PDA

View Full Version : Messing around on the lathe one rainy day

Ed Marks
11-02-2003, 2:53 PM
So much for raking leaves :D

Did some messing around on the lathe and made this holiday ornament. The walnut globe is hallowed out to a thickness of about 3/16" so it does not weigh too much. The maple parts are just mortice/tenon jointed into the globe. It's not bad for a first shot but needs refinement. Thanks for looking.

Scott Greaves
11-02-2003, 4:17 PM
Hey Ed!

I think that is very cool looking! I am going to have to try some ornaments this week! Thanks for showing!

Scott.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-02-2003, 8:06 PM
Hi Ed,

Great work, I would love to know how to make these, I can figure out the tennoned parts, but I am not good on hollowing..

take care,
Jim

Glenn Hodges
11-02-2003, 8:15 PM
Good looking globe and icicle, puts me in the mood to make some. Thanks for showing yours. What kind of finish?

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-02-2003, 9:10 PM
Ed, if that is "messing around", I want to see ya get really serious about it! :D That is a beautiful ornament................I have my marching orders from the LOML to teach her how to do things like that on the Mini...........now if she would just take the time to turn maybe she would learn how. ;) Great work, thanks for sharing it with us!

Ed Marks
11-02-2003, 9:14 PM
Good looking globe and icicle, puts me in the mood to make some. Thanks for showing yours. What kind of finish?

Hi Glen,

Mylands friction polish or whatever they call that smelly yellow stuff in the rectangular bottle :) . I applied it as I went while the parts were still on the lathe. Did the globe first and then each part of the icicle working from bottom to top since I knew I would not be able to go back to the bottom once I got to the top. Figured it would be too thin.

Ed

Ed Marks
11-02-2003, 9:39 PM
Hi Ed,

Great work, I would love to know how to make these, I can figure out the tennoned parts, but I am not good on hollowing..

take care,
Jim

Hi Jim.

I'll shoot some pictures the next time I do a globe and mail them to you or post them if it will all fit. It's really not all that hard but a few pictures will save a few thousand words.

Ed