PDA

View Full Version : Truck Gloat - My New Chevy Silverado

Rick Doyle
11-25-2006, 4:01 PM
My 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax diesel pick-up finally arrived here yesterday. I had ordered it way back in mid-september and was beginning to think it might never get here. Here's a couple of pics:

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/images/silverado_1292.jpg

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/images/silverado_1293.jpg

http://www.rickswoodworking.ca/images/silverado_1295.jpg

Rick

Tim Burke
11-25-2006, 4:10 PM
Rick,

Nice pickup, but I like the view of the mountains out your front yard way better!:)

Tim

Rick Doyle
11-25-2006, 4:24 PM
Rick,

Nice pickup, but I like the view of the mountains out your front yard way better!:)

Tim
Thanks Tim. I love that view as well! Those mountains are actually on a place called Salt Spring Island - it just sits a few miles off of Cowichan Bay which is where I live. Salt Spring and Vancouver Island are separated by a small strait which leads into Cowichan Bay. The 'bay' is just beyond the trees in the pic and down a very big hill to the water.

The view is definitely better than any truck!:)

Rick

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 5:57 PM
Sweet looking "Silver"-rado!!! Congrats, Rick! And I agree with the sentiment on the view.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2006, 6:15 PM
Congrats Rick! Keep us posted on that Duramax diesel! One of the things I plan on doing with part of my 401K when I retire is buy a new 1 ton diesel. I haven't decided which flavor yet.

Beautiful scenery!

Jack Dickey
11-25-2006, 6:57 PM
Nice view and truck as well ..
I've had three diesels , one Powerstroke , one Cummins and the 6.5L Chevy ..
They all have their good points ..
My powerstroke was a 7.3 Liter , its my choice if you do a lot of highway miles ..
The Cummins is better if you're doing a lot of heavy towing on backroads ( inline six is a better puller than a V8 )
The Chevy is good cause it has the Allison tranny .. Also was the quietest and best riding comfort wise ..
Now if I cud find some adapter kits to put the Cummins and Allison in a Ford truck , would be purrfect !!!

Bruce Page
11-25-2006, 7:12 PM
Sweet ride Rick. A freind of mine has one and it is very nice. One of these days I'm going to have to replace my 11 year old Ram...

John Miliunas
11-25-2006, 7:18 PM
Gee thanks....Among the other "ailments" I have, you can now add "truck envy" to them! :o Sweet machine, Rick! I have an old S10 and I so yearn for something a bit bigger. That there Silverado would fit the bill quite nicely! Have fun with it! :) :cool:

Karl Laustrup
11-26-2006, 8:20 AM
Nice pick m up there Rick. :) Interesting that you got the older body style 2007. Not quite sure why the mfg's build two different body styles and have them labeled as the same year.

Curious if you're going to put the chip kit in for power and mileage? I understand it really makes that 6.2 a winner in power and mileage.

Karl

Robert Mickley
11-26-2006, 9:22 AM
Nice truck Rick!!! Teh Duramax will make some serious HP too. There was one at the truck pulls this year. Ended up with 6 trucks in a pulloff. They stopped everyone at 150 feet or less, except for the Duramax. He madfe a full pull. Unlike the other truck there the only time it was blowing black smoke was when it took off and when it shifted gears :D

Now if I cud find some adapter kits to put the Cummins and Allison in a Ford truck , would be purrfect !!!

I'm with you Jack, but carefull what you wish for. There are kits out there now to put the Cummins in a Ford.

Rick Doyle
11-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Nice pick m up there Rick. :) Interesting that you got the older body style 2007. Not quite sure why the mfg's build two different body styles and have them labeled as the same year.

Karl
Hi Karl,

You're right about the two different 2007 models although the one I have, called the Silverado 'Classic', is no longer available - it was a limited edition promotion by GM this fall ahead of the newer 2007 versions. The 2007 Classic does not have any of the new emission standards mandated for all diesels as of January 1, 2007. The classic trucks have the same diesel engine, catalytic converter and emission system as the previous Duramax models.

I think it was just a marketing ploy by GM to get ahead of the game by allowing those of us who didn't want to take a chance on the new diesels to get a new 2007 with the proven, reliable diesel engines. It still comes with the new 5yr power train warranty and the 6 sp. Allison transmission and everything.

I actually could have got the 'new' 2007 Silverado a lot faster than the 'classic' version I had to factory order back in September. But, like many others, I was very leery of the new emission systems and what effect they might have on overall performance as well as how many problems might arise given this was a brand-new technology not road-proven. I was just a lot more comfortable and confident with the proven track record of the Duramax diesel over the past 7 or 8 years it has been on the road - it's been excellent by all accounts.

I'm not that much mechanically inclined so I probably won't be looking at altering any 'chips' in my 6.6L Duramax. One concern I'd have is that it might void my 5yr power train warranty. This truck will have alll the power that I need for what I want to tow anyway. As for mileage, if that was my main concern, then I guess I should have kept my 2003 Honda Accord!:D :D

Rick

Matt Meiser
11-26-2006, 4:27 PM
Rick, check out http://www.pcmforless.com for computer mods. They reprogram the stock computer and claim GM won't know. I'm seriously thinking about it for my new Colorado. They do an exchange program or a loaner program. with prices of $99 and $150 respectively.