PDA

View Full Version : Maple and walnut dresser

John Preston
11-02-2003, 1:12 PM
This is the piece of furniture I'm most proud of, and it is the one that has gotten the least reaction from family and people that I have shown it to.

Drawer frames are dovetailed into the carcass, drawers are dovetailed (machine) finish is BLO and OBpoly on the walnut, WB poly on the maple. Drawer bottoms are aromatic cedar, drawer sides are oak with oak runners. One knot hole on the top is epoxied with black epoxy.

Design is from scratch. Outer dimensions are from restoration hardware mule chest.

Is it really that lame? Do people just not understand what goes into it? Or are they too insensitized by what else they've seen me make? Or am I just being too sensitive?

Bob Lasley
11-02-2003, 1:27 PM
John,

I think you need to find new family and friends, because that piece is beautiful and well crafted. Maybe your other pieces are just too gorgeous!! People who aren't woodworkers often don't appreciate fine joinery because they don't realize the time and skill involved to create it.

You have done yourself proud. Now, let's see some more!

Bob

Joe Tonich
11-02-2003, 1:30 PM
This is the piece of furniture I'm most proud of, and it is the one that has gotten the least reaction from family and people that I have shown it to.

Is it really that lame? Do people just not understand what goes into it? Or are they too insensitized by what else they've seen me make? Or am I just being too sensitive?

LAME???? Heck no! That is a NICE piece of furniture. I don't think people really know what goes into making a chest of drawers like that. Between the knowledge and the skill that goes into it, I'm still amazed when I look at the finished product! Maybe my skills will improve enough to try to tackle a project like that one. Right now I don't think I would attempt it. I wouldn't worry about peoples reactions, your work speaks for itself! :)

Joe

John Christiansen
11-02-2003, 1:32 PM

Drawer frames are dovetailed into the carcass, drawers are dovetailed (machine) finish is BLO and OBpoly on the walnut, WB poly on the maple. Drawer bottoms are aromatic cedar, drawer sides are oak with oak runners. One knot hole on the top is epoxied with black epoxy.

Design is from scratch. Outer dimensions are from restoration hardware mule chest.

Well, I certainly am impressed.

I have noticed the same reaction at home myself. The pieces that I put the most effort into and am the proudest of, seem to go unoticed, while the simple pieces get the ooh's and aah's :confused:

Very nice looking piece, John.

Glenn Clabo
11-02-2003, 1:57 PM
John,
Sometimes hard work is taken for granted. Many times I've had to make something I've done just mine...

But I have to tell you...this is something to be VERY proud of. It's one nice piece of work.

Bob Boake
11-02-2003, 1:59 PM
you take a chance on any original design. Many people cannot appreciate mixing wood specis or an unusual selection of drawer hardware. While they like the execution, they may not be fond of the design. While some people marvel at a piece that looks "just like it came from the store", I make what I want. The down side of that is that sometimes I'm the only one that appreciates it.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-02-2003, 2:05 PM

John, if THAT is lame, then I have some nice Swamp Ground I will sell your relatives! :D I think that is one very beautiful piece of furniture. The wood selection, IMO, is absolutely stunning. Not to mention the joinery and finish, which are top shelf as well. I like the look of contrasting wood species, and I think it works well in this piece. Actually, I wouldn't change a thing about it............I would be proud to have it in my home...........and for the life of me, I can't imagine who wouldn't. Sometimes people have trouble thinking "Outside the Box", and I think outside the box is what seperates good Woodworking from GREAT Woodworking. Translation: I BE LIKIN' IT! Keep up the fine work, and thanks for sharing this beautiful work with us. :D

Kirk (KC) Constable
11-02-2003, 2:12 PM
People are weird...ya never know what they'll think. It's nice to hear the family say nice things about something, but it means more to me when another woodworker comments...because they know what went into it.

So from another woodworker...nice work. :)

KC

Todd Burch
11-02-2003, 2:49 PM
John, John, John. Don't be disheartened. Lot's of famous painters weren't until they died! (DON'T DIE YET!!)

I like it, and from how you describe it, it appears to be built very well. Family members can be your worst critics. They're not only judging the piece, but you too!

Keep cranking them out! Todd.

Ed Marks
11-02-2003, 3:51 PM
It is a really weird feeling to see someone have a underwhelming reaction to something you feel a lot differently about. Clearly you have a well executed and nicely proportioned chest of drawers there. In fact, there must be a ton of storage in there; much more then many other chests I've seen. I like it. Don't be discouraged.

Sometimes you do need to step back and figure out why people are reacting the way they are and put the lessons learned away for future peices. It helps to forget you're a woodworker when you do that. You'll admire the construction, jointery, finish, etc. Most people don't. They're more interested in how it will look in a room, whether it will store all the stuff it needs to hold, how it matches other furniture, whether it's their style, ..... I've been known to ask non-woodworker freinds/family to give me a honest opinion of a peice with no holds barred and no hard feelings afterwards. I think it's helped me a lot to have these little critiques.

mike malone
11-02-2003, 4:11 PM
[QUOTE=John Preston]This is the piece of furniture I'm most proud of, and it is the one that has gotten the least reaction from family and people that I have shown it to. QUOTE]

John
I think your family blows!!
This is a nicely crafted piece...maybe you should stuff the drawers with cash and they'll have new take on it.
Move...and take the dresser with you.
regards
mike

Art Johnson
11-02-2003, 4:52 PM

Looks terrific to me.

