PDA

View Full Version : first cutting board attempt

John Daugherty
11-23-2006, 7:25 PM
This cutting board is based on the wood magazine plan. The woods are hard maple, cherry and brazilian cherry. It’s approximately 1.25 in thick. 11.5 wide by about 15 long. It's an end grain board. The finish is mineral oil.

This was a fun project to do because my 6 yr. old son helped. He was in charge of clamp tightening and getting glue all over himself and me. I was informed that this one was going to be a Christmas present for his teacher. I had enough wood left over to make a second. My 10-year-old daughter helped me start the glue-up to make one for her teacher for Christmas this morning.

Thanks for looking!

Roy Wall
11-23-2006, 8:07 PM
John,

I'd say your 1 for 1, and about to be 2 for 2! Beautiful work - and the kids helping is way cool!

everett lowell
11-23-2006, 9:06 PM
John,I would'nt call that an attempt,I would call that a complete sucsess!very nice!(almost to good to cut on!?):rolleyes:

Kristian Wild
11-23-2006, 9:52 PM
That's a really nice cutting board! In another six years I hope my six-year old will want to help me with something like that...

Kris

Chuck Wood
11-23-2006, 11:13 PM
John,

You and your childern can be very proud!:D If more parents took the time to show there childern something like woodworking. I believe we would be better for it! All of us!:)

Andrew Melamed
11-23-2006, 11:43 PM
can you use clear pine for a cutting board? Or any other wood avaible from lowes? what finishes can you use?

Jason Tuinstra
11-24-2006, 7:38 PM
Wow, I really like the look of this one. The end grain should be nice for cutting on as well. Great job.

Howard Acheson
11-24-2006, 8:23 PM
>> can you use clear pine for a cutting board? Or any other wood avaible from lowes? what finishes can you use?

Pine is not a good choice. It's too soft and will be quickly damaged by cutting and chopping. The traditional woods for cutting boards are birch, beech and maple. Accent woods are cherry and walnut. You want small pored wood so that harmful juices are not trapped. In general, you are safer to use domestic hardwoods. Some tropicals can be a problem.

The treatment for cutting boards is mineral oil or mineral oil and paraffin. It's totally non-toxic and easily renewable.

Unfortunately, most big boxes do not carry woods to are good for cutting boards. Oak is a large pored wood and can trap food and liquids that can go bad. You need to go to a real lumber yard.

Benjimin Young
11-25-2006, 7:39 AM
John, this is absolutly beautiful. What a great idea getting your kids to help with gluing. !!!
Which wood magazine and issue was the plan in?

Jeffrey Makiel
11-25-2006, 9:37 AM
John,
Judging by the title of your post, I almost didn't click on it. Boy...that would have been my loss. Nice job!
-Jeff :)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-25-2006, 9:41 AM
John...........1st....As someone else stated, this is not an attempt it's a success! 2ndly,......You got your children involved.....PRICELESS! Well done sir!

Stephen Sebed
11-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Oak, even with the pores, works good for a cutting board. I've used one for the past 20 some years and have never had a problem. Just wash the board in some hot soapy water when you're done, nothing special is required to clean it.

Stephen

John Daugherty
11-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. A few family members have seen the finished board. I think I’ve now gone in the cutting board business. They all want one for Christmas!

Benjimin, the plans are in the October issue of Wood. They had several variations shown.