallel to the handle, it will cut fine. Woodcraft sells a balancing kit with a parallel check built in, but its a bit pricey at $312.

:)

will sanders
11-26-2006, 6:16 PM
I think these guys have you beat..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NipvtsqNd88

Allen Bookout
11-26-2006, 6:17 PM
That would make a great present for your favorite woodworking friend.

I have a circular saw that looks normal but cuts like the one in your picture. Am shopping around now. About decided on the PC 325MAG. Sorry Jack, I would buy yours but I do not see any discount codes.

chris fox
11-26-2006, 6:23 PM
I wonder how fast that V8 would go through a leg! Looks really dangerous with guys falling and all to get it through the trunk...but pretty impressive though.

everett lowell
11-26-2006, 8:02 PM
That's great! LOL...I gotta make something like that for my buddie who is just getting started in woodworking.

Jack Dickey
11-26-2006, 9:56 PM
This is actually the second one I have done .. I gave the other one to a fellow woodwerker as a gift ..
I would leave it hanging in plain view in the shop , and if I went somewhere to werk I always carried it with my tools .. Always left out in the open , many blank stares , and looking out the corner of the eyes ..
A few even got the gall to ask about it ..

Randal Stevenson
11-26-2006, 11:20 PM
An old Babbit saw.:D

David Rose
11-27-2006, 3:48 AM
The real question is... do you have any trouble with kickbacks on a plunge cut? :eek:

David, who lusts over some tools here

Mike Parzych
11-27-2006, 9:32 AM
That thing would rate right up there with the battery operated tape measures I've seen around lately. Oh yeah...I GOTTA get one of those.

I'm working on a table saw that will take into consideration the Curvature of the Earth - which I have determined is the reason for all my miscuts. If I tweak production costs a bit more I believe I can get it under 5K. I'll keep you posted.

Laurie Brown
11-27-2006, 9:42 AM
I wonder how fast that V8 would go through a leg! Looks really dangerous with guys falling and all to get it through the trunk...but pretty impressive though.

All they need to do is mount that puppy on the front end of a fork lift, and voila!

Bill White
11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
How do you install the brushes?
Bill

Doug Shepard
11-27-2006, 1:23 PM
Can I get that in a teflon coated thin-kerf version? Been looking for something to flesh out my Christmas list, and Voila - SMC comes to the rescue.

glenn bradley
11-27-2006, 2:13 PM
I love a good sense of humor. Keep it up, you make the world a better place. Hahahaha.

David Rose
11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
OK, so I do have a couple of more questions... :eek:

1. If I build one of those, which I think I can, which cyclone do I need to use to collect all the dust?

2. Do I have to use a blade with nasty looking teeth like yours? I don't have one of those blades.

3. I said two, but... How did you attach the blade to the handle?

4. (Since I'm on a roll here) What finish did you use on the handle? I don't know if you were wanting critique, but... it doesn't look very good. :eek:

5. If I find this difficult to build, will you send me plans? Will you charge me for them or are they FREE?

David, who thinks this could become a very serious neander tool... If not, maybe a weapon for home defense?

John Schreiber
11-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I'd like one of those myself, but only if it came in a left tilt model.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if it came in yellow (green, grey, whatever) to match my other tools.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if it will retract when it touches skin.

I'd like one of those myself, but I have serious philosophical issues with how it is marketed.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if is guaranteed to be ad free.

Mark Singer
11-28-2006, 1:01 AM
That Is where the SawStop idea came from!:eek:

David Rose
11-28-2006, 1:02 AM
I'll bet it will retract when it touches skin! :D

David

I'd like one of those myself, but only if it came in a left tilt model.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if it came in yellow (green, grey, whatever) to match my other tools.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if it will retract when it touches skin.

I'd like one of those myself, but I have serious philosophical issues with how it is marketed.

I'd like one of those myself, but only if is guaranteed to be ad free.

Jack Dickey
11-28-2006, 5:52 AM
Well David you can build one however yur little heart desires , the handle and nastee blade , well I was in a hurry to get a pic up ..
But my 458 Lott needs the feed rails massaged and I dont have the touch ( I was a schmidt on the BIG stuff in the Navy ) , so you massage up the feed rails and pin it for me and I'll build ya one ..
I'll even thro' a chain saw in the deal ..

Art Mulder
11-28-2006, 7:33 AM
We're always looking for new tools and jigs , and such .. Here's one I just finished ..
Maybe shud be in the Neander section , but may get a better audience here .. It's not gonna be patented , so feel free to make your own ..

Wayyy-ulll, Jack, I dunno about that there thing. Looks like one of them fareigner saws, what with the cut being on the pull stroke and all that.

skip coyne
11-28-2006, 8:52 AM
does the Festool version work better than the EZ ? ;)

David Rose
11-28-2006, 3:28 PM
Jack,

458 is a LOTTA Lott! :eek: Is this a "deck gun"? :D Just don't make me shoot it unless you've got a good brake and pad on that sucker. :D

If I only needed a chainsaw... What else you got to trade? I mean, not that that custom circular saw is not valuable... :o I don't wanna start a war here. :rolleyes:

David

Well David you can build one however yur little heart desires , the handle and nastee blade , well I was in a hurry to get a pic up ..
But my 458 Lott needs the feed rails massaged and I dont have the touch ( I was a schmidt on the BIG stuff in the Navy ) , so you massage up the feed rails and pin it for me and I'll build ya one ..
I'll even thro' a chain saw in the deal ..

