PDA

View Full Version : Festool and Leigh

Paul Canaris
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
Does anyone use the Festool OF 1400 with a Leigh FMT jig? The Leigh users guide does not reference any way to attach the OF 1400 to the sliding plate. The only way I can see would put the router in a front to back orientation which would be very awkward to use. Am I missing something? :confused:

Dan Clark
11-26-2006, 11:40 AM
Does anyone use the Festool OF 1400 with a Leigh FMT jig? The Leigh users guide does not reference any way to attach the OF 1400 to the sliding plate. The only way I can see would put the router in a front to back orientation which would be very awkward to use. Am I missing something? :confused:
Paul,

Check out the "FMT Tour PDF" on the FMT web page. (I'd post the link here, but I understand that is verbotten!) And the router used in their brochure pic? I'll give you one guess. :D

Dan.

Paul Canaris
11-26-2006, 1:32 PM
Yep I noticed that Dan, but I still can't figure out how. The guide references position three (3) for the Festool 2000 and position seven (7) for the Festool 900 (whatever that is), but does not mention the 1010 or the 1400. Also, the only way I can see to do it is in a front to back orientation which would be very, very awkward to use.

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 1:57 PM
Contact Leigh directly...they will likely have some way to help you. They are very good in that respect.

Dan Clark
11-26-2006, 3:33 PM
Yep I noticed that Dan, but I still can't figure out how. The guide references position three (3) for the Festool 2000 and position seven (7) for the Festool 900 (whatever that is), but does not mention the 1010 or the 1400. Also, the only way I can see to do it is in a front to back orientation which would be very, very awkward to use.
Ah, I thought you might not have noticed. Oh, well.

Dan.

Jeff Wright
11-26-2006, 5:53 PM
Your question prompted me to watch the DVD I got with my D4R Leigh jig. While watching the instructional part on using the various jig templates, there was one view that clearly showed that the router they were using is the Festool OF 1400 model. It's important to me because I am about to order the 1400 model. Hope this helps!

Paul Canaris
11-26-2006, 6:53 PM
Yes, I am sure it will work with the Leigh Dovetail jigs, providing you get the 7/16" bushing that is needed. The adaptor plate comes standard with the 1400 that the 7/16" busing attaches to.

However, I am refering to using the 1400 with the FMT which is the Frame Mortise and Tennon jig.

I'll call Leigh tomorrow, I am sure they will know.

Paul Canaris
11-27-2006, 1:03 PM
Just an update in case anyone encounters this in the future. Spoke with Leigh. As new and popular router come out, Leigh adds appropriate mounting holes to the jig plate. As the unit I bought was second hand and two years old, it did not have the necessary holes to mount the Festoll OF1400; recently manufactureed units do The nice guy at Leigh said, just send in the base, and they will machine it at no charge. Great support!! :D

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 1:41 PM
Thanks for the update, Paul! Those folks at Leigh are pretty nice when it comes to this kind of thing...