PDA

View Full Version : How do I choose a new lathe?

Brad Kimbrell
11-25-2006, 8:39 PM
In speaking to some of the locals here and in Louisville, it appears that everyone either owns or dreams of owning a One-Way or Powermatic. I have already decided (after turning things other than pens for the past month) that I am going to want a nice lathe.

I have been turning pens and small trinkets on a Jet Mini for several years and am ready to move to bowls and hollow forms - I've done a few small ones on the mini but I can tell that I would wear the bearings out if I continue to try to swing 10" heavy pieces.

I will need to spend about a year saving and would plan to spend what it takes to get the right tool - up to about $3,500 but would rather spend about $1.5K - $2K.

Can I get a top-quality lathe for $2K?
If money was not an object (up to $4K) what would you purchase?I'm sure this is like the table saw question, but I do need some guidance as I have no point of reference other than the VS Jet for about $1K with leg set that I have seen in the showroom in town. I probably need to see some other lathes as well, but being new I don't really know what to look for in a machine.

Thanks in advance for any input you can offer.

Dario Octaviano
11-25-2006, 8:43 PM
PM 3520B can be had delivered for less than $2,700.00 that will be my bet.

http://www.osolnikmachinery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=506&HS=1

Pete Jordan
11-25-2006, 8:55 PM
I got mine from Toolnut for I think $2550.

Mike Vickery
11-25-2006, 9:28 PM
Carefully!

What I did is a e-mailed 4 proffesional turners with my budget and what kind of work I was interested in and asked them what they thought the best lathe in that class was. Then I threw their advice out the window when I found a good deal on a used lathe. I think they would have agreed on my final decision though.

For 2k I would get a Jet 1642 2HP model. If I went up to 4k I would look at the biggest Powermatic and Oneways in that price range and you are almost into Stubby price range (not sure exactly but I think they are more than 4K).
The problem with asking on forums is people usually think what ever lathe they own is best or many have limited experience with different machines. I asked pro's because I knew they did demos and worked on several different machines.

Reed Gray
11-25-2006, 9:47 PM
As a PM owner for 7 years, and having done some demos on other lathes, I think that it is the best bang for the bucks. The Jet 1642 is good also. What you do want is a variable speed not the reeves drive. A sliding headstock makes your lathe a bowl lathe and a spindle lathe (it is so nice not to have to lean over the ways to turn the inside of a bowl or box). I prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting ones. You don't need a tool rest extention which can lead to vibrations. Oneways are very well built and run very smoothly, but very expensive. I believe that they are made here, with nothing coming from China or other points over seas. This accounts for the extra cost. Haven't tried the Nova DVR (have heard nothing but good things about it), but with the stand it is almost the same cost as the PM. The PM is heavier, and has more horse power.
robo hippy

Brad Kimbrell
11-25-2006, 9:50 PM
Very good advice guys. I was unaware that the PM could be had for so little...relatively. I saw one go for $3,500 at an auction at a furniture factory that was going out of business here 10 years ago. Seems like excitement got the best of some of those fellows...

I happened to purchase 1,000 bd. ft. of Cherry for $0.80 / bd. ft. and all of the old timers told me that I was crazy - it could be had for $1 / bd. ft. all the time. I haven't seen any for that price since then and have just a little bit left now.

I wouldn't be adverse to a used lathe to get a better model. I know bearings are important, but how can you tell if a lathe has been abused by looking?

Bill Turpin
11-25-2006, 11:18 PM
The turning lab at Arrowmont (and probably the other schools) has lathes of all the flavors...mayo, mustard, light green, dark green, black. There are enough of each brand for you to turn at the different ones. A lathe MUST FIT your body for it to be a good purchase. No matter what the features are, you will not like it if it does not fit. A weekend class at one of the turning schools is money well spent if it prevents your dream lathe from not really being your dream lathe! :(

Bill in WNC mountains

Brad Kimbrell
11-26-2006, 8:33 PM
Bill,

That's good advice as well. The school that I attend every year (Marc Adams in Indy) has only One Ways - 21 of them lined up in one room!

I would like to get some time on various lathes so your suggestion on Arrowmont is well taken. I've wanted to make a trip up there for years and this would give me a good excuse.

Thanks for the advice on how to get time on various brands.

Jim Becker
11-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Brad, do try to turn on as many differnet lathes as you can..."comfort" is important when you are making an investment in the next level of machine. That's how I ended up with my Stubby...it was the one that felt the best for the kind of work I like to do. OneWays are nice, but that big, fat tube just kept getting in my way and causing me to bend in ways I didn't want to have to do. Poolewood (no longer available, relatively speaking) was second in comfort, but too big a footprint for my shop. Vicmark shortbed felt better than the OneWay for me, but still didn't feel right. The PM was OK, but I didn't want a long-bed lathe.

That said, with your budget, go for the PM3520B if you can. If not, it's little sister, the Jet 1642 2hp is a great buy at about $2K.

Richard Allen
11-27-2006, 4:51 PM
The Oneway 1640 is less than $4000 and is a fantastic lathe

Frank Kobilsek
11-27-2006, 5:40 PM
Brad
Going from a mini to full sized machine means all new attachements, chucks, faceplates, extra tool rests and maybe centers. Them things add up in a hurry. If I had $3K to spend I'd go with the Jet 1642 just like I did in 2004. Had about $1500 left over for the 'Stuff'. Next time I want to spend $3K on a lathe I'll get the Powermatic because the 'Stuff' will fit. Until I win the Irish lottery, as asked in the turner interveiws, I probably make decisions based on the 'Stuff' as much as the machines. You just gotta have the 'Stuff'.

Just a side note to add to the confusion.

Frank