PDA

View Full Version : Trimming frame & panel doors

Rob Blaustein
11-26-2006, 9:42 AM
I need to trim some frame & panel doors in my house. The trimmed surfaces won't be visible but I remember reading somewhere that it is still a good idea to finish them somehow to prevent moisture-induced expansion. So what's the best way to do that? I have primer around and could simply prime them, even paint them too. But I also have other things around like shellac and I thought I read somewhere that shellac is actually good for preventing water vapor exchange (though not good for actual water protection).
--Rob

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Shellac would be an excellent choice for this Rob...fast, cheap and dries quickly. And yes, shellac is one of the best moisture barriers going. (moisture...not "water"...there is a difference!)

Rob Blaustein
11-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jim. Although it's not hard to pick up other types, the only shellac I have 'in stock' is the Zinsser Sealcoat de-waxed 2lb cut. Would de-waxed vs plain shellac matter for vapor barrier purposes?

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 11:28 AM
No difference in that respect...and better given you can top coat with "anything" in the future should you want to with the de-waxed shellac.