PDA

View Full Version : OT Project: Delicious Deck Demolition Demonstration

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Ok, corny title, but I thought you might enjoy a pictorial of the deck demolition I did earlier in the week. This multi-level deck needed to go as a portion of it lies right where the home addition will be going in a few months. I chose to do this work myself ("sweat equity" a la TOH) to save money...my only cost was the container rental and some stone.

And, like any pleasurable project...power tools were involved. The reciprocating saw saw some action as did my trusty old B&D circular saw from the late 1970s. Oh, and the big power tool...my Kubota diesel powered "crow bar". :D :D :D (Why do manual labor when hydraulics are available?? ;) )

So, without a lot of commentary, here's the start to "finish" demolition project. Started on Monday; 'had to stop early due to parent/teacher meetings mid-afternoon and stopped on Wednesday around lunch time when the rain arrived.

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Next set of pictures...

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Final set of pictures. The stone walkway will be the temporary path from the drive until the addition is built. And I could have used a slightly larger container...8 cu yd filled up before I ran out of material. Oh, well....

Peter Stahl
11-25-2006, 4:27 PM
That manual labor stuff is for the birds huh Jim. You're luck you had the tractor. How big of a addition you doing?

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 5:54 PM
How big of a addition you doing?
1850 sq ft. The current house is only 1900 sq feet, although it feels bigger because of the great room with the story and a half lofted design with barn beams. (pseudo timber frame construction...only the two lateral beams that act as collar ties are structural) There are some renderings and early plan cuts at my addition BLOG at http://toscax.us/blog/addition.htm in the plans area...which reminds me, I need to do an update.

Yes, I felt that the manual labor needed to be kept to a minimum. I'm still having problems with my right hand/wrist and for this kind of work, taking advantage of the 'hoe was nice. Avoiding the nails during disposal was fun, however! But the only "owie" I got was when the back side of my framing gun smacked me in the knee when I was putting up a small temporary railing just outside the door this afternoon...while the oldest was having a hissy-fit nearby.

Bruce Page
11-25-2006, 7:30 PM
That looks like fun, everyone should have a Kubota!

Doug Gilluley
11-25-2006, 8:08 PM
Don'tcha just love bustin' stuff up?:D

Doug

David Klug
11-25-2006, 8:54 PM
Final set of pictures. The stone walkway will be the temporary path from the drive until the addition is built. And I could have used a slightly larger container...8 cu yd filled up before I ran out of material. Oh, well....

Looks like a fun project Jim.

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Don'tcha just love bustin' stuff up?
There is, umm....a certain "therapeutic" value to demolition projects... LOL!!! :D

Jim Benante
11-26-2006, 12:35 AM
Jim- As you know I recently tore out a deck for an addition. I like your method much better than a gorilla bar and hammer. I still enjoyed the demo, but it would have been better with diesel fumes.

Basically you are doubling your house sqfootage. I'll have to check your blog for the details, but I know I'd add a pool table if I added that kind of space.

Mark Pruitt
11-26-2006, 8:30 AM
a Delightfully Dazzling Delicious Deck Demolition Demonstration Done Dandily! Dang!:p

Bill Lewis
11-27-2006, 6:20 AM
Jim,
I just looked at your plans and I have a comment.
Since the 1st floor BR is to be for guests I'd suggest tying this BR to the bath by adding a doorway between the BR and the bath. You can accomplish this by pushing out the bathroom door to be even with the closet wall (the one closest to the org. house). The new door swing would have to be in to the BR, and you'd have to sacrifice some wall space but it's a guest room after all.

just a thought...

John Hart
11-27-2006, 8:02 AM
Wow...what fun! Jim....you get to do all the cool stuff.:) I need a shovel like that. :(

John Miliunas
11-27-2006, 8:38 AM
I think any country property over 10 years old should come with one o' dem organge things as "standard equipment"!!! :D Looks like there were some fun moments to go along with that job. :) :cool:

John Hart
11-27-2006, 7:06 PM
I think any country property over 10 years old should come with one o' dem organge things as "standard equipment"!!! :D Looks like there were some fun moments to go along with that job. :) :cool:

There's a Kubota dealer less than 4 minutes from me. Everytime I drive by, I wanna hit the brakes.:)

Jim Becker
11-27-2006, 8:13 PM
There's a Kubota dealer less than 4 minutes from me. Everytime I drive by, I wanna hit the brakes.
Each one of those occasions is something like Abbyseration...you WILL be assimilated!! Think of it as an investment...unlike a typical lawn tractor, these things, if maintained, will be running somewhat like new when you pass down the property to your kids. And you DO now have the land to justify it! Of course, you could just get a couple of draft horses like the neighbors...they last nearly as long and you don't have to go too far for fuel. :D

John Hart
11-27-2006, 8:34 PM
Of course, you could just get a couple of draft horses like the neighbors...they last nearly as long and you don't have to go too far for fuel. :D

Yep...just the other day, I was thinkin' 'bout talkin' to Brother John Yoder about buying a couple of Belgians. Beautiful animals....but they can't dig a pond...so it just ain't gonna work out. I guess the Kubota is all that'll do. I probably won't have to clean the Kubota's stall everyday either! ;) :)

Charles McKinley
11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
You only have to feed the Kubota when you use it!

Jim do you have pallet forks? If you have a quick attach bucket they are a great add on and aren't that expensive.

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Charles, I don't currently have forks and the bucket on the BX is not quick attach. That can be had for the larger machines, however. For a short time, there was an outfit making a quick attach system for the BX, but apparently they didn't get much action and pulled it. I can understand that...most BX machines are sold to home owners and very small estates. Unlike the more, umm...exhuberent users like myself, Matt and Keith...they pretty much stick with the basics. That said, I do want forks for light lifting or at least to extend the bucket bottom for more stable lifting. I also still need to buy a toothbar for the bucket to aid in "serious" digging. Right now, I use the hoe to break things up and then scoop with the bucket to remove volume.

Good point on the "feeding"...

Ed Breen
11-28-2006, 5:25 PM
Jim,
One additional point which may help after all those nails on the ground. I had some trouble on my K with the front wheels picking up pointy things. Went to WM and got a few bottles of "slime". Worked like a charm and no more deflation./ Ran into a guy at the tractor store who said he had used a gallon on his rear tire with excellent results. Also used slime on my 4 wheeler and trailer tire.
Ed

Jim Becker
11-28-2006, 6:29 PM
Fortunately, Ed...I didn't end up with much of a nail problem. 99%+ of them are still in the boards that headed to the landfill. A very few from the hangers came out and most of those I found. That said, I've heard good things about the "slime" and will have to check it out further.