PDA

View Full Version : Pen and Pencil Set

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-26-2006, 5:18 PM
Hi,

I have finished my pen turning season today, the shop was warm with the kind weather and I know this is my last weekend of 2006 to enjoy my work space.

I made this pen and pencil set for a friend of mine, it's a set of blue box elder burls on Junior Gentleman's ball point and 0.7mm pencil.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_7369.jpg
The pens are finished down to a 12,000 Micro mesh and a polish and wax.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_7371.jpg

I hope he enjoys them.:D

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2006, 6:22 PM
Beautiful work!

John Miliunas
11-26-2006, 6:46 PM
Wonderful work, Jim! You tell him that, if he don't enjoy them, I'll be happy to send him MY address! :D :cool:

Corey Hallagan
11-26-2006, 7:06 PM
Very nice indeed! I love the color of the BEB and the finish on the kit together.

Corey

Joash Boyton
11-26-2006, 11:08 PM
one word sums it up.......Beautiful!!.......or was it extraordinary??:D

Brad Kimbrell
11-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Jim,

Great looking pens and super choice of wood! I love that blue color.

You showed me some pens that you turned without the standard tops on them - you rounded over the tops and made your own profile.

You mentioned several steps that you took to get that look. Could you refresh my memory? I just purchased a SuperNova2 chuck and I believe that was what was holding me back from trying this look.

I cleaned out my shop this weekend and have a lot more room to move around. Plan to sell that old 6" Craftsman Jointer and the Craftsman Tube Lathe soon. I purchased an 8" Delta DJ-20 earlier this year and will be buying a larger lathe in the future. Just tired of looking at that lathe standing up in the corner doing nothing...

One more thing - which class(es) are you going for this year at Marc Adams?

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-28-2006, 8:35 PM
Jim,

Great looking pens and super choice of wood! I love that blue color.

You showed me some pens that you turned without the standard tops on them - you rounded over the tops and made your own profile.

You mentioned several steps that you took to get that look. Could you refresh my memory? I just purchased a SuperNova2 chuck and I believe that was what was holding me back from trying this look.

One more thing - which class(es) are you going for this year at Marc Adams?

Hi Brad ,

Thanks for the feed back. I do turn solid end pens using pin chucks. I use my Jacobs chuck to hold the ping chuck. I have been teaching at Lee Valley and so far I have had very positive feed back on the way I make my pens and my teaching

I have no idea what I will take at MA, I have not seen the class offereings, I thought they sent them out to past students first, so far I have not received anything, what are you thinking about taking?

Pat Doble
12-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Great choice on the color/finish combination. Absolutely beautiful set.

Bernie Weishapl
12-02-2006, 10:19 AM
Beautiful set Jim. Great work.

Ernie Nyvall
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Nice job Jim. I've wondered about the dyed burls... it looks great.