PDA

View Full Version : Will Talon chuck work with Mc Naughton centersaver system?

Mike Vickery
11-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I have been considering getting the Mc Naughton Center saver system and had a question. I got my chuck when I only had a mini so I bought the Oneway Talon chuck. I am wondering if I can get away with using the center saver with the Talon and the #3 jaws (2 7/8 to 4 5/8 spigot capacity) or the #3 towers jaws ( 3 3/8 to 4 1/2 spigot capacity). Or should I really upgrade the chuck to a Stronghold or Titan before getting the coring system?

If the answer is yes would you go with the #3 tower jaws or regular #3?

This question applies to coring bowls 16 inches and under.

Dario Octaviano
11-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I would like to know the answer too.

I imagine Talon will work though.

Bill Boehme
11-24-2006, 12:38 PM
The Talon chuck will work just fine and you do not need to get the #3 jaws -- the #2 jaws will work unless you are turning something really huge.

Bill

Jim Ketron
11-24-2006, 7:22 PM
Use My Talon all the time for the McNaugton I use the #3 if possible, but I have used the #2's. Depends on how big or deep the coring is.

Mike Vickery
11-24-2006, 7:36 PM
Thanks guys.
For others that are interested I e-mail Bill Grumbine and he told me he uses the talon with his McNaughton as well.
I pulled the trigger and ordered the McNaughton stardard today after I talked to Bill.

Jim Becker
11-24-2006, 9:36 PM
Talon is fine for stuff up to a reasonable size, but for coring I'd also recommend the #3 jaws so you can use a larger tenon to properly support the workpiece. Although I also upgraded my lathe a couple years ago (from a 10" swing OneWay 1018 to a Stubby 750), I still use my Talon. I would only buy another chuck (likely a Stonghold) for really big things should I ever start turning them and still use the Talon for everything else since I have several jaw sets.

Reed Gray
11-24-2006, 10:14 PM
I would consider 2 7/8 inch tenon a bit small for a 16 inch bowl, but a 2 5/8 inch recess by 3/16 deep is fine with my big Vicmark. I like the recess better and did very little with the tenons. For the best hold, the tenon or recess has to fit the jaws very closely, tenon slightly largerdiameter (I don't really know how much), and recess slightly larger (1/16 inch). You can cut a recess in the top of the bowl for turning the bottom and for remounting each core. No need for a face plate and you don't have to remove the chuck. A forstner bit works fine to cut the recess, and for big blanks, I will some times put the blank on the bench, and insert the chuce there, then mount the whole thing on the lathe. Now that I am used to it, I usually can armstrong it while the chuck is on the lathe.
robo hippy

Jim Becker
11-25-2006, 10:36 AM
A tenon (compression) will almost always be more secure than a recess (tension), especially in bowl forms and with a proper shoulder. Recess is best with platters that have a lot of wood that surrounds the recess for support. BTW, the type of chuck/jaws dictate the format of the recess. OneWay's jaws are fine with a straight recess, but other chucks require a precisely angled recess for the jaws to hold securely.