PDA

View Full Version : Fine tool journal

Dave Lehnert
11-23-2006, 7:36 PM
Kind of getting interested in hand tools. Is Fine Tool Journal worth the money? What kind of info will it give me? Any other magazines I should look into for Hand tools?

Roger Bell
11-23-2006, 8:56 PM
FTJ, IMO is a collector's magazine oriented towards collectors. A similar mag is put out by the Midwest Tool Collectors. Both have occasional articles of general interest. If you are "just getting interested" and perhaps would benefit from more basic descriptions and how-to's, Popular Woodworking has developed a pretty good HT focus, among its other offerings.

Paul Comi
12-01-2006, 3:23 AM
I don't subscribe to the journal but you can buy Lie Nielsen stuff on their website at a discount with free shipping last time I checked. I bought my rabbeting block plane and beading tool through them and they were brand new LN inventory. Now I just need more cash so I can pick up a whole line up of LN bench planes and retire my old Stanleys.

Jeff Craven
12-01-2006, 7:29 AM
I would recommend checking with your local library for a couple books:

Traditional woodworking handtools by Graham Blackburn
Classic handtools by Garret Hack

They provided tons of information to help me figure out what handtools can do, how to use them & what tools I would like to acquire.

Jim W. White
12-01-2006, 9:16 AM
This is a fine source of information (in my opinion) for hand tool work; but they do not offer "subscriptions" yet. You can order/backorder individual issues. Otherwise you have to wait for it to hit the news-stands every few months.

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/

Jim in Idaho

Ian Smith
12-01-2006, 3:02 PM
Based on the two editions of Woodworking Magazine that I own, I would have to agree with Jim's suggestion above. It has some very useful articles.

Jay Davidson
12-02-2006, 3:12 AM
Be sure to check out Fine Woodworking magazine also.

Dan Moening
12-02-2006, 10:47 AM
The best $12 you'll ever spend is a little green book entitled:

"Planecraft: Hand Planing by Modern Methods"
by C.W. Hampton & E. Clifford

It is an exact reprint of the original published in 1934. It covers everything from the history to sharpening and usage. Later chapters are dedicated to rabbeting, plowing, etc.

Rob Bodenschatz
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I would recommend checking with your local library for a couple books:

Traditional woodworking handtools by Graham Blackburn
Classic handtools by Garret Hack

They provided tons of information to help me figure out what handtools can do, how to use them & what tools I would like to acquire.
I'll second Classic Handtools. Get it with his handplane book from Amazon & I think you get a small discount. Both are great books.