PDA

View Full Version : Wood haul

Sparky Paessler
11-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Well I finally with the help of some friends got all the wood I hauled home put away. I had a large white pine that was struck by lighting cut down a way back and had it cut up into lumber to use on the basement workshop remodel project that has been going on forever. I got about 1000' board feet out of the tree. Most of the boards are 15 1/4" wide and 14' long. They are now stacked up in the garage to dry. While at the sawmil I also spotted a stack of maple and oak and picked it up also. I didn't calcuate how many board feet of it I got but it is several hundred. A lot of those are also 15" wide. Total cost was under $300. One mishap did happen. On the last load home my trailer broke right at the pin that you pull to tilt it. Luckly I was going very slow and it just spun over into the curb. We unloaded it into a truck and I was able to patch it together and get it home. I will replace the broken channel and it will be OK. I'm going tomorrow to a friend's who has two 3' diameter walnut logs 14' long that I can have and a maple log. Don't know where I going to store it. Good thing he has a large trailer and a tractor. Now I guess I will have to start making things. Here are some Pic.

Art Mulder
11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
... I'm going tomorrow to a friend's who has two 3' diameter walnut logs 14' long that I can have and a maple log. Don't know where I going to store it. Good thing he has a large trailer and a tractor. Now I guess I will have to start making things.

Naaaaaah, remember, you've got a year to wait while it air dries. Unless you're hurrying it along a bit.

Nice score. What a huge pile 'o wood.

Michael Fross
11-24-2006, 10:48 PM
Naaaaaah, remember, you've got a year to wait while it air dries. Unless you're hurrying it along a bit.

Nice score. What a huge pile 'o wood.

Isn't it about a year an inch? Looks like Sparky has some 8/4 wood there, but it's a bit hard to tell.

Very nice haul. I may be green with envy, but I think the wood is even greener!

Michael

Jerry Olexa
11-24-2006, 10:49 PM
SPARKY,,,You're under arrest for robbery!!! GREAT HAUL!!! Plan a few projects and enjoy...

Sparky Paessler
11-24-2006, 11:08 PM
The 1" stuff that is upstairs in the garage will dry in about 6 months. The heat off the roof is enought to speed up the drying a little. The Oak and Maple (The 8/4 is maple) has been drying at the mill for 8 or 9 months already. I will get out and check it with the mositure meter before I use any of it. I still have about 200' of walnut that has been drying for 3 years now. It will probably take me a year to get caught up to where I can use it anyway. My sawer is in his late 60's and only has been charging me .50 a board foot if they are his logs and $125 a thousand if I provide the logs. He has a big bandsaw mill that does an great job and is a tree cutter for a living so he comes across a lot of large trees.

Allen Bookout
11-24-2006, 11:19 PM
You are one lucky guy to have a resource like that.

Well maybe I am the lucky one. I do not have to have a trailer. For $300 worth of wood around here I can just put it over my sholder and walk home.

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Congrats on the nice wood haul!

Sparky, you need to insure air movement for that wood to dry properly. It's not just about temperature. Consider a fan that blows through the stack... ;)

Sparky Paessler
11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Jim

Thanks for the suggestion but if you saw my old garage you would know that that is not a problem. It has lots of air flow at this point. There is a large opening down into the lower section which is open to the outside and the windows at each end leak like crazy. I have sucessfully dried a large amount of oak and walnut in it and have not had any poblems with spliting or caseharding. It doesn't get really hot in there just a little above the outside. Seems to work well! Well I'm off to see those walnut logs. I will try to get pictures.