PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's Intarsia

Joe Trotter
11-23-2006, 9:32 PM
My Dad passed away 5 years ago and I inherited his woodworking tools. Most of it is for making small projects since he did it all in a 8X10 shed. I am wanting to try my hand at this, anyone here enjoy making intasia?

Anyhow I wanted to share some of my favorite intarsia items he made for us. We have several.

Thanks, Joe

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5629duck_Small_.jpg

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5629horse_Small_.jpg

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5629buck_Small_.jpg

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/5629bear_Small_.jpg

Kristian Wild
11-23-2006, 9:49 PM
Those are beautiful! I've never done any intarsia but i'm intrigued by the effects. That would be really neat if you took on your father's hobby as your first step into woodworking.

Best of luck exploring this new activity!

Kris

Howie French
11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Those are really nice. While I have not tried Intarsia, I did purchase a book
after seeing some very nice pieces posted here. It is definitely on my list
of things to learn. Best of luck with this.

Howie

Robert E Lee
11-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Joe, your dad did some very good work.
Bob

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Beautiful work by your dad Joe!!!! I'm interested in learning this technique, so share as you learn so I can try it as well. :D

Barry Stratton
11-24-2006, 1:09 AM
Really pretty stuff your dad made!!! I drive a scroll saw occasionally, but haven't tried intarsia yet. PM coming your way.

Joe Trotter
11-24-2006, 1:11 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I know he would have been thrilled to have read this.

When he was 70 years old he helped my wife and I build our own house. It was quite the adventure for all of us, as not one of us had ever tried it.

Back then I was a tool and die maker and he would rib me for trying to frame walls within a .062. I would say it was easier that grinding steel too .0002 tolerances for machine tools :)

I miss him allot. He was a great guy. I guess Thanksgiving just has me reminiscing.

Joe

Mike Armstrong
11-24-2006, 2:07 AM
I saw my first intarsia piece about 4 yrs ago and have been fascinated with it since then. I've done a number of pieces, but not as much as I'd like - too many other woodworking interests. I started by doing patterns with a small number of pieces - a dozen or so - and then jumped into some complicated stuff. Look for my post a couple weeks ago in "Best way to bevel..." and see a project that's about 40" tall with almost 200 pieces.

If you're interested in doing some intarsia, I'll be glad to steer you toward some web sources for tips, techniques, equipment, books, etc.

Mike

Dick Rowe
11-24-2006, 4:19 AM
Your dad's work is great!

He must have been a fan of Judy Gale Roberts who is one of the recognized 'superstars' of the intarsia world. I have a friend who is really into intarsia and likes to use Ms. Roberts designs, and I recognize a couple of patterns your dad did as some he has built as well.

You really need to have patience, and an eye for wood, wood grain, color, attention to detail, etc. to do that stuff well (which is why I haven't tried it yet).

My dad works in stained glass, which I always thought required the same skills as intarsia, just using a different media.

Lou Morrissette
11-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Joe,

Your Dad did nice work. I enjoy intarsia very much and it's a great way to use smaller scrap wood around the shop. I agree that Judy Gale Roberts is probably the best known authority on modern intarsia. She has published a number of books and dvd's that are a big help on getting started in intarsia. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Lou

Joe Trotter
12-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Joe,

Your Dad did nice work. I enjoy intarsia very much and it's a great way to use smaller scrap wood around the shop. I agree that Judy Gale Roberts is probably the best known authority on modern intarsia. She has published a number of books and dvd's that are a big help on getting started in intarsia. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Lou

Thanks Lou,

When I did a search I found some of your work. It is very nice art.

I can only hope to be able to duplicate some of my Dad's efforts.

Joe

glenn bradley
12-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Your father had a gift. Those are very nice indeed. Like others I haven't done intarsia but am intrigued everytime I see a skilled example.