PDA

View Full Version : A Doug Jones inspired box..........PICS

Gord Graff
11-01-2003, 7:09 PM
Hello Doug,

This spalted beech and padauk box was a result of one of your boxes. While cruising through the Creek one day my wife caught a look at one of the boxes you made and stated that she would like something like that. Of course, I said, “Oh sure honey, I’ll make you one.............. some day”.

She came to me the other day with a drawing and told me now was a good time to make her this box or the next time I sat down for dinner she wouldn’t guarantee what would be in my dinner. So here you have the result of her request. Many thanks for the inspiration and please don’t post any more pictures or I’ll be eating out a lot.

All the best
Gord

Doug Jones
11-01-2003, 7:28 PM
Gord, Excellent work. I really like the difference on the leg work. You also made a good choice on the wood. In your miters did you spline them or just glued them? What is the measurements on the box? Did you line the inside bottom with felt or leave it plain? Now you've made one, you going for more? Hope your wife likes it and uses it well.
Great job, Doug

Gord Graff
11-01-2003, 8:02 PM
Hi Doug,

Thanks for you kind words; I’m glad you like it. Yes, the miters are splined and the box alone measures 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" X 9", the brass rod is 3/32" thick. The inside has the same finish as the outside, lacquer. I’m sure there will be more of these in the future. Thanks again for the inspiration.

All the best
Gord

Tom Sweeney
11-01-2003, 9:27 PM
That's a seriously cool box you made. It's artsy but not too artsy - I really like it. How did you decide on the brass rods, or was it your wife's idea? :cool:

Excellant work!

Julie Wright
11-01-2003, 9:36 PM
That is one really cool looking box. Great Work..
Love the inspiration. Just have to remember to not get onto this site when friends are hanging out, or I might be making boxes for a long while... :cool: :p :)

Matt Bridges
11-01-2003, 11:19 PM
I love that! I like the shape and how the legs make the box "stand up" and not just sit on the table. Excellent work!

Matt

aurelio alarcon
11-02-2003, 1:05 AM
Nice! Very Nice!

Bruce Page
11-02-2003, 2:29 AM
Gord, that a really cool box, The brass rods really set it off!
How about a shot of the top?

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. — Margaret Thatcher

Gord Graff
11-02-2003, 5:35 AM
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your kind words, here's a shot of the top.

All the best
Gord

Gord Graff
11-02-2003, 5:45 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. The brass rods were my idea, I "thought" that it would somehow tie the base together. I'm now of the opinion that the brass rod idea would look a lot better on a box that was made from a darker wood. Perhaps next time.

All the best
Gord

Todd Burch
11-02-2003, 8:19 AM
I've decided I like that style of legs. I think I will try them on a blanket chest style piece next opportunity. they're a bit more contemporary than I typically like, but I think if I mix them with a box-jointed chest, it will be OK. I'll bevel the top outside corners a bit more and sharpen the other corners some. If they look half as good as your box Gord, I'll be happy!

Let's see a box out of some Bubinga! Todd.

Jim Becker
11-02-2003, 9:27 AM
That's an outstanding piece, Gord! The extra height of the legs really makes it a stand-out over many other designs and I also like the brass accent...again, 'cause it's a little different from your basic box. Great job!

Dave Smith
11-02-2003, 4:06 PM
Hi Gord,

I like the brass rods with the legs. Is the box attached to the legs or is it removable? Nice work. Gives me more ideas than I have time for.

Dave Smith

Getting into Christmas gift mode in Longview, WA.