PDA

View Full Version : Bench seat hinge question...

David Rose
02-25-2003, 9:04 PM
I'm building a bench seat for LOMLWMBO. Hard maple is the wood. The seat is 3/4"x36"x15". Wife says, "THREE hinges? It would sure(ly) look better with two". OK. I showed here where I thought they should go. She said, "they should go here". The "here" places them 26" apart. That means the seat is supported at the ends with cleats and entire front and 5" from each end (hinges). That leaves 26" (between inside hinge edges) unsupported at the back. The hinges are inlet into the hinge strip where she wanted them.

I tend to go overkill on everything, so maybe she is right. The maple is pretty rigid. What thinkest thou more experienced builders?

It would be a "little" easier to fit the center hinge now than after assembly. I offered to install a support block at the center and she would rather have another hinge if you think it needs it.

David, who does not wish to incur the wrath of LOMLWMBO, but want this to be a "hair"loom.

Ken Salisbury
02-25-2003, 9:10 PM
You probably don't need 3 hinges. However, put on 2 and make SWMBO happy. Life will be so much better.

p.s. Tell her I said Hey !

David Rose
02-25-2003, 9:16 PM
who thinks it needs 3 hinges. She's not the "overkiller", it's me.

I told her you said "hi". Cheryl said next meeting she wants to try the lathe. DON'T YOU DARE! All I need is one more tool... that isn't my choice! :D

David

Terry Hatfield
02-25-2003, 9:39 PM
David,

Are you ever going to finish that bench or is it what we used to call a "career project"????

Didn't we have this hinge deal worked out months ago???

Back to the subject. I'm sure you are supporting it well on the sides and front so I think 2 hinges would be fine. You are both skinny people after all!!! Now if Payton and I were going to sit on it all the time......

OK.... back to my hole...

Terry

Bob Lasley
02-25-2003, 9:47 PM
Two hinges or a knot on your head? I don't think you would look so good with a knot on your head. :D

I agree with Terry and Ken, two will do it.

Bob

Terry Hatfield
02-25-2003, 9:49 PM
Is that your drivers liscence picture or what??? he he

T

Bob Lasley
02-25-2003, 9:56 PM
my drivers license mug shot is much better than this one. This is one SWMBO snapped of me the other night. Good'un, huh?

Bob

David Rose
02-25-2003, 10:07 PM
Here's what I've done since I started the bench... acclimated the wood to the shop, whittled on it to get thickness, reacclimated, whittled some more, built the RM mortiser, flattened the warped wood, built the RM router table assembly, tried to unwarp the RM router table assembly, bought another Dewalt to go in the RM router table assembly, built sophisticated combo fence for router table, flattened the project maple again, built a torsion box stand for the miter saw so the splats would all be the same length, recut the splats so they would be the same length, built daughter a pine chest for Christmas, flattened the maple again, bought the Delta 2-speed planer to eliminate snipe of the old one, worked on Delta 2-speed planer to try to eliminate snipe, bought a carbide blade for the bandsaw and built new "0" clearance inserts for it, tried to get bandsaw to track on wheels, give up on getting bandsaw to track on wheels since it tracked in wood fine, built a router edge guide since factory would not fit thicker base plate, flattened maple realizing it was getting thin, let it acclimate and forced it flat, got severe hives and chronic utricaria from breathing too much spalted maple sanding dust, sanded more on the spalted maple with a new (used) Breathe Easy system, ... getting tired of this...

Bob needs more pixels in his photo. He REALLY doesn't look that bad folks! Not that I care, I've seen Terry before.

David

Terry Hatfield
02-25-2003, 10:14 PM
David,

So what did you do in your spare time????

Seriously...are you about to get the bench done?? I need to stop by and see it in person. I'll try to do that in the next few days if we don't get totally snowed in.

Terry

David Rose
02-25-2003, 10:15 PM
So 2 (two [dos]) hinges it is! Thanks to Terry, Ken, and Bob for all taking the responsibility of this move. It's great to have some good friends to lay something like this, that may fail, on. Ken can turn the remains after Bob routes the dailights out of it, and Terry can sand the remains out on his Performax. Oh, and Terry can suck the remains up into his new cyclone!

Oops! Ken said "3 hinges" so I guess he's out. We'll get him some other way.

David:D

David Rose
02-25-2003, 10:22 PM
a few minutes each night. But yeah, I'm getting close. I'm trying to prefinish everything that I can, so... the guy who said "half the time is in the finishing" should be shot. I think he's right.

As of now, you can see all the splats (finished), the front and rear panels (finished), and the ends in progress (shaped, milled and started finishing). Seat and bottom are still just glued up panels uncut.

I'm closer than I thought. I better quit talking nonsense with you guys and get something done. :D

David

Terry Hatfield
02-25-2003, 10:27 PM
I hate the finishing part. It seems to take me forever. I think that's because I don't like the finishing nearly as much as the building. Maybe I need to go into the unfinished furniture business.

Now ...get back to work so Cheryl will have something to sit on!!

See ya soon,

Terry

David Rose
02-26-2003, 6:13 PM
OK, Terry. Here's the situation. Payton can sit on the bench anytime. You, buddy... well, you better "sit easy". :D

Yours in sawdust,

David

Terry Hatfield
02-26-2003, 10:39 PM
HEY!!!!!

He weighs more than I do....course he's 6'5"!!!! he he

T

David Rose
02-26-2003, 10:55 PM
of privalege than weight. On second thought, how 'bout you test it before anyone gets hurt. That is just in case you guys were all wrong about 2 hinges being enough. :D

David

Terry Hatfield
02-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Didn't I vote for 3????:)

David Rose
02-26-2003, 11:22 PM
2 would be fine. Now SIT!

David:mad: