PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Beale Carter
11-24-2006, 7:37 PM
I just stumbled onto this site a day or 2 ago. Looks to be a very nice site. I am interested in learning some good woodworking skills and ideas. I really have not done any "real" woodworking, just basic handyman stuff.

I do have some basic tools. Skillsaw, compound power miter saw, router, jigsaw, scrollsaw, sanders. I am looking for ideas on my next tool purchase and hoping to get some ideas on how to go about getting started in woodworking.

Thank you in advance, Beale Carter.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-24-2006, 7:38 PM
Beale..........Welcome to the Creek! Wade right in the water's fine!

John Bailey
11-24-2006, 8:11 PM
Beale,

Welcome to the Creek. If you're looking for good information, you've found the right spot. Don't be afraid to give us some of your thoughts also. That's what makes the Creek great, contributions from all.

John

Fred Voorhees
11-24-2006, 8:14 PM
Welcome Beale. You have found a great place to hang out often. It is both informative and freindly. You'll like it here. My opinion, your next three purchases should be a tablesaw, jointer and planer.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-24-2006, 8:24 PM
Welcome Beale. Fred's right on with his first suggestion, the table saw. Jointer & planer, yes, but also consider a bandsaw. I might even put that ahead of the other two. Guess it depends on what type of projects you do. As far as getting started, I'm not that far ahead of you. I would say to read lot of books and magazines. Visit the Creek and other woodworking forums. Take a class or two. And, don't be afraid to make mistakes. You will. That's how you learn.

Oh, another thing, MAKE SAFETY YOUR #1 PRIORITY. Learn the dangers of these tools and don't work when tired or angry. You'll sour on this hobby real quick if you lose a finger. Or worse.

Jim Becker
11-24-2006, 8:27 PM
Welcome to SMC, Beale! I look forward to your questions and your projects!

Allen Bookout
11-24-2006, 8:47 PM
Welcome Beale!

I find that the best "tool" for woodworking is a good credit card. But that is only true if you can pay off the balance every month.

Number one tool in my workshop is my cabinet saw. I agree with Fred. Tablesaw or cabinet saw, jointer, planer and then bandsaw. However, as mentioned earlier, this may vary by user. Buy the best that you can afford. If you do these tools will last you for many years (I have a few that are over thirty years old) and if you want to upgrade you can sell them for a reasonable amount and apply that to your upgrade. If you buy junk it makes it much harder to accomplish good work and you cannot get anything for it if you want or need to sell. Sometimes you can get some really good deals buying preowned. I would rather buy a good preowned than a lesser machine new.

I see that you have enough tools to see that you must enjoy woodworking. That being the case, you are going to like it here.

Allen

Charles McKinley
11-24-2006, 11:57 PM
Hi Beale,

Welcome to the Creek.

If you get a plane or a lathe you will have no need for that table saw.

Once you start down the slippery slope you will have no need for a TS other that a sturdy but hard on blades bench of if sucked into the vortex it just becomes a place to put big bowl blanks and dry bowls. :)

Seriously though a nice block plane is good to have. As far as what you need depends on what you want to do. Purchase things to fill a need or you will have stuff lying around that you paid for but never use. In woodworking there are several ways to do almost anything, so don't put something off just because you don't have gizmo X yet.

I look forward to your thought and ideas. Let us know what you want to do and we will gladly tell you haw to spend your money! :D

Beale Carter
11-25-2006, 6:56 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Seems like a very nice site. I have been doing a fair amount of reading of old posts. I had thought about the table saw myself. Right now I am limited somewhat due to space in my shop. I saw the suggestion of locking casters on tools. I like this idea very much.

If I do decide to go with a table saw I will let you folks know first. For now I will keep reading old posts and ask questions. One of the questions is a good source of plans. I do better with detailed plans and drawings. Any recomendations on a good source would be nice. Another is good books/magazines. Which ones do you folks like?

We do have a good techinical school near us that I can take classes at. I will look into this also.

Thanks again for the ideas and help, Beale Carter.