PDA

View Full Version : A quick question about cutting aluminum on my TS if I may?..........real quick.......

Mark Rios
11-25-2006, 9:32 PM
The aluminum is 3/16" thick. It's an extruded aluminum sub-fence so in a couple of places it is thicker. I need to make a rip approximately 16" long.

Is there anything special that I need to do to cut this on my Uni?

Or should I clamp it down and try to cut it straight with my jigsaw?

I wouldn't have worried too much about it on my old Ridgid but I don't want to do something wrong with or to this saw.

Thanks very much for yor advice.

Ed Hilton
11-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Use a blade designed for aluminum and soft metal. I think a triple chip is appropriate, but not sure. Use a blade lube ... looks like a giant chap stick.

Wear long sleevs, and full face protection. It will throw shrapnel like you can't believe.

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 10:26 PM
...and leave the DC off.

Mark Rios
11-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Thanks very much.

I have no DC so that wasn't an issue. I have an old Dewalt Series 20 blade that I don't use very much so I used that. Cut just fine.

Should I worry about any aluminum shavings/chips in the saw?

Thank you very much again.

chris fox
11-26-2006, 1:30 AM
If possible(depending on the size of aluminum your cutting) I double stick tape the aluminum to scrape MDF. It just seems to cut more smoothly with less vibration. I also use full face mask.

Ben Grunow
11-26-2006, 7:31 AM
Why no DC Jim? Wont some of the aluminum shavings be sucked up when the DC is turned on later, even after a shop vac cleaning there will be a few? Are metal shavings bad for a cyclone? (I know he doesnt have one but theoretically speaking)

Ed Hilton
11-26-2006, 7:58 AM
The problem with using a dust collector when cutting metal is the slight chance of getting hot metal into the sawdust and getting it to smolder. After a few minutes the problem goes away.

Ron Blaise
11-26-2006, 9:00 AM
your aluminum on a band saw, in-fact I just cut some 80 x 60mm extrusion on mine yesterday and it worked great. I have cut it on a table saw before, but that was scary!

Matt Calder
11-26-2006, 9:30 AM
Mark,

For future reference keep these in mind, they cut aluminum, steel, wood, just about anything.

http://www.metaldevil.com/evolution.html

The blade is the important part. I've cut through a foot of 1/2" thick steel plate freehand using the Evolution - 180. It is nice to have around for cutting steel pipe and, threaded rod, and as per your question, aluminum.

Matt

Rick Christopherson
11-26-2006, 2:40 PM
The problem with using a dust collector when cutting metal is the slight chance of getting hot metal into the sawdust and getting it to smolder. After a few minutes the problem goes away.That's a problem with ferrous metals, not aluminum. There is nothing wrong with running a dust collector while cutting aluminum.

Noah Katz
11-26-2006, 4:36 PM
"That's a problem with ferrous metals, not aluminum. "

Are you sure about that?

It's true aluminum won't burn and continue generating heat like steel, but it still gets plenty hot from cutting friction.

Robert Mickley
11-26-2006, 7:43 PM
That metal devil is wicked!!

Rick Christopherson
11-26-2006, 7:49 PM
Are you sure about that?Yes. It is a cutting action with aluminum not a grinding action. The metal flake will get warm, but not hot enough to combust.

Joe Foggia
11-29-2006, 6:30 PM
Triple chip with a Negative hook angle is best. I spray a little WD40 or other light lube before hand. A standard ATB positive hook works fine too. Just don't push fast. Let blade do its work. Many hundreds of aluminum cuts and no problems. Joe