PDA

View Full Version : woodworks gloat

Tom Sweeney
11-01-2003, 10:09 PM
I went to the Woodworks 2003 show yesterday ostensably to help out at the Ellis Island Sawdust Cafe'. I've been getting a bit frustrated with my turning equipment lately. Since I took my lesson with Bill Grumbine (If you are a new or even intermediate turner near the SE PA /NJ area you really ought to do this) I've been happy with my turning skills - not that they couldn't be a lot better. But I'm being held back from improving by my equipment. I'm in desperate need of 2 things a scroll chuck & a tool grinding system. Seeing as how the budget is very tight right now I can't get both so I tried to figure out which one I needed more. The answer was the scroll chuck. So at the show I bought me a talon chuck for my lathe. I turned my first bowl with it today & man what an improvement over turning right from a 4" faceplate for the whole bowl.

The only problem is I really butchered my "good" bowl gouge while trying to put an edge on it towards the end of turning the bowl. Now I've got to either figure out how to swing a wolverine grinding system or find the time to make a shop made version. Of course then I'll need to figure out how to swing a real lathe, some better turning tools, a hollowing system, well you get the idea. But I really needed the chuck :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Nice score and great decision on the Talon Chuck Tom. I bought one on the reccomendation of several members here, and it has to be some of the best money you can spend on turning toys. It is super simple to use, it grips vice tight, and it is very solid. I really don't know how I would get along without it. I just bought a set of Cole Jaws that I am using with the Talon, and these are a great addition to an already good chuck. You will not be disappointed, and confidence in your Turning Tools leads to confidence in your turnings! Can't wait to see some photos of your efforts. :D

Timothy Cauthorn
11-02-2003, 7:18 PM
I too attended Woodworks 2003. I had a chance to catch one of Harry Memelink's Wood Turning Sessions. I even saw a bit of Jimmy Clewes work. Those guys turned some good work. The Chuck you got was recommended to me by A gentlemen demonstrating the Oneway chucks in the Delta booth at the Conference. Although I felt it a bit premature purchasing one at that time considering I am still waiting for delivery of a Jet 1442. But I think that's the one I may go with.
I'm also going to need a lesson or two. How might a person get in contact with Bill Grumbine. I live in Delaware but depending where in Pa he lives it might be worth the trip.

Thanks and
Happy Turning
Tim

Update
After Posting this I noticed Bill had a post about the Woodworking show too.
I can contact him through his Email.

Anthony Yakonick
11-02-2003, 8:40 PM
Hey Tom, I went for years without a system and the only reason I bought one is that I got lazy. If I can learn to grind anyone can. Good to meet you.

Anthony