PDA

View Full Version : Career questions

Andrew Melamed
11-25-2006, 9:37 PM
So, it's my first year of highschool and I need to start looking into a career. I've been looking at underwater welding and becoming a shop teacher.

I already have everything all set for underwater welding but, I'm lost when it comes to being a shop teacher. What schools are there and stuff like that? Thanks for any help.

Peter Stahl
11-26-2006, 6:14 AM
So, it's my first year of highschool and I need to start looking into a career. I've been looking at underwater welding and becoming a shop teacher.

I already have everything all set for underwater welding but, I'm lost when it comes to being a shop teacher. What schools are there and stuff like that? Thanks for any help.

If your school guidance counseler is any good then they should be a lot of help with that. You should have one assigned to you already. The shop teachers I had were all Industrial Arts Teachers and they taught wood shop, metal shop, drafting, etc. You should also talk to the shop teachers, I'm sure they can give you a lot of insite. I'm 50 and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Wood shop was my favorite class (besides lunch) in school. Ask lots of questions from you counsler and teachers and surf the web for Industrial Arts Teachers. Underwater welding is probably a safer career then working in most High Schools. Good luck, you're off to a good start by asking questions.

Doug Gilluley
11-26-2006, 7:39 AM
Hmmm,
Underwater welder-$300hr plus expenses
High school shop teacher-$400wk
Both positions frought with unseen dangers.
I believe that shop teachers are second only to dentists in suicide.
Underwater welders don't need suicide, just quit paying attention for a millisecond.
Your choice Andrew. Best of luck.

Doug

Randy Moore
11-26-2006, 8:46 AM
Whatever you decide , you need a good education. I know that I must sound like a parent, which I am, or some kind of idiot.

I just barely made it through H.S.. I didn't know if I had the credits to get out. But apparently the didn't want me or I wasn't worth the trouble to make me go to summer school. I didn't like college, 3 days. Ended up going the my Dad and asking him for guidance. He asked what I wanted to do? GOT NO IDEA. He owned a sheet metal shop so I went to the union and signed up for the apprentice program. 34 Years later I am broken down 53 YO man looking forward to the day I can quit. I can and will retire at 55. I am tired of being out in the cold, heat, rain and whatever else the weather wants to toss our way.
Yes I have been lucky, just 1 broken bone and no other major injuries. I have had 100s of stiches from cuts and have plenty of scars. I have trouble walking, holding a cup of coffee or a can of pop. My body hurts like the dickens. My son wanted to follow my footsteps and I told him NO. He is now a Diesel Truck Mechanic and according to his bosses a pretty good one.
So the only thing I can say is GET YOUR EDUCATION so that you don''t have to work like a slave.

Randy

John Bailey
11-26-2006, 8:54 AM
It's good to read that you're thinking so far ahead. The best advice I can give you is get as much education as you can and keep your options open. I was a high school principal for 16 yrs. One time I had a mother very upset with me because her daughter wanted to take "Metals" for a 4th time in her senior yr. We had already bent the rules a couple of times to let her take the course 3 times. We did this because, with her academic skills, we didn't have a lot to offer her at our small school. We did have, however, a lower math class that she was qualified to take, and that was my suggestion. The mother came to a board meeting, swore at me, and the board and in general cause a real ruckus. Her daughter didn't take the math class. Move ahead 4 yrs. The mother called me up to see if her daughter could sign-up for adult education even though she had graduated from our school. I asked why, and was told that the local community college wouldn't let her in a welding class because she didn't have enough math.

My point - get all the education you can, and keep your options open, don't limit yourself.

John

Jack Dickey
11-26-2006, 9:17 AM
I was offered four years of free education by the Navy 32 years ago .. The biggest mistake I ever made was saying no .. Not once , but three times ..
Get all the education you can get , cause like Randy , I've hit this point in life with an aching body and all the stuff that goes with it .. Nope we caint call back the past , but I regret not getting that four years of free school in ..

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2006, 9:19 AM
Andrew....It's great to see you asking this type of a question at your age. I'm 57 .....getting ready to retire.........still don't know what I want to do if and when I grow up....:D

A piece of advice.......while you are in HS......take some subjects that you are not quite sure you'd like and take some you think you'd like.

