PDA

View Full Version : Long Leaf Pine gets recycled one last time

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2006, 5:41 PM
A while back - in July - my mother gave me four of these.

Bit farther back - in 1983 - she acquired them at a benefit auction for the Katonah, NY Hysterical Society. I do not know why.

Still farther back - in 1903 - the timber was used to build a "pre-fabricated" railroad station canopy in Katonah. It was torn down in 1983 to make way for something called "progress".

Yet even farther back - in 1834 - the timber was used for the first time to build a railroad station canopy at Grand Central Station in New York City. They tore it down in 1901 to make way for something called "progress".

So yesterday, I decided it was high time I messed with some of it.

Didn't take too long to wreck it.

Then last night I was talking with Travis and Mark about this and we determined the best thing to do was just hand it over to Chrystine and let her do some more magic. But just before I turned in last night, I swept up the mess on the floor and found two pieces from the beast. I hadn't bothered looking since I figured it just explodered into a buhzillion itty bitty pieces.

Soooooo - I bust out the Elmers.

50839 50840

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2006, 5:44 PM
And then today I was able to get it complete without further incident. I just oiled the bejeebers out of it and plan to buff it tomorrow.

In the meantime....

50841 50842

Gary Herrmann
11-23-2006, 6:06 PM
Nice save, Andy. Is long leaf pine as dense as people say? I seem to remember someone telling me it may be on par with maple or even a little denser.

Gary DeWitt
11-23-2006, 6:54 PM
Great story. Uh, what is it? Is it red/transparent and lit from iside in the second pic? Is it right side up in the pics? In any case, good save.

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 6:57 PM
Yum!!! Time for you to have another Moxie!! That's an awesome save and an awesome piece.

(BTW, there was an old Ted Williams metal Moxie ad sign in the Ruby Tuesday's we ate at last Saturday night. I tried to take a pic with my phone, but the lighting was bad)

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2006, 7:16 PM
You are the Super Hero of historical heritage. Boy that explosion looked familiar. Really Andy, Great Save!! Up in the branches...it's a bird...no it's a squirl...NO! it's Pine Man!!:eek: :)

Travis Stinson
11-23-2006, 7:54 PM
Now THAT'S a save! Glad it worked out.
Don't screw up the other pieces.:p ;)

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2006, 8:13 PM
Thanks, gents. You too, Travis. :eek:

Gary H - I really can't say. This is actually the third piece of this I've messed with. I got an advance on July's donation back around August of '05. I destroyed one bowl and managed to keep the other one intact. Then, as now the stuff is very brittle and changes shape with variations in rpms. One crosseyed look at it and the stuff usually responds in a most unwelcome way.

Gary D - All right side up. But that last pic was taken upside down with the rim sitting on top of my turning light. Had to do some editing around the top to remove a lot of 100 watt glare (guess I p-shopped some of the shape off as well, oops). That red stuff is pitch. Heat it up with a gouge and the shop smells great!. Sandpaper gums up without even touching it.

Chris - nothing super here. My deepest hope is that one day I might actually spin something to completion that doesn't include a design opportunity or salvage operation.

Just looked at it again. Soaked up a potload of oil and has turned a wonderful shade of reddish orange. I'll get some proper pics tomorrow, if it's dry enough to buff.

Mark Cothren
11-23-2006, 8:59 PM
Excellent!!! Glad you were able to save it!!!

James Manning
11-23-2006, 9:30 PM
Great save Andy,

We process pine-tree stumps where I work, the smell you mentioned when you heat it up is a very familiar smell to me. What you are actually smelling we call terpenes, it is part of the oil fractions we extract along with the rosin (sap) for further processing downstream. I have seen some
very old growth stumps, we have some beautiful slabs made into tables at work in our main office and they were cut from a stump! I will get some
pictures when I go back to work next week.

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2006, 11:13 PM
Beautiful piece and nice save Andy. I like it.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2006, 11:36 PM
Nice save Andy. Post another photo of it when it's finished. Interesting wood.

John Miliunas
11-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Awesome save, Andy! Were it me, it'd be in one of my "give the neighbor some firewood" boxes! :D :cool:

Curt Fuller
11-24-2006, 12:49 AM
Sure glad that wood ended up, at least so far, in your hands. To be able to trace the geneology of a hunk of pine back that far is amazing. Then to have it explode and end up in a trash can would be a crying shame. I'm glad you took the time and effort to resurrect it and add another chapter to it's life. That's the kind of turning story that I like!

David Fried
11-25-2006, 9:00 AM
Nice Andy - I think it's an old wood thing. I've got some 200 year old Chestnut that comes apart on the grain lines when I turn it. Looks pretty but just not stable any longer.

Skip Spaulding
11-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Andy, great save, I really enjoyed the history. Hope You jot it down and keep a copy with the piece. Skip

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2006, 3:57 PM
Sorry for the delay, but this thing just kept sucking up oil. Musta been thirsty after all these years!

Anyway - here 'tis. Buffed oil and stands about 7" tall and 4.5" wide.

50974 50975

50976 50977

Andy Hoyt
11-25-2006, 3:59 PM
And here's a few more. Pretty much the same shot, but each with different settings.

Couldn't decide which one I liked best, so ya get 'em all.

50978 50979 50980

John Miliunas
11-25-2006, 4:19 PM
"Holy blow-out, Batman!" I nominate you for "Save of The Year" award! You can't even tell there was a blowout! :) Great job, man! :) :cool:

Tom Sherman
11-26-2006, 10:04 AM
Wow:eek: for someone who doesn't turn anymore, you did good bud. Hmmm maybe Moxie does have some hidden benefits.Looking good Andy I like the inverted form and the finish is good too.

Brian McInturff
11-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Good Lord! Come clean Andy, that's another vase and not the one with the blowout. You need to come down to the beach and give me a class on Magic:D . That's simply awesome!!

John Hart
11-27-2006, 7:03 AM
Just caught this thread. (must be slippin') :o Wow!!!!:)

Evan Stockton
07-20-2007, 5:36 PM
Wow - I did a search for "NYC" and "New York City" and this thread was in the resulting findings...Glad it was, too - That's a beautiful piece of work, and it even came complete with a bit of history. Thanks for sharing!

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 5:59 PM
Nice save Andy! It must be great to get John Hart to come out of the bushes and make a post! Ohhh, now I see that it's a "Blast from the past."

TYLER WOOD
07-20-2007, 6:14 PM
Nice Andy, but it's still upside down!:p

I actually love the form and the wood. I have some pine I salvaged from an old house. I may have to see what's in it now!

Bill Wyko
07-20-2007, 6:54 PM
I'm all too familiar with days like that.:eek: Watteya gonna doo.:cool: Just get out the glue:rolleyes: . Then whooohoooo it works. :D

Dick Parr
07-20-2007, 8:28 PM
He must have used Moxie to put back together because there are no glue lines.:eek:

Great save Andy, job well done.;)

Bill Wyko
07-20-2007, 9:06 PM
Yea, BTW, it turned out fantastic. Great save.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2007, 9:38 PM
Hey Andy it is a beauty. That has to be the save of the year. Well done. Yep if John came in out of the woods it had to be good. :rolleyes:;)