PDA

View Full Version : SawStop Accessories - Which ones???

Glen Blanchard
11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
From the SS website I see that the accessories are fence, zero clearance insert and brake cartridge. I know the fence does not come with the saw - it is indeed an accessory. What about these other items? Does it come with a zero clearance insert? What about the brake cartirdge?

Also - what are folks doing about a mobile base?

One more question. SS does not sell direct? Only through dealers?

John Kain
11-22-2006, 11:42 PM
I've test driven the sawstop numerous times.

The standard fence sold by sawstop is fantastic. Easy to adjust, easy to shim if need be (for whatever reason.)

I believe you can order from Sawstop direct or through retail. Depending on where you live, usually a retail woodworking shop is the cheaper way to go.

You should order an extra brake for the rip blade and for the dado (if you use one).

Just make a zero clearance insert yourself.

I'd take the plunge on the mobile base instead of buying a generic one of building your own. I like to have bases custom to the machine in my experience, but whatever you like.

Glen Blanchard
11-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I'd take the plunge on the mobile base instead of buying a generic one of building your own. I like to have bases custom to the machine in my experience, but whatever you like.

Does SS make a mobile base?

Mark Singer
11-22-2006, 11:46 PM
I got the SS fence and really like it! I dot a dado cartridge and dado insert. I also got the 54" wider rail and table

John Kain
11-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Does SS make a mobile base?

I had spoken to a rep a couple months ago who said a base could be accessorized. I have no idea what the cost is. I'm assuming it isn't outrageous, but isn't the cheapest in the bunch either.

Jim Murphy
11-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I bought the HTC custom mobile base for my SawStop. It works great. It is Model No. HST-3274-EX. I ordered it directly from HTC (www.htcproductsinc.com (http://www.htcproductsinc.com)). I think it cost $229.00 plus shipping.

John Bush
11-22-2006, 11:54 PM
The HTC base is designed to fit the SS and works well. I think it's worth the $$$. I bought an extra brake cartridge as well as the dado cartridge and insert. I had a 6" dado set and had to buy an 8" set because the sensor only works with that size. I had a Bies on my old CS so the SS clone was a good choice. Enjoy your new saw. JCB.

John Bush
11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Glen, I just caught a glimpse of the centrals on your avatar; must be A5 or maybe B97!!

John Kain
11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I bought the HTC custom mobile base for my SawStop. It works great. It is Model No. HST-3274-EX. I ordered it directly from HTC (www.htcproductsinc.com (http://www.htcproductsinc.com)). I think it cost $229.00 plus shipping.

It's entirely possible the rep would have referred me to a product like the HTC. I just assumed it was a SS manufactured product.

Glen Blanchard
11-23-2006, 12:04 AM
Glen, I just caught a glimpse of the centrals on your avatar; must be A5 or maybe B97!!

Hey. Watch it. Those centrals belong to someone I know very well!! :eek:

Ted Baca
11-23-2006, 1:14 AM
Glem I spoke with a SS rep today and he tells me they will have mobile base out next spring to mid year. It is 1/4 steel construction will sit under the cabinet only so no extension for the table. It works on the PM2000 very nicely. He also tells me it will have hyd.bottle jack with afoot pump for elevation. I am ordering a saw friday and will go without the base for now and wait for theirs.

Mike Heidrick
11-23-2006, 1:30 AM
I ordered the saw (5HP accessory option)
SS Fence - 52"
52" Extension table
One 8" Dado brake
A 2nd regular 10" blade brake
One Dado insert
A 2nd Regualr insert.
HTC mobile base direct from HTC (it arrived today)
10" Forrest WWII
8" Forrest Dado King

I am not sure if the 2nd regualr insert is zero clearence or not. I know the one that comes with it is close to zero clearence but not perfectly zero clearence like one you plunge cut.

I already have Board Buddies I can install.

Now to decide if I am going to make a new router table for the PRL or install it in the extension table or design a new extension table made for the PRL.

Mike

Walt Caza
11-23-2006, 6:14 AM
I've test driven the sawstop numerous times.

The standard fence sold by sawstop is fantastic. Easy to adjust, easy to shim if need be (for whatever reason.)

I believe you can order from Sawstop direct or through retail. Depending on where you live, usually a retail woodworking shop is the cheaper way to go.

You should order an extra brake for the rip blade and for the dado (if you use one).

Just make a zero clearance insert yourself.

Good Day All,
In response to John K's post, I am afraid I see things a little different.
-to be clear, the SS fence has plenty of adjustments, no shimming...
-SS is price protected, we all pay the same, nowhere is cheaper...
-yes, reg blade brake cartridge works with 10" diameter,
while dado cartridge is thicker to work with 8" diamter dado only
-I have yet to see any homemade ZC table inserts,
the SS inserts have many unique features, hard to do yourself...

these include:
-rear lock down screws which catch two other screws on the insert bed
-4mm front insert lock down screw (takes 3mm hex wrench, included)
-metal wings toward the rear of the insert, where the sharp and
tightly sprung anti-kickback pawls make contact, or they would shred
the insert over time
-the SS insert is specifically non-conductive, to not interfere with the
low voltage brake sensing system
-four corner leveling screws to flush to table top
-front and right hand side positioning screws to prevent the insert
from rattling
-undercuts machined into the bottom to relieve arbour at height
-the front lock-down screw screws into an adjustable threaded bushing
that prevents the lock-down screw from pulling the front of the table
insert too low !
-clearance for the riving knife or blade guard/splitter quick mount
-same insert works through full range of blade tilt for bevels
-SS insert is black and looks sweet, if it matters to you?
-SS insert comes with saw
SS dado insert is true Zero clrnc, you cut it thru yourself, and surprisingly
it is made of hardwood, mine is walnut
(possible flatness stability issues over time?...I am a bit concerned)

So, while I suppose a homemade ZC insert is doable, these are the
dozen reasons why I have not attempted it myself.
I would love to hear from anyone who has built a homemade insert.

Sorry to see it different,
Walt

ps just the SS table insert alone, offers a clue about the quality and well thought out design of this amazing tool...
*there is nothing in small dreams to stir the heart.......
:)

Glen Blanchard
11-23-2006, 8:35 AM
Okay, if I undsrestand correctly, the saw comes with one zero clearance insert and one brake for a 10" blade. These are included in the purchase price of the saw. Is this correct?

Mark Singer
11-23-2006, 8:52 AM
Okay, if I undsrestand correctly, the saw comes with one zero clearance insert and one brake for a 10" blade. These are included in the purchase price of the saw. Is this correct?

Yes! That is correct

Mike Heidrick
11-23-2006, 8:55 AM

Yes that is correct.