PDA

View Full Version : It's ROUND!

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-01-2003, 1:41 PM
I felt compelled to compliment the "It's SQUARE" post with an "It's ROUND" post. :D This is a Box Elder Bowl that I turned about a week ago. My Mom wanted a Bowl for Mixed Nuts for the Holiday Season, and I thought it would be nice to make her one from the Box Elder that came from my Folks property. I think this will do nicely! ;) I like the "foot" detail, although I am not sure that is the proper term for it, but it works for me. :) Anyway, I finished this bowl with Tung Oil and buffed it with the Beall System. I think Mom will like it............Dad told me to quit bringing turned stuff over to the house..........he said it is getting to be a pain to drag the stuff everywhere they go so Mom can show it off! :D So, just to be the Son they are used to, I am turning more and more stuff for the Folks............Dad should have kept that one to himself! :p Anyway, I appreciate the opportunity to share my ongoing pursuit of turning with all my friends on the banks of the Creek! Thanks for looking.

Mike Evertsen
11-01-2003, 4:00 PM
Kevin that is a great looking bowl,,,,,,,are you near Herrin IL,,,,

Terry Quiram
11-01-2003, 4:26 PM
Now thats funny. Tell dad you are going to glue magnets to them so mom can put them on the refrigerater. Nice bowl.

Terry

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-01-2003, 5:12 PM
Mike, I am about 100 miles North of Herrin, in Troy, which is at the intersection where Interstate 55 & 70 intersect. I have been thru Herrin a few times though, so I am familiar with that neck of the woods.

Terry, that is even funnier than my Dad's responsed to the Turnings! :D
However, I think I will pass on that idea...............I see no sense to make them so handy that they can be used as projectiles to be thrown at me when I walk thru the door. ;) (He likes my turnings, he just gets tired of carrying the box that Mom packs them in!) :p Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it muchly. :D

Dave Richards
11-01-2003, 5:20 PM
...he just gets tired of carrying the box that Mom packs them in!

Maybe he's really asking you to make a new box for her to pack them in. :D

Nice work.

Glenn Hodges
11-01-2003, 8:29 PM
Like the bowl, the foot looks like it belongs on it. Did the wood come from your property? Good looking wood.

Tom Sweeney
11-01-2003, 9:21 PM
sorry I couldn't resist :D
I like the look the foot detail too Kevin - nice job.

But I do think you should of turned it of holly instead - seeing as how it's a nut bowl for the holidays. Ya Know deck the halls with bowls of holly :D

I have one on the lathe now that looks like it might actually survive :rolleyes: I'll be posting a gloat as to why next :-)