PDA

View Full Version : Curly Walnut Pepper Mill

Mike Vickery
11-26-2006, 2:28 PM
CSU 10 inch peppermill in curly Walnut

This is the first one that I completed so far. It turned out okay but not crazy about the shape.

Comment and critiques are welcome. Sorry about the bad picture.

Steve Schlumpf
11-26-2006, 3:25 PM
So what's wrong with the shape? Beautiful wood and I am sure it will make a great gift for someone.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2006, 5:22 PM
Mike.........Pretty peppermill! I'm in the process of turning a 6" out of canarywood as we type. I like your wood and shape!

Corey Hallagan
11-26-2006, 7:19 PM
I like the shape Mike and man that is some pretty walnut.. my favorite wood to turn!

Corey

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 7:57 PM
Very nice curly walnut!

I'm curious about what you feel you would like to be different in the form of this piece. Neither agreeing or disagreeing with you...just wondering about your thoughts to learn from them.

Mark Pruitt
11-26-2006, 8:36 PM
I also like the shape. Nice job!

Mike Vickery
11-26-2006, 9:27 PM
Steve and Jim
Since you asked what I do not like about the shape here it is but let me first say I am by no means an expert on forms.

I think the piece is to thin for the overall length, though some could argue that that keeps it from being to bulky. I would like the base to be wider and the head to be a little wider as well. Also the crown thingy on the very top( above the V cut) makes it a little uncomfortable to use if you "palm" the top when you twist, which is what I do. Also the heigth of the Crown on top seems disproportionate to the size of the head in general. If I really wanted to keep the crown I would eliminate the V cut and transition straight to a slightly smaller crown.

These are just my ideas in truth I have no idea if I would really like them in an actual piece. The only reason the "crown" on top is their is because I had a catch and had to turn it out.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Mike.......I just finished a canary wood 6" peppermill. Mine I think is too fat and bulbous...........My wife thinks it's fine?.............I like the detailing on yours.....I'm not sure I agree with your thinking it's too thin........personal opinions......they differ....makes life interesting.........

Brad Kimbrell
11-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Mike,

I too like the shape. In that dark wood I think it works well.

With that top screw sticking out of the top I would think that most users would grab it from the side anyway. After holding on to that roughing gouge for a few hours my hands don't have the strength to grip from the top anyhow...!!!

Beautiful wood and nice gift for your SWMBO or friend.

John Hart
11-27-2006, 6:57 AM
I like it very much Mike. Shape and everything. The crown on top teaches the user how to grind pepper like those waiters in fancy-schmancy restaurants....from the side. It's a "good" thing. :)

Tom Sherman
11-27-2006, 8:48 AM
I like it too Mike, I have yet to turn a pepper mill but I like yours. The design of it does appeal to me especially with the dark wood.

David Fried
11-27-2006, 9:40 AM
Steve,

I don't think it's bad at all. Great wood and I really like the top. It looks long and lean - how big is it?

I too have a pepper mill in progress and was wondering what you did for a finish?

Thanks

Mike Vickery
11-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Steve,

I don't think it's bad at all. Great wood and I really like the top. It looks long and lean - how big is it?

I too have a pepper mill in progress and was wondering what you did for a finish?

Thanks
I am going to assume you were talking to me not Steve on this.
It is a 10 inch peppermill.

The finish was more an experiment than anything I used BlO let it dry overnight put a couple coats of dewaxed shellac to seal the oil then used General Finishes High Performance water based poly. I usually do not use much water based finishes but I will have to say I was very happy with the way the finish turned out. Unfortunately my wife has marked this as a Christmas gift to my brother in law and he lives in Michigan so I will not be able to judge the long term wear of the finish.