PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid portable air compressor

Bryan Rocker
11-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Good evening folks, with all buisness trying to lure shoppers in I have been looking around for a good air compressor at a reasonable price. While I have steered away from direct drive units due to their lack of oil lubed pumps I stumbled across this Ridgid OL50135W 5 gallon twin tank 13 amp air compressor. It is comes with a oiled direct drive compressor with a stated 4.6 CFM @90 PSI. It also has wheels and a foldable handle. My needs aren't great since all my tools are currently electic, I just want to run a nailer, and other mundane stuff. Space is a serious issue since I park the cars in my shop....My shop is a few years away so here is my question. Does anybody have any experience with this unit? HD has it for $299.

On a related note I noticed the vast majority of Craftsman compressors are now oiled units. They still exagerate the HP ratins but I was surprised to find oiled direct drive units instead of oil-free ones.

Kent Fitzgerald
11-26-2006, 7:27 AM
While I have steered away from direct drive units due to their lack of oil lubed pumps
Bryan, direct drive and oil lubrication are two separate issues. There are direct drive / oil lubed units (which is probably what you want), belt drive / oil free, and every other combination. I'd stick with your instinct to avoid oil free compressors.