PDA

View Full Version : Panel Saw? good or bad?

Ben Roman
11-26-2006, 1:02 AM
Hello All,

I have a opportunity to pick up a panel saw really cheap.. Will I need one later on? It will cut 4x8 sheets. I suppose I could open a cabinet shop now:: :)

Ben

Bart Leetch
11-26-2006, 1:11 AM
Grab it now.

I like mine.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42420

Charlie Plesums
11-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Not all panel saws are created equal, and not all remain equal after years of abuse in a commercial shop.

The beauty of a panel saw is precise cuts...straight and at the exact right angle to the edge it is lying on. I would check that very closely to be sure it is really a bargain. Easiest check is to cut a panel, then "fold" it at the cut and see if the cut edges of the two pieces are even.

Dan Clark
11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Ben,

One downside of panel saws is that they take up a lot of space. If you have it, that's great. If not, you might want to consider a circular + rail.

Check out the link in Bart's post. The thread discusses panel saws and edge guides.

I use a Festool TS55 + guide rail + pink foam insullation. Flop two pieces of 1" X 2' X 8' insullation on the floor, throw down the panel, place the rail and cut. It's very easy and very accurate.

If you have a circular saw that you like, you can get edge guide from Hartville tool. They carry the Red-line Cutting Guide (rated best buy in a recent Fine Woodworking edge guide shoot-off, with Festool guided rated best overall), the EZ Smart Guide, and another clamp/guide. Go to the main page and click "Edge Guides".

Good luck with your decision.

Dan.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Does it say "Striebig" on it anywhere??