PDA

View Full Version : Former 'lurker' .. coming clean

Dick Rowe
11-23-2006, 5:50 AM
Hello,

After learning a lot from the sidelines, I decided that it was time to start participating here as a member.

Brief background .. I live in Wausau, Wisconsin with my wife Chris. I have two grown daughters .. between my wife and daughters my woodworking 'job security' is safe for another 75 years!

I played guitar and sang in a local classic rock band for over 30 years. We recently retired the band because of 'old age'. I know, I know .. the Rolling Stones are older than us, but they didn't have to lug all their gear to each gig and drive back home 200 miles, at 3:00am, in a blizzard.

My real job has been in the I.T. field. After 25 years with my current company (the last 6 as VP of I.T.) I am going to retire Dec 1st .. so I should have a lot more time to start 'perfecting' my woodworking hobby.

I have a small, but cozy basement shop, and I like all aspects of woodworking (especially custom cabinetry) .. but I haven't developed any interest in turning ... yet.

I know that the picture police will jump all over me if I don't add some 'proof' that I do woodworking, so I am going to attempt to add some photos. I apologize in advance if I whack the photo thing on my first post, and I don't claim to be much of a photographer, but here goes ...

This is a picture of a corner of my shop. You can see that I have built a copy of the Norm router table (love it), and you can also see a custom cabinet I made for my miter saw with folding extension arms.

The following is a picture of a walnut blanket chest I made last year for my oldest daughters wedding. I lined it with aromatic cedar veneer which I resawed myself.

I have (under orders from LOML) been building the mission bedroom set that was in Wood magazine a while back. I have completed the bed and two side tables. My first 'post-retirement' assignment is to build two of the matching dressers. Below is the bed, and you can see parts of the side tables. (my wife does quilting, so some of her work is visible also).

Sorry to be so long winded with my first post, and I hope to be able to continue to make useful contributions to the forums going forward.

Karl Laustrup
11-23-2006, 6:28 AM
Welcome Dick. Nice to have another Badger here at the forum. We keep this up and we might catch up with them southern boys.

Thanks for the pics. If you get down this way give a holler.

Karl

Jack Dickey
11-23-2006, 6:52 AM
Yawl'll never catch us !!!
Ah come on now Dick , you sure that aint YOUR quilting ???
Welcome , from way down deep in the Heart of Dixie

John Hart
11-23-2006, 7:44 AM
Welcome Dick....congratulations on the retirement. Nice Work...you'll be an asset 'round these parts. :)

Mitchell Andrus
11-23-2006, 7:52 AM
Hello,

After learning a lot from the sidelines, I decided that it was time to start participating here as a member.

Former lurker, current contributor. Thanks and welcome.

Mitch

Thomas Herview
11-23-2006, 8:11 AM
Welcome from a "displaced" Wisconsin guy. I come from a small town about 30 miles N of the Dells.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-23-2006, 8:56 AM
Welcome to the Creek Dick! Nice projects! I'm sure we can all learn from you!

Bob Childress
11-23-2006, 9:29 AM
Welcome Dick! You've picked a great place to dive in. Judging from your work, I'll be learning from you regularly. :)

John Miliunas
11-23-2006, 9:43 AM
Well hot dawg...We got us another Cheesehead! Welcome to SMC, Dick! :D And, I'd say you're off to a splendid start here, pics, donation and all! Looks like you have yourself a nice shop there and those projects are beautiful, especially that bed! Well done, sir! :) Hope to see much more of your input and projects. :) :cool:

Jim Becker
11-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Welcome aboard! And congrats on your upcoming retirement!

Karl Laustrup
11-23-2006, 1:18 PM
Welcome from a "displaced" Wisconsin guy. I come from a small town about 30 miles N of the Dells.

Let's see where that would be. Necedah, Adams-Friendship, New Lisbon.
Am I getting close?

Karl
From the "Dells", about 30 miles south of where you were.

John Miliunas
11-23-2006, 2:13 PM
Let's see where that would be. Necedah, Adams-Friendship, New Lisbon.
Am I getting close?

Karl
From the "Dells", about 30 miles south of where you were.

Did someone say, "Adams Friendship"???? :D :D :D (Sorry folks...Inside joke. :p ) :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
11-23-2006, 10:09 PM
From an honorary "cheesehead" (they let me visit the state once each year), Welcome!! Nice job on the chest and bedroom set...

Roy Wall
11-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Beautiful work!!! Love these projects you've shared.....excellent!

Welcome to SMC!

Dennis Peacock
11-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Welcome to SMC Dick!!! Nice looking shop and very nice looking projects you have finished up there. Glad to have you as a member here on SMC.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family. :)

John Bailey
11-24-2006, 3:35 AM
Welcome aboard Dick.

From looking at your projects, it looks like you still "Rock."

John

Gary Herrmann
11-24-2006, 9:01 AM
Welcome, Dick. Look forward to seeing more projects.

Phyllis Meyer
11-24-2006, 5:54 PM
Welcome from 35 miles away! Beautiful work on the pictures you posted! Check your PM, and most importantly...did you get your deer? Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Phylls

Dick Rowe
11-24-2006, 7:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

No Jack, that isn't my quilt work ... I do needlepoint :)

No deer yet Phyllis, but 'holy week' isn't over until Sunday .. I still have time!