PDA

View Full Version : More Quality Issues

Chris Barton
11-26-2006, 11:17 AM
So, I just finished replying to Mark's post when I decided to start a new one of my own. Where can a really good, no I mean GREAT, pen mandrel be found? I have been on a search for some time now and have found none that were perfect at my local Woodcraft or at Rocklers or what I have ordered from PSI. I own several mandrels that are described as "professional" but, fresh out of the package all are somewhat out of round on perfectly lined up lathes. I even showed the Woodcraft owner this situation (I dared him to find a perfect one in stock) and we tried 10 "professional" mandrels on a brand new and perfectly aligned Oneway 1642 as well as a Oneway 1224. Every single one had some bend in it or was otherwise, out of round. Like Mark, I am ready for a perfect product and will pay to get it, I just can't find one!

Andrew Harkin
11-27-2006, 11:54 AM
You might have luck with a local machine shop, if you can find one anymore. All the one's I have bought have been less than perfect. I'll be making the next one.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-27-2006, 12:53 PM
I what is the major problem with it Chris? Bending? If you could build one what would you do different? I have a good friend who has a machine shop and I'll run it by him and see what he could come up with. He shows up a few times a week to have a couple of beers and watch me turn. Not in that order.:D

terry miller
11-27-2006, 2:24 PM
I have been thinking about this as well if I were to make one I would make it thicker maybe make a specific mandrel for each type pen I make. I would make it thick enough for the smallest barrel to fit on then make custom bushings for the larger barrel.

Dario Octaviano
11-27-2006, 2:24 PM
Try a Beall Collet chuck ;)

terry miller
11-27-2006, 3:00 PM
Dario while I agree with the Beall being better I still think that the 1/4 inch mandrel is still to flemsy when turning the larger kits which are becoming more prominent. When dealing with tubes that are in the range approaching 1/2 inche why are we still using mandrels half that size. The only reason is because a manufacture has not recieved enough pressure or lost enough sales yet.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-27-2006, 4:14 PM
OK! He just stopped by. He said he would like to give it a go. You think a larger diamater mandrel rod? That means new bushings. I don't turn a lot of pens so someone is gonna have to be a guinee pig. You game Chris?First were gonna need to pick a Kit so we can make new bushings to accomadate the larger rod. Let me Know

Corey Hallagan
11-27-2006, 6:31 PM
Chris for pen kits that have the bushings that fit inside of the tube you can hold in on the lathe that way with cone centers on each end and turn one barrel at one time. Custom bushings could be made for those that kits that don't have the step in the busines like slimlines etc. Between centers like this pretty much insures perfect roundness. I have done a few like this myself after reading about this on the pen forums. I think Dario experimented with this as well.

Corey

Joe Melton
11-27-2006, 7:02 PM
I've given up on finding a good mandrel. They are all mass produced, and cheap. No one apparently thinks there is a market for a precision one. I find that the Beall chuck doesn't really give me any better results.
I always turn the barrels 180 degrees after each sanding grit to lessen the eccentricity of the barrels. The result of doing this satisfies the usual customer. As an artisan, though, I would prefer to make something more perfect.
Paul Huffman has not been able to keep up with the orders for his pen-makers' vise, made because those sold by the usual suppliers are so poor. Pen makers are more than willing to pay his price.
Maybe it is time for a machinist to start making and selling good mandrels. It can't be that difficult.
Joe

Roger Myers
11-27-2006, 7:21 PM
I was also frustrated a little with the woodcraft adjustable mandrel, and even thought that I may have bent it. Looking closer, I discovered some slight burrs inside the collet that the mandrel shaft runs in... both the collet and the nut that secures it. I took some fine emery paper on a dowel and worked the surface, eliminating all burrs.... shaft runs very true now. I know we shouldn't have to go through this exercise, but at least I have a true running mandrel now. You may want to check and see if you have the same issues...
Roger

Dario Octaviano
11-27-2006, 8:18 PM
Chris for pen kits that have the bushings that fit inside of the tube you can hold in on the lathe that way with cone centers on each end and turn one barrel at one time. Custom bushings could be made for those that kits that don't have the step in the busines like slimlines etc. Between centers like this pretty much insures perfect roundness. I have done a few like this myself after reading about this on the pen forums. I think Dario experimented with this as well.

Corey

I do turn my pens without a mandrel now.

Actually I use the mandrel but stop before the final cut...and do that without a mandrel.

How? I use a 60 degree live center on the tailstock and a 60 deg deadcenter on the headstock. Only caveat is it only works with bushings that have a "tenon" where the pen barrel's tube slip in. Another one...you can only turn one barrel at a time.

Give it a try...works wonderfully and the price is right ;)

Chris Barton
11-28-2006, 6:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! First, Kurt I would like to machine a new mandrel but, it would have to be able to accept standard 7mm bushings (I have a big collection of bushings.) I have to believe that a well machined steel MT2 mandrel has plenty of "backbone". I got a few suggestions of going to the "B" mandrel and that a possibility as a short term resolution to the problem.

Corey Hallagan
11-28-2006, 9:59 AM
Chris, the only thing I don't like about the Berea mandrells is that they are not adjustable. I like to turn one barrel at a time these days. PSI's adjustable mandrell will eventually bend. Try a Craft Supply, it is the same type and I am told it is made of harder steel. At least you can turn one barrell at a time and they shouldn't bend that way.

Corey