Jason White
11-28-2006, 5:07 PM
Where the blade guard?

JW

Jack Dickey
11-28-2006, 7:48 PM
Sorry David I'm already deaf , no brakes on either Lott ( yep I have two ) .. I got rid of my DECK GUNS , a Kreighoff double with that funky safety , in 470 NE and a Searcy double 500 NE .. I have two deck guns left to acquire , one is a Searcy double 577 NE and a Searcy 4 Bore .. The 577 is kinda spendy and the 4 is REALLY spendy ..
If I get the four you can help me regulate it ..

David Rose
11-28-2006, 8:14 PM
Jeeze! Brakes on those things would probably not only deafen, but knock you off yer horse before the recoil did! The horse might not like it either. :eek:

Pin bed, polish rails, and such, I can help with confidently. Regulating a double without some sort of adjusters is getting somewhat high tech. I might/should be able to do it, but... :rolleyes: Would it not be factory regulated?

You have some guns there, guy. You want what you shoot to stay shot, doncha? :D Bench shooting any of those should be FUN. :eek:

Jack, can we own over 50 cal in the US? Is the 577 a 50 cal bullet? Sorry, too lazy to check. :o

David, who wonders if we are using up woodworker's bandwidth... you can take it "personal" anytime that you want.

Sorry David I'm already deaf , no brakes on either Lott ( yep I have two ) .. I got rid of my DECK GUNS , a Kreighoff double with that funky safety , in 470 NE and a Searcy double 500 NE .. I have two deck guns left to acquire , one is a Searcy double 577 NE and a Searcy 4 Bore .. The 577 is kinda spendy and the 4 is REALLY spendy ..
If I get the four you can help me regulate it ..

Jack Dickey
11-28-2006, 9:19 PM
Yeah we can go over fifty , I wondered that at one time too , as GCA '68 said over 50 required a destructive devices license ..
The 577 is a 585 diameter bullet , those crazy Brits measure lands , not grooves ..
Yeah , they're factory regulated .. BTW the 577's loaded by Kynoch are $130 for a pack of five .. Dies are around $450 a set , brass is about $15-$18 a piece , bullets are about $5 each ..
Yes I like things to stay shot , no I refuse to shoot them off the bench .. Unless I had a Lead Sled ..

David Rose
11-28-2006, 9:43 PM
Jack,

How long since you priced ammo for these stompers? I just entered a few purchase orders tonight for (among other things) ammo that we stock mostly this time of year. Some of it has DOUBLED since last year this time!

We've been in this business since 1970. I've never seen these kinds of increases. Some ammo (and components with copper) has gone up almost 150% in the past two years.

Selling our metals overseas is really starting to cost us! There may be some gouging at the manufacturer's level, but not to this extent. I think they are getting pretty nervous too, from the reps we've spoken with.

David

Yeah we can go over fifty , I wondered that at one time too , as GCA '68 said over 50 required a destructive devices license ..
The 577 is a 585 diameter bullet , those crazy Brits measure lands , not grooves ..
Yeah , they're factory regulated .. BTW the 577's loaded by Kynoch are $130 for a pack of five .. Dies are around $450 a set , brass is about $15-$18 a piece , bullets are about $5 each ..
Yes I like things to stay shot , no I refuse to shoot them off the bench .. Unless I had a Lead Sled ..

Jack Dickey
11-28-2006, 9:51 PM
Well I reload , and have hoarded up several thousand pieces of brass for the 375 H&H , and use it in the H&H and fireform it for the Lott .. I dont buy factory ammo , none of my guns except the NE's ever used factory loads ..
I have about 2000 bullets for the 375 I bought for a song , and about a 1000 458 bullets , hopefully I am safe for a while ..
Yeah they have gone up tremendously ..

David Rose
11-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Sounds good to me! Even at current prices, it is probably smart to stock up.

David

Well I reload , and have hoarded up several thousand pieces of brass for the 375 H&H , and use it in the H&H and fireform it for the Lott .. I dont buy factory ammo , none of my guns except the NE's ever used factory loads ..
I have about 2000 bullets for the 375 I bought for a song , and about a 1000 458 bullets , hopefully I am safe for a while ..
Yeah they have gone up tremendously ..

Jack Dickey
11-29-2006, 8:07 AM
What gets me is I recall hearing three or four years ago that the metals were fixing to go up "in a couple years" .. So I guess they knew ..

David Rose
11-30-2006, 1:09 AM
That is interesting. I don't remember hearing that. I guess we had already sold the steel by then, hadn't we? I was surprised that all the cast iron, I guess in the world(?) comes from Chinese contractors who get it done in Taiwan or someplace small like that. With such a limited supply, it is no wonder prices get high.

David

What gets me is I recall hearing three or four years ago that the metals were fixing to go up "in a couple years" .. So I guess they knew ..