PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Bowl

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2006, 1:29 PM
This is my first ever cherry burl bowl. Picked up the burl while making maple syrup spring of 2005 and waited for the new Jet to arrive before turning anything from it.

First off – I want to apologize for the quality of the photo work. I figure I can take a snapshot with the best of them but have no idea how to eliminate shadows and best display a turning. Believe with everyone’s input I’ll learn.
50969 50970
Bowl is full of worm holes – most of which go completely through. Just about finished turning the inside when I discovered I had a passenger! :eek: Some kind of white cherry eating worm and was he ever dizzy!
50971 50972
Bowl is 6 ¾” x 2 3/16” x ¼”. Wanted to take it down to 3/16” but was a little leery that it would explode.

Critiques welcomed.

Tom Sherman
11-25-2006, 1:39 PM
Steve I think you did a very nice job there. Looks like a challenging piece for sure.

Mark Pruitt
11-25-2006, 2:09 PM
Excellent job on the bowl! As to the pics, I think you'd be happier with a different background. The background in the pics tends to distract.

Mark Cothren
11-25-2006, 2:48 PM
Great bowl, Steve!

Jeff Cybulski
11-25-2006, 5:06 PM
Nice work Steve

Corey Hallagan
11-25-2006, 5:34 PM
Nice looking piece! The worm holes add lots of character and a neat look. Finding creepy crawlies while turning gives me the willies! YUK!!

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2006, 5:48 PM
Beautiful job on the bowl Steve. Looks mighty fine.

Jim Ketron
11-25-2006, 6:25 PM
Nice Bowl Steve Looks Great!
I agree with Mark about the background, and I don't know if you are using the flash on the camera but some extra lights and no flash makes a huge difference in pictures of turnings.

Steve Schlumpf
11-25-2006, 8:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Mark & Jim - the background was an attempt to bounce some of the overhead lighting underneath the bowl and get rid of some of the shadow. Actually used a small piece of carpet pad and it worked a lot better than nothing at all. Tried photos with and without the flash and have to agree that the flash just washes everything out. Will play around with some other ideas and hopefully have something a little better next time. Would love to set up some form of photo booth but after just getting the new lathe - ah, it will have to wait.

John Miliunas
11-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey Steve, got some bad news for you, buddy: That thar bowl, well, she just ain't gonna' hold any soup, to speak of! :D (Yeah, one in every crowd, you know!) Great job and I certainly don't blame you for not taking it down further! Challenging piece, to say the least. Well done! :) :cool:

John Hart
11-26-2006, 7:34 AM
Nice looking piece! The worm holes add lots of character and a neat look. Finding creepy crawlies while turning gives me the willies! YUK!!

Corey

c'mon Corey...worm guts are half the experience!!!...the other half is cleaning them off of your faceshield!!!!:D

Nice looking bowl...er..strainer Steve. Very pretty!:)

Brian McInturff
11-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Can't worm your way out of this one:D . Just had to use that line. I've always loved cherry and that bowl is no exception. Great Job!