PDA

View Full Version : Table top finishing, again.

John Piwaron
11-02-2003, 3:49 PM
It won't be long until I get to the finishing of the table, and I have a question.

Right now I'm planning on using Waterlox to finish the table. What do you think? What is used most often? I've seen "Rockhard Table Top Varnish" for sale, is a film coat like that or polyurethane needed for this job, at least on the top surface that'll see the place settings, silverware and all manner of day to day life?

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-02-2003, 7:04 PM
It won't be long until I get to the finishing of the table, and I have a question.

Right now I'm planning on using Waterlox to finish the table. What do you think? What is used most often? I've seen "Rockhard Table Top Varnish" for sale, is a film coat like that or polyurethane needed for this job, at least on the top surface that'll see the place settings, silverware and all manner of day to day life?

Is Waterlox a lacquer? If you're set up to spray, don't overlook some of the better lacquers. I studied the spec sheets of a couple Sherwin Williams products and decided that their pre-cat lacquer was awfully close to poly for moisture resistance...and a helluva lot easier to work with, IMO. That's all I use for tabletops and haven't had any complaints yet. A buddy shoots the SW conversion (or pre-cat, not sure which) varnish with good results, and it dries like lacquer...in other words, right now. He has a bit more trouble spraying that in humid weather than I have with the lacquer, if that's worth anything.

KC

John Piwaron
11-02-2003, 9:17 PM
Is Waterlox a lacquer? If you're set up to spray, don't overlook some of the better lacquers.
KC

Waterlox is a tung oil/varnish mix in a mineral spirits carrier. In this case, I must finish it in the house. I'll be doing the apply with a rag method. I could spray, but really prefer doing that outside since overspray is a problem.

BTW, I'm a hobbiest, not a pro. I'm also the guy that spoke to you quite a while ago about mesquite. I'm almost embarassed to say that since I should have finished that a long time ago. Other projects got in the way.