PDA

View Full Version : Pony question?

Kristian Wild
11-24-2006, 10:41 AM
Good, I got your attention. You thought I was talking about pony bar clamps didn't you? Well I'm not. I talking about why you havn't ponied-up the bankruptcy-inducing sum of six bucks for a year of SMC.

If you're one of the few who have contributed, thank you. Please don't feel you need to respond. What I want is all the explanations from people who can easily afford to help out but havn't. Especially the ones who are so vocally opposed to having advertising on here. Bring it on. Shoot me down. There's only a week left to this little fund drive so what do I have to loose?

How much do you spend on woodworking magazines? Five or six bucks an issue? Can you ask the authors, editors and your fellow readers questions and get multiple responses within a few hours? How much do you spend to drive to the local tool store or BORG just to ogle all the tools. Maybe make a small impulse purchase while you're there. Bet it cost you more than six bucks! Do you get more use out of it than this forum?

Maybe you should have a regular coffee once a month instead of a latte if you're having trouble coming up with all that extra cash. Or how about not super-sizing your Mc-combo today? Gosh the possibilities are endless...

While this may come across as slightly condecending to some of you, I felt that we needed a reality check of how much many of us take this for granted. I participated on here for over a year without making a donation. I feel bad about that so I've paid up and put a deposit on the future of SMC.

If you've managed to read this far without dismissing my rant and going back to something more interesting like the daily "Should I buy a 6" or 8" jointer?" then my goal has been met.

My apologies to the Moderators who have to decide what to do with rants like this. It is completely out of character for me. I'm just trying to stir the pot to keep something going that we obviously value greatly.

Bring on the criticism or send in your payment,

Kris

Mike Cutler
11-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Actually, I thought you were talking about a horse that stood less than 14 hands, a pony. I just came from the barn where I now have a 16 hand, 1100lb, Thoroughbred mud ball, with mud rasta locks for a mane.

Easy goes it though bro'. Last time we did this, all went well. Most people contributed considerably more than the min. I think I paid for myself and 15 friends last time, as did others.

Putting folks on the spot for $$$ is a tough row to hoe. I understand your sentiment though.

John Schreiber
11-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, I did pony up to support the board, but only to the tune of $10.00. I'm some combination of poor and cheap. I am a neander mostly due to my budget.

I recently purchased a borg-brand ryoba-style saw for $20 and felt guilty about it, but I don't have a band saw or any other stationary power tools and I needed to do some resawing for a Christmas gift I am making.

There are a lot of people who never buy a $4 coffee and read their woodworking magazines at the library. I love to work with wood. It is therapeutic and I get to make some nice things. This year, I am giving Christmas gifts which I made (just like when I was in 2nd grade) and the materials will cost as much as I would usually spend, but which will be much nicer than I can usually afford to give people.

I can understand that many people can not justify putting money out for something which they can get for free, even if is as something as good as Sawmill Creek.

I feel like the Creek is an open party and some people bring their instruments and play to entertain us all, others are able to provide a hog to roast, others are able to bring a covered dish, some stay late to clean up for the hosts. Others just bring their own silverware and I'm not going to judge any of them. That being said, I know the host won't have the party next year unless they get enough help this year.

Charles McKinley
11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Kris,

You expressed your self well.

I think it has more to do with the "Ask" or I should say the lack there of. I'm on almost every day and have not seen a direct post that said in the Header "Please donate $6 or more to Sawmill Creek." Fund raising is a very delicate issue and the wonderful staff here needs some help with it. I have seen the little note down in the sig lines and rants in the threads about limiting lurkers but have not seen a good thread explaining the fund drive and a FLAT OUT ASK FOR $6.

I will donate Today and send an email to Jackie as I have some background in fund raising. This is a great comunity and I believe with a little difference we can get the funds comming in.

Ben Grunow
11-24-2006, 3:14 PM
I think all will agree that $6 is not going to break any budget. It is more just an issue of laziness for me (office is on third floor and I always forget my wallet) but I will contribute before the drive ends. Even if I have to make PB&J for lunch for a day. I bet others are in the same boat.

Al Willits
11-24-2006, 4:05 PM
Why?? Hopefuly this weekend I'll get to it, by then I'll have the nerve to try and pry the check book from the Shebeasts claws and send my donation in....

Also, with a mind full of projects, I just keep forgetting....:o

Al

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-24-2006, 4:23 PM
I've been meaning to.

Call me a lazy deadbeat no good batsnoogy pile of pooh.
Or just call me Cliff. EventuallyI'll get around to it.

Kristian Wild
11-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Thank-you's to those who noticed this and decided to get on with it. Honestly it pains me to be so blunt with something like this. And by all means if you really can't afford to, that is totally legitimate. I have been at that point a couple of times in my life too.

If you have friends on here who you know well enough to give a hard time about not yet contributing, do so.

I understand SMC has been kept afloat in the past by several large donations by folks who can't or won't do that again.

Kris

Bob Childress
11-25-2006, 8:16 AM
I've been meaning to.

Call me a lazy deadbeat no good batsnoogy pile of pooh.
Or just call me Cliff. EventuallyI'll get around to it.

Okay, you're a lazy no good batsnoogy pile of pooh. :D What's a batsnoogy? :confused: I like it. :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-25-2006, 9:35 AM
Okay, you're a lazy no good batsnoogy pile of pooh. :D What's a batsnoogy? :confused: I like it. :)

Batsnoogy is snoogy from a bat.
At least that's what I tell my 3 year old grand daughter who loves the term. I'm sure it sounds scandalously funny to her.

glenn bradley
11-25-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm one of those weirdos that has his Xmas shopping done before Thanksgiving and his taxes in before March. I send contributions for myself and 3 others who might fail to get around to it . . . but I do that every year and am happy to.

The LOML is a procrastinator so I understand the malaise. Take 3 minutes and a 39 cent stamp, write a check and walk it to the mailbox right now. It'll give you a break from whatever you're doing and the exercise won't hurt anybody ;-)

everett lowell
11-25-2006, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the reminder,I'm mailing out a check as soon as I;m finished typing this!:rolleyes:

Charles McKinley
11-25-2006, 9:30 PM
Glenn, I Resemble That Remark!!!!! :)

Hey that was supposed to be in all kaps. :confused: