PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Atlanta WW Show Saturday??

Ken Salisbury
02-25-2003, 9:16 PM
Who will be going to the WW Show in Atlanta on Saturday - Maybe we can hook-up.

Ken Wright
02-25-2003, 9:27 PM
Are you aware of the Pond gathering Saturday at noon at Mike Johnson's?? If not, let me know and I'll email the info and Mike's email for you.

Ken Salisbury
02-25-2003, 9:29 PM
Originally posted by Ken Wright
Are you aware of the Pond gathering Saturday at noon at Mike Johnson's?? If not, let me know and I'll email the info and Mike's email for you.

Yes Ken -- I will be there and go to the show after lunch with you guys.

Ken Wright
02-25-2003, 9:44 PM
It'll be a pleasure to finally get to meet the infamous Mr. Salisbury!!!

Harvey Meyer
02-26-2003, 9:53 AM
I may go to the show in the AM and then to Mike's for lunch at noon. I'll definitely be at Mike's house. If I don't make it to the show in the AM, then I'll go after we leave Mike's.

Harvey

Jim Fuller
02-26-2003, 10:43 AM
I didn't think about going to the show first then to Mike's, I had planned to go to lunch then to the show. Will the show, be large enough to go both morning and evening? :)

Ken Salisbury
02-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Jim Fuller
I didn't think about going to the show first then to Mike's, I had planned to go to lunch then to the show. Will the show, be large enough to go both morning and evening? :)
Jim,
I don't really know --- like I said I am going to Mikes first for lunch and then to the show.

Jim Fuller
02-26-2003, 11:04 AM
Do you take from Huntsville to Atlanta?

Ken Salisbury
02-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Jim Fuller
Do you take from Huntsville to Atlanta?
Some times I take the short route through Scottsboro, Ft Payne, Rome, etc. (185 miles). Other times I go through Chattanooga (215 miles) which is all either 4 lane or Interstate. Since I will be traveling on Saturday it probably will be quicker going the long route. Don't know for sure yet. I guess whatever cranks my tractor once I get in the truck

Harvey Meyer
02-26-2003, 12:08 PM
The WW show is always very crowded. Sometimes it's so crowded you can't get close enough to anything to see what's going on. There is usually a long line just to buy the entry ticket. I've waited almost an hour in the past - just to get in. I have heard that the crowds are a bit thinner in the latter part of the day and also thinner on Sunday. So just be prepared.

Harvey

Robert Simmons
02-26-2003, 1:34 PM
I'll see you folks at Mike's for lunch. The line to get into the show on Sat can be a long one, so I'm thinking about doing the show on Friday instead. I live close enough to where it's not a big deal to go out there. Now all I have to do is manage to get Friday off. That'll be fun.....
Robert

Harvey Meyer
02-26-2003, 3:32 PM
Originally posted by Robert Simmons
so I'm thinking about doing the show on Friday instead. I live close enough to where it's not a big deal to go out there. Now all I have to do is manage to get Friday off. That'll be fun.....
Robert

I've always gone to the show on Fridays and the crowd is just as bad as Saturday.

Harvey

Randy Coggin
02-26-2003, 5:56 PM
Weather supposed to be bad Saturday. Maybe that will help with crowds?

John Longwitz
02-26-2003, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by Ken Salisbury
Who will be going to the WW Show in Atlanta on Saturday - Maybe we can hook-up.

I'll look forward to seeing you at Mike's Ken. I also plan to go to the show in the afternoon.

Randy Coggin
02-26-2003, 9:02 PM
Y'all may already know but on the ww show's website, there is a $1 off admission coupon. The address is www.thewoodworkingshows.com/atlanta You can print it out. There is also a list of demos and seminars along with directions
HTH
Randy

Mike Johnson
02-27-2003, 7:50 AM
For those of you planning to attend the show on Friday, I suggest avoiding going in or out from 5-9PM. There is a Bruce Springstein concert at the new Gwinnett Arena that is right next door to the show site. Traffic will be horrible!!

Stan Thigpen
02-27-2003, 8:19 AM
My wife and I have made this our annual spring-time pilgrimage for several years. There is enough to keep me occupied from Friday thru Sunday. She can't stand on her feet for long periods of time, so a few years ago she found a vacant chair at the table occupied by the Ga. Woodcarvers Assn. They were gracious enough to permit her to sit there and admire their work.

Her story goes like this: The first year she said "Wow, that looks great!" The next year she sat with the carvers again. She said "Gee, that looks like fun. I wish I could do that." The following year when she took her usual place with the woodcarvers she said "I'll bet I can do that!" So with a little guidance from the woodcarvers she purchased a knife and ,two or three carving gouges, picked up a scrap of basswood and went to whittling. Well, lo and behold, she has quite a knack for carving. She had joined a local B'ham woodcarvers' club, exhibited in shows and carries her carving with her whereever she goes. She carves during our grandchildrens' basketball games, she carves when we visit friends, she would carve in church if the choir director would let her. Her tool investment boggles the mind! It takes a roll-around American Tourister case to carry them from place to place. Needless to say, she will be found at the Ga. woodcarvers' table this weekend. I shall be roaming the rest of the exhibits.:D

Ken Salisbury
02-27-2003, 8:26 AM
I will try to look you guys up.

Stan Thigpen
02-27-2003, 8:26 AM
My wife and I have made this our annual spring-time pilgrimage for several years. There is enough to keep me occupied from Friday thru Sunday. She can't stand on her feet for long periods of time, so a few years ago she found a vacant chair at the table occupied by the Ga. Woodcarvers Assn. They were gracious enough to permit her to sit there and admire their work.