My youngest son went to 5 1/2 years of college. His first year he thought he'd like to go into business so his freshman year he was a business major. He came home with a 3.2 and a 3.4 average for the 2 semesters. He switched to be a science major his sophomore and graduated 4 1/2 years after the switch with a 3.86 average IIRC. His degree was a Bachelor of Science - Natural Sciences Pre-med. He brought home 2 B's his last 4 1/2 years...the rest of his grades were A's the last 4 1/2 years. He spent 5 years in the Navy as an officer and is now going to dental school on a Navy scholarship. The point is that he didn't realize until he took some college level math and science classes where his natural interests and talent were. Find out...don't be afraid to try something even if you think it might be difficult. Find out where your interests and talents are now.

But, above all, get all the education you can. If financial challenges rise up, inquire at the schools. There are often scholarships and grants that go unused every year.

Good luck Andrew!

Mitchell Andrus
11-26-2006, 9:38 AM
Andrew,

Those who can work with thier hands will always find work. We're a 'dying breed' not for lack of work, but because the 'puter nerds make working at a desk look easy and look down at us. Forget it. Even millionaires need to have thier oil changed.

Get GOOD at math, critical thinking, practical repairs, business and finance first. Get a general business degree. Then, go out and work at different jobs til you find one that suits you and hang out your shingle.

My first boss (automotive upholstery) said I'd always earn a living after only a week on the job, he was right. I bought his company two years later. That was in '79 - I was 20. I'm on my fourth 'career' now and have enough in the bank to retire but can't stomach the thought. All with my wits and hands.

Don't take a desk job unless you want to. Just be better than others in your field and the world will do better than feed you.

The fastest raising class of millionaires in this country are plumbers and electricians. No kidding.

Mitch

Jeff Wright
11-26-2006, 9:44 AM
As important as college education is, I often wonder today whether one would be smarter to a] get a good high school education in some basic math, b] align yourself with a great mentor in the trades, c] learn all you can about running a business (bookkeeping, legal and such, all things you can easily get from using a knowledgeable accountant or experienced book keeper or local attorney), d] working 3 to 7 years for a tradesman of your preferred area, e] then start your own business, growing slowly over time. Do it all with a firm personal commitment to honesty with yourself, your staff and your clients, do what you say you're going to do, and aim to do good work. Then, learn to live on 80% of whatever you earn, putting the remainder in a passive diversified portfolio of index funds (at your age at least 80% equities and 20% in fixed income - use Vanguard funds, NO brokers!!), and don't touch that money for the next thirty-five years. Then, at age 55 (I assume you are about 20 currently), your money worries will be largely eliminated, you will have built up a reputation for quality work, you can delegate your work rather than spend your own time out in the cold weather, and just maybe you could sell your ongoing business to some other aspiring young person.

I know too many college grads who can't get a job. A well-learned skill in the trades offers a good bit of security (if you have the integrity and character to go with it). Plus, it is difficult to outsource cabinet making and kitchen installations to China or rewiring that 30-year old house.

Joe Pelonio
11-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Every shop teacher I've ever seen has had one or more finger missing.:eek:

There's really no hurry for you to decide on a career. Of my 3 kids the youngest now 19 is the only one that is doing what he thought he would at an early age. Do some research into other kinds of work that people are doing these days, and what's going to be in high demand in the future. The choose something that you will love to do for a long time, because in most every job experience makes you good at it and with that comes more money.

Still, don't overlook something that will make you happy with what you will be doing just because it doesn't pay as well as something else.

Andrew Melamed
11-26-2006, 11:35 AM
I like underwater welding but, I talk to a lot of welder at the local supply and underwater welders lose their hearing from being underwater all the time. If I was a shop teacher Id probally go crazy and somebody in the class would "fall" into the saw.:D

John Shuk
11-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I looked into commercial diving and am an avid recreational diver. I know quite a few former commercial guys and none of the have much encouraging to say about it. If you want to have steady work you need to travel alot. You dive in the worst conditions. You might be lucky enough to be able to see what you are working on much less any of the "wonders" of the underwater realm. Trying to get life insurance is out as well as health insurance. It can be had but it isn't affordable by most people even well paid commercial divers. I think you would have to talk to some older divers to find out what the long term effects of getting bent again and again are. If you can find some old divers. But on the other side of the coin. We need guys willing to do the job. Most aren't family guys and are real used to living in a place for a few months at most and moving on. Most of my buddies say "It was cool as a younger guy with no committments but....". For a frame of reference most of these guys are in their 30's.

Michael Cody
11-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I like underwater welding but, I talk to a lot of welder at the local supply and underwater welders lose their hearing from being underwater all the time. If I was a shop teacher Id probally go crazy and somebody in the class would "fall" into the saw.:D

First my son is studying diesel repair and is taking all the welding classes offered in addition. Welding crosses a lot of disciplines. You can work in just about any industry as a welder, underwater or not. All jobs have risks too, some more than others.

