PDA

View Full Version : Pierced Cherry HF

Travis Stinson
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
I've been trying to get some things ready for the big Christmas show next weekend. Started on this one a couple weeks ago and worked on the piercing 15-20 minutes at a time, enough to drive you mad.:( Buffed it this morning while waiting on the peanut oil to heat up in my turkey fryer.:D
7 1/2" by 3", Antique oil finish.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS359c.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/tstin27/TS359a.jpg

Jim Ketron
11-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Beautiful piece Travis!
You do some awesome work and this piece shows off some great skills.

Kurt Rosenzweig
11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Beautiful detail Travis! Gonna have to try some piercing some day. You and Mark shoud be the main attractions at your Christmas shows.

Mark Cothren
11-23-2006, 11:51 AM
You boiled this one in peanut oil??? That's a new one...;) :D

Excellent work! Great detail! The flat black on the inside really sets off the piercing!

Andy Hoyt
11-23-2006, 11:53 AM
The mental image of happy hot dogs comes to mind.

I don't know why, but they do.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Travis, I don't know if you're CRAZY or just VERY TALENTED, but that is TRUE ARTISTRY in wood!

Enjoy your "Planter's Bird."

Bruce

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Ok...is there anything you CAN'T do??? :D Travis, outstanding!

Mark Pruitt
11-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Another great piece! I can only imagine the patience it took.......

Steve Schlumpf
11-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Beautiful work Travis! You never cease to amaze!!

Mark Hulette
11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Travis,

Wow! Love that cherry!

Next time (:D ) you do a piercing piece please include a few pics on your prep work (nice alliteration- sorry).

Did ya count how many little holes?

Karl Laustrup
11-23-2006, 1:30 PM
Travis, Travis, Travis.

Just about the time I think I've seen it all, POW there's Travis posting a pic of a most stunning work. Glad you didn't go completely bonkers cutting all them holes.

I can't see that frying it in peanut oil is going to improve on it's looks at all though. ;) :D

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2006, 1:53 PM
Typically Stinson! Stunning as we have come to expect Travis!

Folks you gotta remember....those Southern Boys will deep fry anything...turkeys.....possum........HFs......I mean anything!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Christopher K. Hartley
11-23-2006, 2:24 PM
Another prize winner! You have a great skill there!:)

Barry Stratton
11-23-2006, 3:41 PM
Amazing! Well done Travis.

I'm anxious to see it after the peanut oil bath as well:rolleyes:

Ed Scolforo
11-23-2006, 4:23 PM
Travis, you just continue to amaze!

Mark Singer
11-23-2006, 5:02 PM
travis,
That is a beauty!

Travis Stinson
11-23-2006, 7:51 PM
Bruce, I'll vote for crazy.;) I swore I'd never do another one after I pierced a vase a year or so back. So I guess I'm good for only one of these a year. By the time I finished it, I can promise you that if I had somehow broken it, it WOULD have been used as fire starter for my turkey pot!:eek:

Brad Kimbrell
11-23-2006, 10:08 PM
You guys are turning out some beautiful work and I'm over here trying to figure out how to chuck some of my stuff!

If I could ask a couple of questions....

1 - How do you do the piercing - layout or freehand on the shapes? I assume you use some sort of flex-shaft tool with a small cutter?

2 - Hand paint or spray inside with black paint? Before or after piercing?

That is one of the most beautiful forms I've seen in my short turning life...

Nice work!

Travis Stinson
11-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks Brad. I cut a thin line for the borders and free handed the openings. "IF" I did this more often, I would get one of those high speed cutters or dental drills. I used a Dremel with carbide cutters.:o
I spray painted the inside flat black before I pierced it.

Brad Kimbrell
11-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks Travis.

Hey, I took a gander at your web site and now I see why you were so capable of doing such a nice job on this particular piece - Your work is awesome!

I love the way that you incorporate blackwood collars and bases on some of your work - it creates a very nice contrast with the beautiful woods that you use.

I received the good news that a turning club is starting up here in Lexington very soon. Also, some of the old timers are giving classes in the near future. I didn't even know that we had any old timer turners around here!

I'll post some of the things that I've turned this week when I get time to make the pics this weekend.

I'll be watching for your next piece - keep up the good work!

Bernie Weishapl
11-23-2006, 10:59 PM
Beautiful and stunning Travis. Don't know what else to say. That is some awesome work.

John Miliunas
11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
Wow, Travis! Gonna' be real hard to add to what's already been said! That is one beautiful piece, my friend! :) I certainly understand the skill involved but, I'm thinking that maybe the skill took a back seat to the patience in doing the piercing! Wonderful work, Travis! :) :cool:

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Yet another beauty there Travis.!!! Awsome work and excellently done. Here's wishing you the best on the up and coming show.

Jonathon Spafford
11-24-2006, 2:47 AM
Awesome Awesome work!!! You are the best!!!!! Really an incredible piece of work!

Pat Doble
11-25-2006, 9:37 PM
Absolutely beautiful piece Travis. You do incredible work.

John Hart
11-26-2006, 7:44 AM
Man that's pretty. My problem would be the patience part. I'd end up slipping and joining two holes...then throwing it as far as I could.:o

The form is awesome.....the whole piece is awesome. Good luck at the show Travis! :)

Brian McInturff
11-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Travis, so when is your next class :D . Your work is just totally awesome. You definitely have the gift.