PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID

Jim King
11-24-2006, 3:53 PM
I received this letter this morning and thought it might be interesting for people to see a bit of daily life in the tree ID work. This is from our scientist Mihaly Czako at the U os SC that works with us. If you google his name you can read more than you want about him. The ID of tropical species in my opinion will take hundreds of years more and then there will be hundreds of additional new species created. It is a never ending situation. Attached is a photo of him in public transport going to the jungle one morning.
Mercedes & Jim,Indicentally I called you about tigre. I have received more papers on the flora of Jenaro Herrera with lists of common names and then I revisited the tigre caspi question. In fact, I secured a dozen good papers of a series published by the Swiss botanical group who worked there. I am not basing my determination on vernacular names but they are helpful. The Swiss authors mention that about 10% of the species appear to be undescribed in lowland Amazonia.I have collected two different species of tigre caspi but it was not obvious to me until I got back to the laboratorio. One of them from the vicinity of Libertad is Zygia latifolia, another one from the Itaya is, tentatively, very likely, Zygia cataractae. I cannot rule out Zygia macbridii without getting a chance to use the microscope with the leaves. TIGRE IS NOT marblewood. In my previous list I thought we had Zygia inaequalis but now I know that is was false. I arrived at Zygia inaequalis based on the list for flora of Allpahuayo. That list, I know now, is based on a very small area where the vegetation was not like near Libertad. I have found more descriptions of Z. inaequalis, and tigre is clearly not tigre caspi.I have learned also that marblewood, as originally defined by botanists, exists in Loreto, they first observed it in Jenaro Herrera. There are two other related species in the Iquitos flora. I have collected samples of two slender trees and even saplings; they may still be alive. Marblewood is a slender tree of higher grounds which are not subject to flooding while tigre dwells in the swamp by the river. Marblewood has a fine figure but it is probably not exploited because I always fing only slender trees. Pashaco is a local name for marblewood, but pashaco also is applied to giant trees with similar foliage; that is why there are so many pashaco varieties. Your people probably do not bother to bring you true marblewood because it is not large enough.I have commercial "marblewood" from supposedly Guyana and it is definitely different from tigre but it also is different from botanically true marblewood because I tested them by chemistry. So now you see how confusing it can get. I believe that several species of "marblewood/tigre" exist throughout the lowlands of South America and a significant portion of commercial marblewood is incorrectly identified. No doubt there is true marblewood on the market but at the moment I cannot swear which piece is correct. The evidence may already be in our hands however because I have collected two slender trees that may represent true marblewood. I need to examine leaves and the flowers which I fortunately have (from Gato's place) before I can pronounce that I have true marblewood (Marmaroxylon racemosum = Zygia racemosa).I will comment on the similarly confusing queenwood (Swartzia)in another email.Mihaly

Ernie Kuhn
11-27-2006, 1:28 AM
Jim,
I have a much deeper appreciation for the problems and work involved in identifying wood species because of your post. And, don't think I will complain as often or noisily as I have about my 10 year old Dodge Intrepid after seeing the "special" transportation your scientist has to use.
Again, thank you for your post, most educational.
Ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Thanks Jim, I, too, appreciate the information you offer as well as what you have to go through, to identify, catalog, and harvest our wood. BTW how did you ever come up with the name "Dalmation" for wood?

Bruce

Chris Barton
11-28-2006, 7:05 AM
Nice post Jim! I recently turned a HF from tiger caspi (purchased blank from Rockler so, maybe a JK product?) and really liked the finished product. I also did a bowl in Chechen, can you tell us more about both of these woods?

Jim King
11-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Bruce: The Dalmatian wood came into us without even a local name so we took it upon ourselves over a bottle of rum to name it. As it many times has spots and we have a Dalmatian street dog the decision was easy.

Chris: The Tigre Caspi at Rockler did indeed come from us. We are now discovering that what we call Tigre Caspi has many similar species and cousins. They look almost alike but when studied are different species. I would assume as in many other cases we will end up with a dozen or so species that look basically the same. We do have one customer in the States selling our Tigre as Marbelwood and I wish he wouldnt but there is no way to control it.