But overall:

I am on my 5 or 6th career @ 47 and you've gotten some very good advice, I have worked with young men for 15 years in scouts and always advise the following:

Look at careers you can make a living at first. I know they say follow your heart but if you love making buggy whips, you can't make enough money at it most likely so it's not a viable option.

Pick something you are good at. If you aren't good .. you won't enjoy it probably and it will be much tougher to make a living. Even in bad times the folks who are best at what they do can make a living. You don't have to be in a class by yourself, but the class roll call shouldn't take to long.

Pick something you like.. I know this is third and lots of folks say follow your heart and do something you love .. well reality sucks. If you aren't good at it and you can't make a living at it... doing something you love but can't make a living at will just beat you down and frustrate you.. that is what hobbies are for.

Lastly ---

Get all the education you can ... *anytime* someone offers training, take it.. even if it's not something you think you want to do for a career. Nothing makes you more valuable than knowledge and you never know you might find that new career you always wanted.

One more thing, enjoy being young, don't hurry to grow up too quickly 'cause I can tell you life doesn't get any easier as you go along and you need to enjoy the moment while you can.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Many states require you to have a teaching certificate to teach any subject including shop. that means you gotta go to college and major in education.

On the other hand a trade (a real trade - like welding) will require only the skills you have learned along the way and maybe a couple certificates. A trade school can get you started and a good apprentice program can set you up quite well - if you can find one.

There are a variety of certificates that can assist you in getting interviews and jobs. But whether you excell is all up to you.

I am suspicious that your choices are more a factor of your current interests and less influenced by long term goals and contemplation.
Underwater welding may sound romantic and reek of machismo but there is a reason for that. It's because it's so damn dangerous.

Do you really want to do a thing for a living that will daily present you with lethal options? Threr many other issues associated with extensive scuba (even without the construction & welding hazards) such as dental work popping, hearing loss, DCI, CAGE, Barotrauma to ears and lungs, oxygen toxosis, drowing, vertigo, dangerous marine lifeforms, fungal infections, hypoxia, nitogen narcosis, and congestive heart failure - etc..
All all of that every single day, all day long. That's a lot.

To my knowledge, marine welders are itinerant having move to the work living there till the job is done and then off to another project. That lifestyle will, of a certainty, indroduce problems and stresses for any family you try to establish.

Shop Instructor may seem like a great thing right now because - well - you probably really like your shop teacher. But in the long haul teaching school, no matter the subject, is like comitting yourself to be a missionary. You'll always struggle with money. I know teachers who wait tables during the summer because they need the cash.

So maybe you can do scuba for fun and be a welder for life?

Andrew Melamed
11-26-2006, 2:37 PM
i took scuba corses, just need to finish up my cert. dives. The only thing I worried about with welding is its not a steady job like teaching is.

Jim Bell
11-26-2006, 8:07 PM
If there is a jr college in your area, see if they will give your an aptitude test. It is amazing how accurate these tests are. Mine cost me $35.00. I wish I had been able to take one 40yrs ago.
Jim

Chris B. Gilluley
11-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Just my opinion, which doesn't amount to jack, but it sounds like, to me, that you should give the Navy a shot. I'm not kidding. You want to dive...Navy. You want to weld...Navy. You want to teach...Navy.
No, I am not a recruiter. I joined the Navy right out of high school. That was a "few" years ago. I did my thing and got out. Travel, trade, I have no regrets. Be it understood, I was in during peace time. Things are different now, but still, IMHO, it is worth thinking about.

Chris

Jack Dickey
11-29-2006, 8:21 AM
Yep , I spent twelve years in that fine and glorious outfit , the Navy .. There's a job there that welds ( HT , Hull Maintenance Tech ) , and quite a few different job fields are divers .. Once you get thru dive school you are , more or less , a seperate branch , from the common goings on in the Navy ..
I worked with a Master Diver from 1979-81 , he loved it , but would tell you up front and real quick how dangerous it was .. I've dove recreationally , but I would never get in the water in Norfolk Va or San Diego Ca , I dont care how much protective gear I have on ..
It's one thing to dive , another to dive and work underwater .. The older you get , the more self preservation kicks in .. Well , to a point , there's things I do , that people think are crazy ..

Chris B. Gilluley
12-01-2006, 9:42 PM
I was a 'Hull Tech', welder, plumber, pipefitter, basically a jack of all trades, master of none. Started welding steel construction when I got out, now I play with trains (CSX).

A little self-disipline never hurt anyone either.

Chris