PDA

View Full Version : craft shows

John Piwaron
11-02-2003, 3:47 PM
LOML & I went to a craft show today. She goes to these things from time to time, but I rarely do. Just for grins, I went along this time.

There were a lot of booths, but of the 150 or so vendors, only 3 or 4 were selling anything wooden. Most were ornaments, doll clothes and so on. It's obvious many people put lots of effort into their work.

But my question is about the number of wooden item vendors. This particular one was a Martin Luther H.S. in Greenfield, WI across from the Southridge Mall. Are there other Milwaukee area shows that have more wooden stuff? Like pens, turnings and all manner of wooden doodads and furniture?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-02-2003, 8:26 PM
John, I can't speak for Wisconsin, but I demonstrate caning, play the saw and exhibit some of my wood working at numerous Texas festivals and there are always a goodly number of woodworkers selling craft items of all kinds as well as pen makers and toy makers. Some do well and others do not. I would be one of those who do not since I hate selling and merchandising.

Mike Evertsen
11-02-2003, 8:52 PM
the last few crafts show I've gone to around there seems to less wood too,,the big shows pull in more wood than the smaller shows,,,I havn;t done craft shows in quite awhile next year I going to do a few to try to build up buiness,,

Pete Lamberty
11-03-2003, 9:39 AM
I live near Chicago and I go to a few shows every year. I stay away from the cutesy art and craft shows that are normally at malls or on the main street of some village. But there are a number of high end shows that are called art and craft shows, but really, these are "art" as far as I am concerned. The artist/craftspersons that show their work at these are probably in the top percentage when it comes to skill and artistic designs. The prices can go up into the thousands of dollars, rarely is there anything for less then fifty dollars. Needless to say I never buy anything at these. I just love to look at how creative people are. Of course I am drawn to the wood craftspeople, but there are only a small percentage at each show. I would say less then five percent of vendors at these shows are wood related. If you ever get the chance, come to Chicago in June and go to the Old Town Art Fair. It is one of the best. Pete

John Piwaron
11-03-2003, 9:33 PM
I'm in Milwaukee, so going to Chicago for that Old Town Art Fair would be a nice day's trip. Where exactly in Chicago? Chicago's a big place.

When in June? There's only one other activity I do that might interfere (Nascar race in Michigan) hopefully it's not the same weekend.

Pete Lamberty
11-04-2003, 9:37 AM
Hi John, Go to www.oldtowntriangle.com/ . June 12 and 13 are the dates for the 2004 Old Town Art Fair. The web site will give you location etc. If you are interested in contemporary design, you may like to attend the Chicago design show Nov 6 to 9, 2003. It is at the Merchandise Mart. Go to www.merchandisemart.com/chicagodesign/. Its is manufactured furniture for the most part. But you will see great designs there, many from Europe. Also individual craftsmen. Its a great show but different then the Old Town fair.