Nice walnut, darker than most kiln dryed you find these days. Makes a perfect contrast to the maple.

Nice work.

Art

Ace Karner
11-02-2003, 6:15 PM
You can park that "Un-impressive" piece of furniture in my house anytime ya'd like to.

I think it is beautiful, love the choice of primary and secondary woods and how can ya fault the joinery.

Let the un initiated enjoy their veneered particle board, we woodworkers seem to think well of your work.

Steve Clardy
11-02-2003, 7:24 PM
Thats one fine lloking dresser. I like the color contrast. Great outstanding work.
I made a cherry and walnut sewing table for my wife several years back. I got the same reaction from my sons. They did not like the color changes, but I did. Steve

Brad Hammond
11-02-2003, 7:38 PM
I like it alot!! the cedar drawer bottoms are an excellent touch!

great work

brad

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
11-02-2003, 8:04 PM
Hi John,

Nice work ...I oove the idea of cedar drawer bottoms, well done!

Take care,
Jim

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
11-02-2003, 8:11 PM
Chalk me up as another who really likes the piece. You did a great job and I am sure that the more time passes the more your family will come to appreciate the really good looks of the dresser.

Jim Becker
11-02-2003, 9:17 PM
{insert favorite adjective here} AWESEOME! Like someone said, you need a new family that appreciates art... :D

John Piwaron
11-02-2003, 9:28 PM

Is it really that lame? Do people just not understand what goes into it?

This a great piece.

I'm very familiar with others not being impressed or caring very much about the careful attention to detail put into work like this. Dovetails, M&T, finger joints, ect. It's lost on most people.

Derek Stevens
11-29-2008, 2:53 PM
Great looking dresser John. I find that if the work we do looks effortless when delivered, it is often received with the " yeah, so?" attitude. The problem is being too damn good at what you do, and it shows in the work you posted. Try complaining more during the process...

John Thompson
11-29-2008, 5:34 PM
Very nice, John. And yes... I believe that most have no idea the detail work that goes into a piece and especially a chest with drawers.

Sarge..

Mike Heidrick
11-29-2008, 6:08 PM
I really love the way that dresser turned out. As a guy who is needing to make a dresser or three I can appreciate the piece!!

Brent Ring
11-29-2008, 9:37 PM
+ a bazillion who think that dresser is awesome! Oh how I wish I were that good!

Mark Stutz
11-30-2008, 7:31 PM
John,
This is a well executed design. I like contrasting woods, however I suspect the reaction is due to that very detail. Most people are not used to seeing contrasting species in a single piece, since they don't see it in the furniture stores. They have no idea that modern furniture gets most of its color from the various layers of toner and tinted finishes that are sprayed on to create the "cherry" and "mahogany" that they are used to seeing

Mark

Jim Becker
11-30-2008, 8:04 PM
Do note that this thread is from 2003... ;) But yes, it's a wonderful piece!

Vince Shriver
12-02-2008, 5:07 AM
Really an excellent chest of drawers. One question: why the two differrent pulls?

Kevin Jaynes
12-02-2008, 8:07 AM
It's splendid. We should all be such "lame" woodworkers. I don't understand how your family and friends could not appreciate that. I bet they do more than you perceive. It's really very nice, and that is clear for anyone to see.

Brian Effinger
12-02-2008, 9:27 AM
And the original poster hasn't been an active member here since June of 2005.

Pietro Raimondi
12-08-2008, 11:22 PM
The combination of the darker walnut frame really sets off the maple drawer fronts; I'm definately a fan.

Also given the simplicity of the "shaker type design"; the selection of drawer front hardware pulls can really influence the overall design aesthetic from either modern to transitional, shaker etc.

Don Bullock
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM

Thanks for pointing that out Jim.

It's great when posts like this resurface for those of us who are fairly new to Sawmill Creek. I get very inspired by a lot of the work that I see posted on this site.

To the OP all I can say is to forget the relatives reactions. That's a very well done piece. I love the contrast in wood choice.

Zahid Naqvi
12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
John, appreciation depends on the audience. When woodworkers look at furniture we look at joinery and difficult to exeute design elements. A casual observer goes for the visual impact first. I have made some small boxes that I really like because they contain handcut finger joints in lacewood. But I get most comments on a hall cabinet I made which has an Olive Ash veneer on the top. The top was the easiest part to make, the burl was already there all I had to do is glue it in place.
The way I look at it we have to balance both aspects of a project, unless you are making it for yourself. I think your chest is great, but I bet if you had chosen some kind of figured wood for the drawer fronts you would have gotten a lot of oohs! and aahs!

Jerry Olexa
12-09-2008, 2:16 PM
Very nice work....Looks good

Glenn Lewis
12-15-2008, 8:43 AM
in general, i love the contrast of light and dark woods, but my wife disagrees so i rarely get to employ that in my work. i plan to show her this post to convince her otherwise. that is a beautiful dresser and i don't see how she could possibly feel the same about light/dark after she sees it!