PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a cedar lining

Mike Cutler
11-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Hey folks.

I've been working on a Horse Blanket Chest/Tack Box for LOML and I am at the point of wanting to attach a spanish cedar lining to the interior. I'm just not sure of the best way to do it. I need the lining to be somewhat removable in case it needs to be repaired at a layer date. Tack trunks are subject to a bit of abuse. Hopefully... LOML says not, the chest will live it's life in a stable subject to changes in temperature and humidity. The Chest is a wenge frame with brazillian cherry panels, and of course the spanish cedar lining.

Here are some pic's of where I am at in the process. The spanish cedar panels are already cut and fitted. They are being held in place by the blue painters tape. The second pic is just to show what the overall project looks like. I'm also strugglig with adding lifting handles to the ends, or leaving as is. The handles are heavy brass, English style Arts &Crafts, bordering on Nouveau style handle(s)

Jamie Buxton
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Removable to me generally means screws. You can get pretty good flathead wood screws which are painted tan. They'd be close to color-matching the cedar. They're deck screws distributed by Phillips, and Home Depot sells them. The shortest are 1 1/4".

If screw heads bother you, use finish small nails. You'll probably damage the panel removing it, but it will have already been damaged anyhow.

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Brads or pin nails...but you could use small flat head screws if you elongate the holes slightly in the cross-grain direction to allow for wood movement.

Mike Cutler
11-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Jamie and Jim.

I think screws are the way to go also. I'll admit, I was looking for a lazier answer. Maybe some form of a construction adhesive or tape that someone knew of. Brass screws will look nice. I may go round head. The cedar is only a 3/16" thick. Might not have enough thickness to countersink
I'll get after it tommorow, I think.
What about Handles on the ends? Any thoughts?

Jamie Buxton
11-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Jamie and Jim.

I think screws are the way to go also. I'll admit, I was looking for a lazier answer. Maybe some form of a construction adhesive or tape that someone knew of. Brass screws will look nice. I may go round head. The cedar is only a 3/16" thick. Might not have enough thickness to countersink
I'll get after it tommorow, I think.
What about Handles on the ends? Any thoughts?

I think that using adhesives -- either tape or construction adhesive -- is not the way to go. If adhesion is good enough to survive the abuse in a tack box, it will be very difficult to undo for repair. If the adhesion is not that good, you may have things falling apart in use.

You can countersink substantial flathead screws into wood which is 3/16" thick. A #8 flathead screw head is less than half that thickness.