Her story goes like this: The first year she said "Wow, that looks great!" The next year she sat with the carvers again. She said "Gee, that looks like fun. I wish I could do that." The following year when she took her usual place with the woodcarvers she said "I'll bet I can do that!" So with a little guidance from the woodcarvers she purchased a knife and ,two or three carving gouges, picked up a scrap of basswood and went to whittling. Well, lo and behold, she has quite a knack for carving. She had joined a local B'ham woodcarvers' club, exhibited in shows and carries her carving with her whereever she goes. She carves during our grandchildrens' basketball games, she carves when we visit friends, she would carve in church if the choir director would let her. Her tool investment boggles the mind! It takes a roll-around American Tourister case to carry them from place to place. Needless to say, she will be found at the Ga. woodcarvers' table this weekend. I shall be roaming the rest of the exhibits.:D

Ken Wright
02-27-2003, 9:00 AM
I think that's great!!! I want to learn to carve as soon as I conquer a straight line on the TS. So, I'm years away from that transition.

Mark Kauder
02-27-2003, 9:46 AM
See ya all there. Will have my Ponder hat on. Plan to get there first thing in the morning, got to Mike's for lunch and then back again in the afternoon.

Mark

Jeff Bishop
02-28-2003, 1:33 AM
I was thinking about going Friday but with The Boss in town it doesn't look like a very good idea. But , with lunch at Mike's on Saturday and the fact that I really want to meet some of you guys, it looks like I may just have to go on Saturday. LOML said that I should go out for some male bonding type stuff. Could someone send me the directions to Mike's.
Thanks,

Mark Kauder
02-28-2003, 8:40 AM
At the risk of all of Atlata showing up at Mike's house, this is what he sent out to those that said they ere going.

"How to get to my house:

From I-85 take Exit 108 (Sugarloaf Parkway). From either the North or the
South, turn right to go west on Sugarloaf.

Go 0.4 miles and you will see the Gwinnett Civic Center on the left. That
is the site for the Woodworking Show. Go another 1.6 miles west on
Sugarloaf and turn right into a subdivision called "Stonebrier at
Sugarloaf".

Take the first left (between the Clubhouse and the Sales Office), go 1 block
and take the first right on Isleworth Trace. We are on the right, at 3214
Isleworth. The phone number is 770-232-4571.

I will have the food ready at 12 Noon - come hungry!"

Mark

scott bonder
02-28-2003, 9:26 AM
i had not heard about lunch. I am supposed to spend a good part of the day with my brother building a "fort" for my nephew, but he lives in Lawrenceville. If the lunch is close by and if I am invited, I might be able to drop by. I don't know any details though.

Ken Salisbury
02-28-2003, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by scott bonder
i had not heard about lunch. I am supposed to spend a good part of the day with my brother building a "fort" for my nephew, but he lives in Lawrenceville. If the lunch is close by and if I am invited, I might be able to drop by. I don't know any details though.
Scott ---- I am sure Mike would love to have you there -- as would I --- hope you can make it.

Mark Kauder
02-28-2003, 11:39 AM
BTW - I got a mailer from Highland Hardware about their 25th Anniversary Sale (25% off) 8:30am-6pm tomorrow. I called them, and they are NOT participating in the WW show this weekend.

Now, I gotta try and hit HH in the morning and then get to the WW show.

Mark

Harvey Meyer
02-28-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Mark Kauder
BTW - I got a mailer from Highland Hardware about their 25th Anniversary Sale (25% off) 8:30am-6pm tomorrow. I called them, and they are NOT participating in the WW show this weekend.

Now, I gotta try and hit HH in the morning and then get to the WW show.

Mark

Mark - That couldn't possibly be 25% off everything - could it? I might just have to make a morning run there prior to heading to Mike's house.

Harvey

Mark Kauder
02-28-2003, 12:50 PM
I don't remember how they worded it, but No, it was something like 25% off most items.

Mark

Harvey Meyer
02-28-2003, 1:00 PM
I sent you a private message about this, so you can ignore it. I'll look for you at HH in the AM.

Harvey

Mark Kauder
02-28-2003, 1:52 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I hope to be there between 8:30 & 9:00.
Don't want to spend too much time or $$ there, since IMHO 25% off their normal price puts them in the mail order range anyway. Will then try to get to WW show soon after they open.

See you there.

Mark:cool:

Bartee Lamar
02-28-2003, 3:21 PM
Nothing like the telephone.

Not everything is on sale. The sales guy will not have the list until in the morning. He said theywill have " a lot of stuff" on sales at 25% and 10% off. I specifically asked about a workbench vise and he did not think they would be on sale.

He said there specific purpose was NOT to be at the WW show but offer this good sale instead.

So like was said already... there discounted prices just gets them to mail order...

See y'all at the WW Show !!

Stan Thigpen
03-03-2003, 7:29 AM
Wasn't that flyer for 10% off? I seem to remember that is what mine said.

Ken Salisbury
03-03-2003, 7:38 AM
Originally posted by Stan Thigpen
Wasn't that flyer for 10% off? I seem to remember that is what mine said.

Stan -- Sorry I missed you at the show. I did get to speak to your lovely wife at the carving booth though.

scott bonder
03-03-2003, 9:21 AM
Sorry I missed everything, including lunch. I did make it to HH for about 10 minutes and ran into Mark there. (well, he ran into me really). I was still, at that point, planning on lunch. But, the pregnant wife got a hold of those plans and that was the end of that.