PDA

View Full Version : First Ever Segmented Vase !!!

Christopher Hunter
11-23-2006, 11:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I posted about a week ago on some questions about cutting segments,
Now that I finally got up the courage to try one I thought I post it and see what you thought....
I had a few loose joints and quite a bit of tear out on the inside but for my first project I don't think it went tooooo bad..
just finished tonight -- sanded to 600-- no finish yet...
I am planning on using either wipe on poly or tung oil ---
Comments wanted !!!!
Thanks again,
Chris

Christopher Hunter
11-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry I forgot -
the woods used are birch, maple, pine, and oak

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2006, 12:35 AM
Chris,

While I'm no expert, but to me, mixing in oak with 3 soft woods would make turning and finishing a real challenge as the oak with cut, sand, and finish very differently than the softer woods. On forms like this one? Remember the shape of a trumpet horn. This shape in your minds eye will assist you with a flowing curve from the top of the rim to the bottome of the form.
Overall, I think you did a very nice job on this one and the joints look like they all fit nicely. I like the piece and I hope you do this again and let's see your progress. Excellent work in my book.

Bernie Weishapl
11-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Excellent work. That is a beauty for your first one. I am like Dennis though and would not mix oak with the other soft woods. Makes finishing a pain. Keep'em coming.

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Chris, I think you did a good job for your first segmented vase. I do have to agree with both Dennis and Bernie about the mixing of the wood and would be a little concerned about how long your glue joints will hold up. Looking forward to your next segmented turning!

Richard Madison
11-24-2006, 9:37 PM
Chris,
Mostly agree w/ above, but depends upon which maple before you call it "soft". I can't see the joints well enough to comment, but if you can see that some are not good enough, then they aren't. Keep trying. As a famous person once said, practice makes "better". Mostly just a matter of trying harder and having the will to do the work.

And, if the piece is thin enough, and/or the joints are narrow enough, some (but not all) of the paranoia regarding mixing various woods and various mixed-grain-direction glue joints is irrelevant, as are some observations regarding "hard" wood. That's why we have HSS tools.

That said, it is a very nice first piece, Chris, and am confident you will be showing us some beautiful work in the future.